Chevron Diesel with Techron D?

JayDiesel

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan DSG Black
Hello All:

Noticed some Chevron stations selling and advertising (with signs) about their new Diesel with Techron D. Anybody have any info on this? Thank you all.

Aedion

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Techron-D is only available at select stations in Sacramento, CA. according to the post in the fuel economy thread it has a cetane rating of 51 vs 49 for regular Chevron diesel.
since you live in the area, do you know if the price of techron-D more than regular chevron diesel?

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Techron is an excellent additive.

I have to add it to my fuel this way.

:)

JayDiesel

TDI
Aedion said:
Techron-D is only available at select stations in Sacramento, CA. according to the post in the fuel economy thread it has a cetane rating of 51 vs 49 for regular Chevron diesel.
since you live in the area, do you know if the price of techron-D more than regular chevron diesel?
Hello Aedion:

Actually as I can recall, I think all of the Chevrons I happen to drove by were all selling the same Techron D diesel so I had no comparison. :) Your research answered my other question as to why I do not see the same product offerings outside of Sacramento...

JayDiesel

TDI
BKmetz said:
Techron is an excellent additive.

I have to add it to my fuel this way.

:)
I'll keep my eye open for this bottle next time around. Thanks for pointing that they sell the additive since I do not see any Chevron stations in the bay area selling Diesel with Techron D.

Aedion

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
i didnt know they had a techron additive bottle for diesels! ill be keeping a look out for it now.

JayDiesel

TDI
Aedion said:
i didnt know they had a techron additive bottle for diesels! ill be keeping a look out for it now.
Hello Aedion:

Just came across this thread:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=207638&highlight=Techron+D

Very informative and wish I found it before posting this thread since it answers some addtional questions that came up in my mind. But I agree it is good to know that they have additive bottles for sale. :)

E-Z Wood

Veteran Member
Techron d, tthat is the first I have heard of this. I wonder if it has anything to do with the japaneese cartoon, initial d?

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I can see where this Techron would help to clean the injectors, but it won't clean the intake valves,will it?
Since the fuel is directly injected into the cyclinder....?

df

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
dieselfuel said:
but it won't clean the intake valves,will it?
Since the fuel is directly injected into the cyclinder....?
Correct. The rear of the valves are not washed by the fuel stream on DI engines - - whether gas or diesel. This creates a whole new series of issues as the desired swirl pattern induced by the rear side of the valve is lost as gunk builds up :eek:

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
dieseldorf,

SO, got any ideas on how best to clean the intake ports on the ALH?

Think bio-diesel could be used? Close the valve by rotating the engine and squirting bio-diesel into the port and letting it soak? Thenremoving with some sort of "tool"?

I'm sure my 2003 ALH (109,000 miles) needs this. In the spring, I'm thinking of have someone replace the intake for me, but I won't do it unless they are willing to clean out the intake ports. My EGR needs a good cleaning, too.

df