Car won't start? Check your Anti Shudder Valve

xyz999zyx

TDI
2003 GL TDI JETTA Automatic
I had problems starting my car today. The engine would turn but not start.

Last night I pressed and released the black plastic arm to the left of the round silver housing several times to see if it operates the shudder valve properly. I thought that the throttle plate was operating the way it should be. I went to fill up, came back, and parked it till this morning. In the morning the car would not start. I had someone turn the key and I start pressing and releasing the throttle until the car started.
After about 2 min I turned it off. I waited for a few minutes and try to start it again. And again the car had a hard time starting. However, this time it eventually started on its own. Should I assume that throttle is not completely closing?
What should I do next to troubleshoot the problem?

Last edited:

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
If it sticks closed, the car will not start. Just lift it. If it is sticking closed, you will need to have the area cleaned.

windigo

TDI
none but looking
When I got my car in feb 04 I was having this problem... fixed it with
WD40 on the joint that rotates and started using Power Service diesel additive....
My smoking on full throttle starts went down too... Got to love the stoplight races...
I use 4oz of PS with every tank...
I after about a month it stopped sticking and in the next 100K miles I have
not had to spray it... Oh I did change the EGR duty cycle too...
Still use power service every time I fill up...
Hope that works for you guys too...
windigo
99 TDI red Bug spoiler 5spd mods. 217kmi
03 TDI white Jetta auto 100k mi...

Last edited:

Amiga

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
ta da

Thanks guys

The Jetta didn't want to start yesterday
and
thanks to your advice
this old lady opened the hood,
found that valve in the pictures,
gave it a gentle tug
& it opened
& the Jetta started.

BOY OH BOY did I feel smart !

Thanks VERY MUCH

Barbara

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Great! Now you'll want to get it cleaned so it doesn't happen again. But since you know the "trick", it's not life or death. Might we wet sometimes, however. Storms coming in soon.

stratusair

TDI
05 Jetta TDI Wagon, 02 TDI Sedan, 06 Lib CRD, Kubota, Boeing 737
I know this may be a redundant question to some, but here goes. My wife starts the car pulls out of the parking space and it stalls out. It will crank but not start. It is an 05 Jetta wagon, 50k on it and no recent maintenance issues. If it is the "relay 109" can I swap it with the relay out of my 02 to test this or are they different?
Thanks much!

seabee7

TDI
2003 jetta tdi
I want to thank you Jason, you just saved me a long tow to the dealership. I thought it might have been the immobilizer, but it wasnt showing any codes. Thanks again to you, and to Kook. If it wasnt for you two, I would be screwed at the dealer.

ssomer

TDI
1999 Jetta Black
Just as an FYI. it's not really a throttle, at least, not as in a gas engine. It's there to assist the engine in stopping only, by cutting off the air intake completely. Normally it stays shut for some few seconds after the engine shuts down, but after the valve gets gunked up enough it sometimes sticks shut, and the car will not restart. Symptoms are a very fast crank (since there is no air in the cylinders there is no compression to work against).

TDI
2000 Jetta
im having trouble getting my car started.. after cranking it in 10 second inermissions it will eventually start.. also unplugging the coolant sensor causing the glow plugs to go through a full cycle seems to help it start a little quicker when cold starting. once the engine temp is up it starts like a champ.. any ideas?

scottsire

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
On top of all other things that went wrong this Thanksgiving (toilet overflowed through ceiling onto $2000 suede couch below it, other plumbing and health problems) the Jetta died after I shut it off to lock up the house on our way out to eat. Devastating.

After driving around looking for some time for a service manual on a Sunday, I looked to the only truly caring service personnel, other owners, you guys.

My Jetta fired right up. I yelled and honked the horn. I'm sure my neighbors think I'm not right in the head, but my Jetta and I went on a drive around on the block this morning so who cares about neighbors.

