www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old August 7th, 2011, 08:51   #1
theflyingturtle

Default Poor fueling when cold? Cold-blooded?

You simply cannot be more newb than I! I dare you. My wife and I are the proud owners of a new TDI Sportwagen and so far we LOVE it! Where have turbocharged diesels been all my life? It is the first "driver's car" I have ever had. Right now we are overwhelmed at all the info regarding VW TDIs and we can see the learning curve is very steep at first. So far everything has been running smoothly but I have noticed that when the car is first started up and driven it surges and hesitates, if that is an apt description. Perhaps shuddering is a better word. Like a poorly jetted motorcycle with a tight spot in the drive chain. Sport mode makes it a little better due to the higher rpms but in reading this site I have not heard anyone mention this so I thought I should ask. Thanks.
theflyingturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2011, 10:47   #2
TDiSkater
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35 Winter/41 Summer

Actually lots of cold engine performance posts and threads on topic. Assuming it is what a number of us experience, you'll figure out how to get it going with minimum bucking. It was actually my newbie fear on this issue that I found TDI club.

I have DSG tranny also and I drive it in D until I get my first shift, then I drop it to S and run in up to 2500+ RPMs for the first mile. Drop it back to drive and motor on. From what I've read, particularly some posts from Oilhammer, there are a number of engine adjustments and flaps that have to set. Which is what is suspected as the cause of this behavior. Mine has done this from day one and it's not a biggie. I did have dealer check early on and they said normal (at least "VW" normal )

Some report DSG issues when cold, I don't seem to have that as I can tell, but advice that seems to work for them is to not immediately put foot from brake to accelerator (2 second pause at a light or stop). Something about the computer sending a clutch command.

Oh, one other suggestion. Try to run up some RPMs before stopping. I park in a lot at work with several close stop signs. I usually run my car around the small lot before hitting those signs. Takes 20 seconds and I experience very little bucking.

VW-OEM European Steel Skidplate | 35% LLumar Tint all around | Pano Sunroof | ScanGauge II | WeatherTech Weatherflectors and Digital Fit Floorliners l Faux TDI Mirror Etching l RGM Bumper Guard | Conti PureContact | Non-OEM Aspherical Mirrors - $3 Blind Spot Mirror | 70,000 miles |

Last edited by TDiSkater; August 7th, 2011 at 11:04.
TDiSkater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2011, 11:17   #3
theflyingturtle

All is well then. Thanks so much for the reply.
theflyingturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2011, 11:31   #4
Mike in Anchorage
Veteran Member

You'll see increasingly better running and lower fuel usage as it breaks in. There is a breakin procedure posted somewhere on the 101 forum that gives good info. Welcome & check back often.
~ I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. Marilyn Monroe
2015 Tornado Red Golf TDI Sportwagen SE, new on 2 SEP 2017, DSG, big sunroof. Lovin it!
Mike in Anchorage is offline   Reply With Quote