www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI (Diesel) Emissions

TDI (Diesel) Emissions This is a discussion about emissions from TDI's. Pro's cons of Diesels (including biodiesel) effects on the environment and how they compare to Gasoline and other fuel sources for Internal combustion engines.

Old April 25th, 2018, 04:49   #46
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

My daily drivers have always been pretty fuel efficient and cheap to operate, so I really don't know anything different.

1973 Beetle

1979 Rabbit diesel

1991 Jetta diesel

1998 Jetta TDI

2000 Golf TDI

Sure, I have had some ravenous pump suckers as extra vehicles over the years, the worst being a 1978 F250 with a 7.5L (that is a 460 cubic inch engine to you rednecks) V8, a 3-speed automatic with no lockup, and a 4.10 rear axle. 6 MPG. And one of its two fuel tanks, the larger one of course, had a leak so I couldn't use it. I had it for less than a year. Ran good, pulled anything with ease, sounded neat, but damn its favorite parking spot was next to a fuel pump.
Old April 25th, 2018, 06:21   #47
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Pretty much the same here. I have almost always had two vehicles at a time. One for everyday use and another for other purposes. My 1935 Ford flathead V8 only gets about 8 mpg but it only goes out on recreational short trips and such. I have to fill it every time I go out as it is only good for about 80 miles a tank. It only holds about 14 gallons and you don't want to fill it all the way up. So maybe 8 or 10 gallons every time.
Old May 2nd, 2018, 09:50   #48
vandermic07
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Golf
Fuel Economy: 51 MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
BTW, a Fox body Mustang, in the late '80s, with the standard 2.3L and 5sp manual gearbox, could tag 30 on the highway. I know, I had one. And it was pretty peppy, too. So again, the "new" Mustang, with what is probably an engine with thrice the HP, does not go thrice the distance on the same amount of fuel.
I have a 15 mustang fastback with a tuned 2.3l eco boost 6 speed. 310hp/320 ftlbs. i get 31 mpg on the highway cruising at 70 mph (2000mi round trip from PA to Florida and back). Around town i get around 27 mpg. I can even get into it a bit and still retain good mileage. But it likes fuel if you are heavy on the throttle. the first day i had it, i went 40 miles and used 1/4 tank (it was my 1st sport car ever, so i had to have some fun).
vandermic07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2018, 09:54   #49
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Yep, see what I mean? All that "new" tech went to make a heavier car go faster. Fuel economy has remained pretty much the same.

It would be nice to see that new engine in something smaller and lighter, like an MX-5.
Old May 2nd, 2018, 11:14   #50
meerschm
Veteran Member

couple notes here.

I live in a place that puts a tax on stuff parked in your driveway.

so that limits excess collection of cars. (I know, a personal problem)

my first car was a 1970 Plymouth Duster. as I recall, the slant six got around 20 mpg. (you could put a six pack of cans in the air vent for cool beverages, as long as the weather cooperated) seemed like a good use of savings from paper routes and the like. of course, the savings seemed to stop as soon as that car began to roam the streets.

the 2017 GSW gets well over 30 on the highway, with air conditioning and AWD.

so not all is lost.

Free advice: it is worth what you pay for it. (sometimes)
meerschm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2018, 02:54   #51
Ted Hurst
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2015 GSW
Fuel Economy: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
My 1935 Ford flathead V8 only gets about 8 mpg but it only goes out on recreational short trips and such. I have to fill it every time I go out as it is only good for about 80 miles a tank. It only holds about 14 gallons and you don't want to fill it all the way up. So maybe 8 or 10 gallons every time.
Sounds like "Range Anxiety"
'06 Black Jetta DSG Special Edition, 138k Mi, Frost Heater, RC1+,HEX-CAN USB - Traded
Ted Hurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2018, 08:49   #52
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

I don't know how they traveled back in the day only being able to go such a short distance per tank. Going from the dust bowl to California must have been a harrowing trip! Slow speeds and frequent fill-ups and bad roads. Makes me think of the movie "The Grapes of Wrath".
Old May 9th, 2018, 10:09   #53
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

It's all in perspective. I grew up in Nebraska learning a lot about the western expansion. Places in the Sand Hills (western NE) that still have wagon ruts. On a good day, in good weather, on fairly flat ground, they might have covered 20 miles a day. My grandparents started their life together with a set of plow horses. I don't know how much land he tilled back in 1918, but I can bet the farm wasn't over 50 acres, including buildings. My cousins probably farm about 400 acres between the two of them today.

Early cars were not much better than the horse and buggy. Except the cars would get stuck in the mud on Hwy 30.