overboosting? will a tune fix it?

leonwold

TDI
2003 jetta
Hi I have a 2003 tdi with brand new 205 nozzles and a tuning box set to max power. When I had it to the floor climbing a hill I think it overboosted because it went into limp mode. I'm getting a stage 3 tune from Malone soon, and I was wondering if their tune will take care of that? If anyone knows at least. Also these cars are new to me, and I have a pyro but I was wondering what a dangerous temp is? I've never seen it get above 700 yet.

Dieselducky

Veteran Member
TDI
88 Jetta Diesel - 2000 Jetta TDI - 04 BMW M3 - 06 Kia Rio - F350 Superduty - 87 Buick GNX - Mobile Cranes
Does it still overboost if you turn your box down or remove it? If there is something wrong with the car tuning it will not fix/mask the issue. How many kms on the car? Have you changed your clutch yet? With that kind of tune, your stock clutch will have a very short life

leonwold

TDI
2003 jetta
it wasnt doing it before with the box turned up, just did it when i put the bigger injectors in. i assume it wouldnt do it if i turned the box down. car has 260xxxkm, vr6 clutch, 2.5 inch strait pipe exhaust. im gonna take the box out once i get a tune of course, just wondering if the tune remaps the turbo so it can work with the power

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
The box along with the nozzles is over fueling causing the ecu to try and compensate with boost I'd imagine but of course it's very rough/crude at best and isn't coping.
Most tuning boxes are just like the evry mod with a poxy resistor.

Try the car without the box and see if it's ok, if it is just get the tune and leave the box off. I have had to replace a prematurely broken turbo that somehow self destructed after a tuning box was fitted. Not my car of course but everything was perfect before, tuning box on, month or so later turbo ruined.

leonwold

TDI
2003 jetta
ya ill just turn the box down to zero. i have a flashzilla i just need to send malone my data and buy a tune. im imagining i wont have problems with the turbo after a tune since that remaps it. then ill sell the tuning box

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Check the spring tension on your turbo actuator.
Ensure it takes at least 4"hg mercury to cause it to start moving.

Many ALH engines are starting to show minor overboost due to poor spring tension; it is often easily corrected.