Turbo Resonance Dampener Removal

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
so I'm thinking you removed the intercooler pipe down at the cooler?

I kinda wonder if cutting the turbo muffler at the big side of the bend and adding something like this to compensate for the bend instead..??
(note this is just an example I'm not sure if these are the correct size tubing)

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/product_info.php?cPath=14&products_id=907&osCsid=311b7910edee1e124feb37b80f25df50

it would be cheap and easy...and would get less heat soak then a alum version....

No. I disconnected the rubber line from the plastic tube running down to the intercooler. While not a bad idea, I would recommend generally avoiding silicone tubes for this kind of stuff, especially for bends, as it tends to need to be retightened from time to time, and generally, bends are more prone to blowing off than straight pieces.

So what again are the real world gains on the mod?
You gain some sound and about 5 Kilofonzies of coolness.

CRJSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Well if I can t be fast Im damn sure going to sound like Im fast. Im going to do this while I do the DP . Thanks for sharing!

mamock116

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
took 2.5 hours for this one but it was not that bad. I can now hear the turbo whistle. as far as better fuel mileage I do not know because I was getting down on it all the way home from his house. I also believe that the turbo spools sooner. Def glad I did this mod.

mamock116

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
after some further testing, the car has better throttle response in all the gears. I just can't figure out why VW would but that restictor in there. so stupid.

fred1331

TDI
2010 jetta
i will be doing this mod for sure. toeball have you done anything with changing crankcase vent system????? ive change mine to vent outside an not in the intake. noticed the car seems to drive easier and nomore nastyness in intercooler or intercooler tubes. but i think im goin to plumb it into the exhaust after last cat because of slight odor an little bit of smoke

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2010 JSW - retired
53 Willys,

Thanks for taking the time for the additional pics and info!

Onefast66nova

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2014 golf
Just called the dealer and priced the normal part so I could hollow it out and make a quick swap. They wanted 190 for that small piece of plastic tube! So I guess it is just cut mine out.

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2010 JSW - retired
Just called the dealer and priced the normal part so I could hollow it out and make a quick swap. They wanted 190 for that small piece of plastic tube! So I guess it is just cut mine out.

Well you know that those over complicated manufactured pieces of plastic is gonna cost ya big bucks. I mean it's got the baffles that go "woo woo" :D or is it lack there of "woo woo" :confused:

Onefast66nova

TDI
2014 golf
Ya it is the WOO WOO that im looking for. Just thought it would be cheaper but I guess those baffels are gold. LOL

Rauss

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf TDI MKVI
Woo Woo project this weekend. I was waiting for that piece of aluminium... now I'll pass some time in the garage.

Onefast66nova

TDI
2014 golf
Well did this last night and like all is saying took right at 2 hours. Longest part was handy work with the dremel. No gains felt by seat felt by seat of pants but slightly louder. Also removed snow screen at the same time.

53 willys

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI~LOVE/HATE~
Well did this last night and like all is saying took right at 2 hours. Longest part was handy work with the dremel. No gains felt by seat felt by seat of pants but slightly louder. Also removed snow screen at the same time.

I did not notice any big diff either....just a very slight increase in turbo sound on take off....not even noticeable if the windows are up....

Onefast66nova

TDI
2014 golf
Ya me either. Not like I was hoping anyways. Can't wait till warranty is up then u will really hear my car ;) ya I removed the maze. That's what I call the snow screen.

Rauss

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf TDI MKVI
Done it this weekend, did a 60 miles frequently used road and on the avg mpg I got better consumption by 0.2 l/100km(not that much but there is an improvement). Took 2 hours to do like others, clearly the guide helped but there is a lack of informations. At first it is scary to do but after with the right tools it's good. Turbo whistle is not... turbo hiss it is. Sounds like my previous PD(from the turbo point of view. Removed the plastic maze. Throttle response changed but no gain, just change. Turbo his is only noticable before 3000rpm like everyone says after that engine is too loud. Clearly when I'll go with summer setup i'll be in a better position to evaluated the real changes. Clearly we need a aluminum copy of that piece because it is a question of time before someone take that guide and screw up the piece of plastic that worth a tiny bit of money. Well I think, I could bring some clarifications to the guide but I don't know if you want it. ;)

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Kubvan, mk2 golf, mk6 golf
I made a demo one up for a customer two weeks ago... I have two more metal ones ready to go for those looking for better gains than hollowing out the oem one let me know ;).

Also, I am doing a run of 50 anti shudder valve and hp egr delete parts, and just egr deletes with options for boost, nos, or w/m ports :) Fun times in tdi land.. Just too busy to post! check out my facebook page IIRC I posted pics up for you guys!

Onefast66nova

TDI
2014 golf
I made a demo one up for a customer two weeks ago... I have two more metal ones ready to go for those looking for better gains than hollowing out the oem one let me know ;).

Also, I am doing a run of 50 anti shudder valve and hp egr delete parts, and just egr deletes with options for boost, nos, or w/m ports :) Fun times in tdi land.. Just too busy to post! check out my facebook page IIRC I posted pics up for you guys!
U say better gains over the hollow stock one? Is it that much bigger of an I.D?