Now to clean the intake...

l_c

Veteran Member
TDI
Wrecked and gone: VW Jetta wagon 2002 silver TDI
My 2002 Jetta (TDI Wagon) last ran on Sunday (eve/night) and would no longer start up early Monday morning. Hasn't run for the past 2 days.
I tried diagnosing it last night. The first thing I found was that the little vacuum hose had worn, or torn, completely open --

I took that at night, it's not a great picture but there's actually a chunk missing from the hose.
My control plunger has been just "out", i.e. passage "open" ("Engine Can Start") ... but in my initial confusion, I had tried tying the linkage back the other way (using a couple of tiny bungee cords).
Anyway, now I've closed the vacuum leak using a little bit of fresh (cheapie) vacuum hose, and the flap should be "open".
Am I right in understanding that if that hose is torn open, then the ASV can't disable the engine? Or, would my car not work properly, because of a vacuum leak?
(By the way, I think what's killing this car may be no fuel delivery; I DO have 11V-12V at the fuel cutoff solenoid. Have scanned for fault codes, nothing interesting.) Thanks; Larry.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Right, with no vacuum the diaphragm can't be pulled in to close the valve.

If your glow plug light comes on then goes out then it is probably a fuel issue.

-J

l_c

Veteran Member
TDI
ASV disabled by open vacuum hose

compu_85, Thanks ... my no-start issue has by now made itself clear as a loss-of-fuel-prime problem. It seems to be air in the injection lines between the pump and injectors. (I removed the fuel cutoff plunger which appeared to be stuck; but, no joy in the end;)

By the way, I ordered an N239 (the control valve itself, which drives the ASV rod) ... maybe I shouldn't have (, likely mine wouldn't really need replacing); they cost about 51 USD (from 1stVWParts.com), p/n 1K0-906-283-A

Larry.

Any new users here? This applies to other (longer) threads as well;
Look for "Thread Tools", near the upper-right of the main topic body/text area.
Also, "Search This Thread".
If you click on "Thread Tools", then "Show Printable Version", and after that reloads, you'll see a
"Show 100 posts from this thread on one page"

For this thread, it would result in you going to the following url ... http://forums.tdiclub.com/printthread.php?t=128812&pp=100

Voila, you can browse/read, or Print, the entire Thread on a single page.
The really long topics sometimes reach 2 (or perhaps even 4) pages that way;
but at least you're not scanning and clicking like, 30-50 web pages to get through the thread!

If you then want to Reply, or do other things, the main thread link is still provided near the top of the Printable view.

Last edited:
TDI
2002 New Beatle TDI
Is there anyway to take off the part with the ASV in it and clean it without having to remove the entire upper intake? got this problem real bad -- there's more gunk than valve in there.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
captainskyhawk said:
Is there anyway to take off the part with the ASV in it and clean it without having to remove the entire upper intake? got this problem real bad -- there's more gunk than valve in there.
Yes, but if your EGR is that bad, then your entire intake manifold needs to be REMOVED and cleaned.

l_c

Veteran Member
TDI
ASV/EGR gunk

Captain, if u take off the EGR and really clean it w/ solvent (kerosene, bio, brake cleaner, other) then u really gotta stop first and figure out how 2 do it without hurting the (2) vacuum diaphragms in it.
I think I've made that mistake before!
Larry

gekko357

TDI
'02 Beetle
totally totally awesome post....my beetle would not start and i just went out and the valve was stuck in the closed position....started right up...thank you very much

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
gekko357 said:
totally totally awesome post....my beetle would not start and i just went out and the valve was stuck in the closed position....started right up...thank you very much
And you know that this is typically caused by a clogged intake manifold, right? And you know how to take care of this, right?

Cumbres

As usual this place is a trove of good info. When my car wouldn't start in 10 degree temps last week :( I was worried about the fuel. Then a small voice started saying "anti-shudder valve, anti-shudder valve" :rolleyes: . Being the obedient person that I am ;) I decided to check. Only problem I didn't remember where it was. But, I found it and it in fact was the problem. Car started just fine after that. Now to figure out when to do a clean out of the intake.

So, since I have been doing lots of Italian tune up driving the last couple of weeks, could that have worsened this problem to become active? It didn't start until about a week after my tune-up started.

Thanks, Cumbres!! :D

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
It's good when you listen to the voices in your head. They are usually more entertaining than real people. :D

TDIJOSIE

TDI
03' Jetta TDI
Thank you so much.

