Turbo Resonance Dampener Removal

Killabee228

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen manual
From what I can tell there are only (2) options:

1. Canabalize the original with a Dremmel.

2. Buy the Neuspeed part for $130'ish.

I haven't gotten to it myself yet.

Pretty much. I like the neuspeed one that I have in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT (and several others in the past)
I like the neuspeed one that I have in.
If I do it, I'm just going to buy the Neuspeed part. My plan is to install that along with an aftermarket intake (Rawtek being the front runner for me right now) and dyno the car again to see if there were any gains beyond Stage 2. I'd be really pleased if both Neuspeed & Rawtek weren't lying on their respective dyno charts and I was able to gain a little more in off-peak torque & HP.

goodysgotacuda

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Goft TDI/6spd & Jetta TDI/DSG
Hogged my OEM one out today, but I can't say it was worth the time. Feels the same and sounds -slightly- louder. On the other side, I'm glad I didn't pay $140 for the Neuspeed one, I can't see it making a substantial difference vs the hogged OEM.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Looks like the EA288 uses a similar silencer. I may take a look when I do my oil change next weekend, and do some tweaking.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
My IC pipe which goes straight after the turbo/damper outlet was cracked. Meanwhile I got rid of the damper by gutting its internals as described in #115 post.

I have done this yesterday and I can tell that it's noticeable that the turbo has become a bit more responsive.
I can't see any side effects (increased sound, whistle, or anything else) but hey, I never drive with windows down...

As for fuel economy, it's a bit to early to judge as I have done this only yesterday.

All in all: Happy with doing this.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
If anyone is interested, I have got a spare damper with the internals removed in excellent shape. Can sell/ship to anyone in Europe. Fits any TDI-CR except EA288. PM me for more details.

arlio101

TDI
1.6 tdi (CAYC)
New to this forum just 1 hour ago !! I love it already, im gona while away hiurs reading some of these threads i can predi t that already ! I may have found my automotive home !!!

After reading some of this fantastic information people, i am still having issues locating the factory inlet damper on my UK spec mk6 golf 1.6tdi (CAYC)
I am just wanting to free up rhe breathing really, maybe if the turbo spools quicker that'll be a bonus...but im doing it to just 'treat' my poor golf to the 'breathing through a straw affliction!' More mods will come after my dpf has THE TREATMENT !!

I can provide a few pics, would someone.....anyone be able to draw a rough arrow to the part in question. I am kinda trch savvy, but this is my first diesel car ever !! And ive been driving since 1988 !

I'll take a few pics shortly (in the dark with a flash) and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Garrison

Veteran Member
TDI
Stg 3 - 2011 JSW
This is a rough guide. I found it easier to put it in a vice and beat it out with a hammer and socket - comes out pretty quickly, and then you just file to clean it up

New to this forum just 1 hour ago !! I love it already, im gona while away hiurs reading some of these threads i can predi t that already ! I may have found my automotive home !!!

After reading some of this fantastic information people, i am still having issues locating the factory inlet damper on my UK spec mk6 golf 1.6tdi (CAYC)
I am just wanting to free up rhe breathing really, maybe if the turbo spools quicker that'll be a bonus...but im doing it to just 'treat' my poor golf to the 'breathing through a straw affliction!' More mods will come after my dpf has THE TREATMENT !!

I can provide a few pics, would someone.....anyone be able to draw a rough arrow to the part in question. I am kinda trch savvy, but this is my first diesel car ever !! And ive been driving since 1988 !

I'll take a few pics shortly (in the dark with a flash) and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

arlio101

TDI
1.6 tdi (CAYC)
Thanks for this, brilliant insight into where it is, and how to do it. I appreciate this a lot. Top man. 👍👍👍👍👍

This is a rough guide. I found it easier to put it in a vice and beat it out with a hammer and socket - comes out pretty quickly, and then you just file to clean it up