ECU Swap

Mantgm240

TDI
2003 1.9 AWX
Having trouble with my immobilizer and it seems the cheapest fix is to buy the ecu, cluster, ccm and keys off eBay and swap them.

I have no problem doing this myself and have vcds if needed, also the kit comes with everything programmed together so it should be a straight forward swap with no codes needed and all that.

But what if the ecu P/N is different, eg:
Mine is:
038906019GL

the one i will purchase has different letters and the end but the same numbers, will this make any difference as i am changing everything anyway and the engine codes are the same?

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Better off getting a tuner to delete the immobilizer in yours

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
numbers and letters should all match, you can send your present ECU out to one of the members that delete the immobilizer.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
numbers and letters should all match
Sort of but not really.
Being that there were 3 software versions of the GP issue, each with its own part which you have to read with VCDS, and they will differ from what's on the label, you are best to keep what you have and delete the immobilizer

Mantgm240

TDI
2003 1.9 AWX
Thanks for the replys.
The ecu was changed before, i dont know what the original one was but the current one is
038906019GL, but doing some research theses were used for the avb engine and not the awx, so maybe it was changed to the wrong one, ive also had problems with rough starts and not enough power. Maybe the wrong ecu was fitted?

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Even if you delete the immo, if the key doesn't match the cluster the light will still be on. Also, once the immo is deactivated on any of the ECU's, it is no longer possible to adapt keys so the light is stuck on.

theodore

TDI
2) 1996 b4 Passat
I think i read somewhere that ECU and cluster must match, also heard that odometer zeros at 300,000???
FALSE? Swaping in both from donor, 028 906 021 FA

pdtdiarl

TDI
golf4
Delete immo, and with the money you saved, install a car alarm, which its much safer than vw immo.