I am a new member to the tdi club. My wife drives an 03 Jetta tdi and has recently been experiencing the no start problem that you discribe in this forum. Usually if you leave the car for awhile it would restart. Today, my wife and son were at the grocery store and exited to find that the Jetta again, would not start. After trying for over an hour, we were resigned to having the car towed to our dealership and forking over the usual $1000 in repairs. It seems that the cash register at VW starts at $1000. After doing a google search I came across your forum with the photos. We immediatly went back to the car, lifted the hood and low and behold, the valve was stuck closed. One simple push and the car fired up instantly.

Thank you very much for your explanation and photos. You probably saved us more than a grand in investigation and repairs.

Chris

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Now you spend the time/money in cleaning things up. Should be less than $1,000. I hope you have a happy spring, and get this fixed before next autumn.

gern

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI,
TDI Club to the rescue!

Thanks to all here at Fred's!

My car wouldn't start a couple of weeks ago. The starter was making a funky noise and no start. After a brief minute or two of panic, I just sat back and started to think,then lo and behold this thread came to mind. I popped the hood and the valve was indeed sticking. I fired her up and off I went. I guess I'll have to read up on an intake cleaning. Thanks again people, keep up the faith!

:)

dirtyhands

TDI
98 Jetta, 02 Jetta Wagon
THANK YOU! Excellent post

This is EXACTLY what was wrong with my TDI. I'm at about 114K on this one and just short of a new timing belt. My first thought was that the belt had gone.

Indigolf03

TDI
Golf,03,Indigo
Thank You!!!

Your info saved me big time!
My '03 Golf has been so reliable but I thought I reached the end of my luck. I followed a number of very useful threads here and the ASV is the problem.

In the process I learned how to check the voltage to my glow plug harness and the glow plug resistance. I was sure the problem was fuel or timing related.

The funny thing was in the last few weeks the car would start as normal everyday. Then if I didn't run it long enough, (i.e. pulled out of the driveway or 5 minute hop to the store) it would not start again until it sat for a while. Yesterday the same thing happened but it sat parked for at least 6 hours and still would not start and then again this morning. I was convinced I was sunk!

I guess the ASV was slowly getting stuck and sitting for extended periods of time it slowly slipped back to the correct position. I tested the problem several times now and can repeat the problem and solution every time.

I am very grateful for your help. Especially the pictures!!!
Thank You Whitedog and Compu 85!!!

John

Last edited:

Indigolf03

TDI
Golf,03,Indigo
One thing I don't understand is where all that gunk comes from?
Since I was not able to perform the procedure for removing the entire intake I had to clean it in place. I did manage to remove the ASV assembly but getting the whole intake off was beyond my current capabilities, tools and equipment.

ShopVac to the rescue! It's very old and for $40.00 I could stand to buy a new one. I tried to be as careful as possible removing the gunk form the intake manifold.

While I certainly realize letting that mess fall down inside the engine is bad I cannot imagine that it wasn't already happening. The inside of my ASV and intake looked comparable to the WORST pics I have seen here at TDI Club! It was a horrible mess. I managed to get the ASV ass'y looking like it was refurbished and very clean. I did the best I could with the intake side downstream and the ShopVac worked wonders.

Happy to say my Golf starts like it was when new on the first click of the key effortlessly!
Thanks again to all those who posted their help.

john

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Indigolf03 said:
Happy to say my Golf starts like it was when new on the first click of the key effortlessly!
Thanks again to all those who posted their help.

john
You need to get that manifold off and do a proper cleaning. See user KROUT here, he may be in your neck of the woods.

Indigolf03

TDI
Golf,03,Indigo
Yes. Thanks for the tip on a possible local person who can help too.

My concern now is that with all that I saw caked up inside the ASV and the input side to the intake manifold, how much damage is already done? With the enormous amount of gunk build up already that far downstream it had to be getting into the engine regularly.

What really bugs me is that I never read anything about doing this type of cleaning as a regular service. Not being an auto mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, I had my VW serviced every 5K at dealerships and now my entire engine may be at risk. I was also quoted $1200.00 for timing belt and water pump and hundreds more for other, supposedly necessary, service.

I am looking at a total of $2500 as we speak and only 82K on the odometer. I am kinda at the point where I don't know if the car is worth the investment. The price of diesel here in FL is more than premium unleaded and that too negates the fuel economy I get. I do love the car but it may make more sense to trade it in or sell it for a newer economy car.

Thanks again.