TDIclub Secret Society of BMW Owners (SSBMWO)

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
...I am very impressed (previously unaware). Thank you Señor N.........

ez

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
I didn't know FLIR was available on cars. That is really excellent. Me want.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I didn't know FLIR was available on cars. That is really excellent. Me want.
n1das said:
Me want mine to work again! :(

The new lens on the FLIR camera in my 535d did not fix the moisture problem it has. My BMW dealer (Tulley BMW in Nashua NH) looked at it again (on their dime) and told me the camera needs to be replaced. The quoted cost including about an hour of labor is $3800. :eek: At that price I'm going to take the camera out and look at ways to dry it out. The camera does function however the image is very poor or nonexistent due to the detector being fogged from moisture. It may dry out on its own but may take a while. A DIY repair is worth a shot.
UPDATE: I've been checking the FLIR camera performance of the past 2 weeks to see if it would dry out on its own. The camera supposedly is a watertight unit and I was concerned that moisture would stay trapped in there forever and would never dry out. As I was thinking about working on it over the 4th of July holiday weekend, I found it HAS dried out and now works good as new again! :cool: The camera may be vented sort of like how a headlight assembly is vented. It may be splashproof and not totally waterproof. Anyhow it's working as good as new again! :cool:

Last edited:

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
It's good to know this group is here. We've been looking for a wagon and although we like the Golf Sport Wagon you can't get it with the combination of normal (not sport) seats, Climatronic, and Nav. So we went looking at other options and found the 328d wagon. Yes it costs more and doesn't have a stick, but it handles sooo much better than the GSW. haven't made the final decision yet but I'm glad I found this group!

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Wrong thread!

Last edited:

temporaptor

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta TDI 11 335D M-Sport
I've doubled-down on my Mercedes fleet - just picked up a SWEET 2007 R320 CDI...and already got Jeff to chip it :)

Pics soon - there is something about this thing I find perversely attractive. It's not a wagon, not an SUV, not a mini-van. What it is though - spacious, comfortable, easy to drive, 4motion equipped beast of a diesel.

Things done:
Chipped (still not fast, but certainly quick)
Oil Change
Air Filters

Things to do:
Fuel Filter (broke WIF sensor)
Intake Pipe (found crack in bottom)
Winter Tires
HID/High Power LED Kit (projectors have Euro pattern with sharp cutoff and the car has auto-leveling suspension, so a drop-in kit might actually work out)
Wrong forum, this is for BMW's
Also the R320 is essentially a minivan ?

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I've doubled-down on my Mercedes fleet - just picked up a SWEET 2007 R320 CDI...and already got Jeff to chip it :)

Pics soon - there is something about this thing I find perversely attractive. It's not a wagon, not an SUV, not a mini-van. What it is though - spacious, comfortable, easy to drive, 4motion equipped beast of a diesel.

Things done:
Chipped (still not fast, but certainly quick)
Oil Change
Air Filters

Things to do:
Fuel Filter (broke WIF sensor)
Intake Pipe (found crack in bottom)
Winter Tires
HID/High Power LED Kit (projectors have Euro pattern with sharp cutoff and the car has auto-leveling suspension, so a drop-in kit might actually work out)
Are the projectors halogen?

Be weary of burning the bowls of the projectors if you put hid bulbs in there.

Jagal

TDI
'11 335D '13 Passat TDI SEL
Traded my jetta in on a 335d, soon to be buzzken/tuned :)

akohekohe

TDI
BMW 2016 328d xDrive Sports Wagon (on order)
Well, I'm the former owner of a Golf 2002 TDI and am currently driving a Nissan Leaf which is a perfectly nice car for O'ahu where I'm now living. However, I'm moving to New Hampshire soon and wanted a Diesel Hatchback with AWD that is not a SUV. Seems the BMW 328d xdrive Sport Wagon is the only car currently out there that fits this description. I'm negotiating with some dealers on the mainland now. I was looking at an Audi A7 but with all the problems with VW-Audi I figured the BMW is a better choice. The A7, while technically a hatchback is not really, what I had in mind (the test drive was fun though). I'm going to custom order it pretty much fully loaded. I just couldn't resist the Sports Package with the adaptive suspension. I'll post a picture when I get it.

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
formerly:Passat, 96, white and 10 Jetta, white gold
I am not an owner yet, but I test drove an X3 diesel, because I want a smallish SUV to replace my aging Passat and it fit the bill. I love it, I want it, but not sure I can justify the price. Although....I would be curious to know once the warranty is up how much trouble these are prone to? I am hoping to take a break from wrenching and just have fun driving.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
I am not an owner yet, but I test drove an X3 diesel, because I want a smallish SUV to replace my aging Passat and it fit the bill. I love it, I want it, but not sure I can justify the price. Although....I would be curious to know once the warranty is up how much trouble these are prone to? I am hoping to take a break from wrenching and just have fun driving.
Pricing one out with desirable options gives one a MSRP of almost $54K, What you get compared to a similar Mazda/Toyota/Honda and even Lexus/Infiniti/Acura/Audi/VW, IMO, is:

1. A superior electronic control module with navigation
2. Better paint and superior metallurgy - BMW has one of the best body works
3. BMW has excellent experience and produces some of the finest diesel engines, for years.
4. Every BMW seems to have superior/performance braking - an upgrade from anything Japanese IMO.
5. The ZF 8 speed automatic is highly desirable and receives praise from many. I haven't heard of any issues with this transmission.
6. Styling is a matter of opinion, but BMW seems to be fairly consistent and has multiple Japanese manufacturers that copy it along with the other styling leader, Mercedes.
7. Now, BMW is the only manufacturer offering a diesel in this segment. Diesel is an ideal power train for such a vehicle many believe, especially with the improved fuel efficiency over gassers. BMW has produced an emission-compliant diesel.
8. I personally like a medium tan leather interior option which many manufacturers don't offer - too light an interior soils too easily IMO.
9. The European delivery experience is highly rated as is the option to collect a new BMW at their performance center in North Carolina.
10. A robust BMW CCA - probably the most popular car club with a great magazine.
11. For long-term owners, parts are at least considerably available for the duration.
12. Very comfortable standard and sport seating.
13. The availability of rear seat heating and steering wheel heaters (don't knock it until you've tried it!).
14. The optional excellent Harmon-Kardon stereo is a bargain.
15. AC/heat/ventilation system right out of the German build academy.

The above features/enhancements are surely worth the extra $10-15K for this vehicle. Dealer discounts historically would bring it more into the high $40's. There are some negatives for BMW, including cost of service/parts, a reputation for pushing the technological envelope creating some reliability issues, run-flat tires/lack of even a donut spare, a somewhat sparse dealer network when you look outside of medium sized major cities, increasingly complex systems for engine control, and a progressive lack of manual transmission options with only fair electric steering feel.

Best.

TM

cevans

TDI
I loved that car too when I test drove it. IMO exactly the right size and combination of engine. Supremely comfortable, good interior layout. I'm not overly thrilled about the car, but, as they say, just close your eyes when you walk up to it and it will be okay!

I'd wait a year and see what type of deals you can get one off lease.

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
A dealer in our area has one (2016) that they say is a demo. Its never been registered but it has about 7000 miles on it. They are asking 43K right now. This demo business has me a little worried though. Is that a normal thing for BMW dealers? I had been thinking of waiting for a one off lease, but the Passat is really on its last leg, so I am actively looking now. Even considering (gasp!) gas powered.....

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
A dealer in our area has one (2016) that they say is a demo. Its never been registered but it has about 7000 miles on it. They are asking 43K right now. This demo business has me a little worried though. Is that a normal thing for BMW dealers? I had been thinking of waiting for a one off lease, but the Passat is really on its last leg, so I am actively looking now. Even considering (gasp!) gas powered.....
To win the sales title over Lexus and Mercedes, BMW had a dealer demo sale where the dealers bought from their own inventory for use as loaners and demos. They beat out Lexus and Mercedes for "sales" but not for registrations in 2015. Its called "punching" up car sales

TM

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
If I can find a MB GLK250 Bluetec to test drive locally, I am going to look at one of those too. (I should enquire on the other secret society thread...)

cevans

TDI
If I can find a MB GLK250 Bluetec to test drive locally, I am going to look at one of those too. (I should enquire on the other secret society thread...)
Shhh! The first rule about the secret societies is...

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Shhh! The first rule about the secret societies is...
BUMP!

Gotta keep the SSBMWO thread up there with the SSBO thread! :)
Maybe both threads should be stickied. :)

:cool:

Last edited:

akohekohe

TDI
BMW 2016 328d xDrive Sports Wagon (on order)
Well, I have now placed my order for the 328d xDrive Sports Wagon. I will take delivery on July 1 at the Performance Center in South Carolina assuming there are no production or shipping glitches. If anyone is interested in exactly what I ordered you can go to the Build your own section of the BMW website and enter cxkzeqzy in the Build ID box. I'm really glad I'm able to get the diesel I want - I was becoming concerned after the VW/Audi scandal that diesels would disappear from the North American market. But I got what I wanted: diesel + AWD + hatchback wagon. BTW, the MSRP for my build was $60,470 but I managed to get it for $500 over dealer invoice and a $299 document fee. There is no sales tax in New Hampshire so the total registration, title and plate fee and temporary tag comes to only $99.20 for a grand total of out the door cost of $57,133.20. Still, not inexpensive, but I'm only going to live so long and want to enjoy my retirement until they drag me away to the assisted living center.

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Since the unknown of the future of the wife's '11 JSW been looking at options for replacing. She likes the Q7 but I'm not liking the low MPG #'s. I'm liking the BMW diesel wagons,also like the 5 series as well. But she feels like she needs the cargo space of the wagon. How are some of u longer term owners of the BMW wagons liking them? I was just trying to stay away from owning something that needs the DEF,hence why we bought '11 JSW. Thanks for any info.

speed185187

Veteran Member
TDI
Case 580 Super M,
It's not a diesel but still burns premium. First brand new motorcycle I've ever had. I love going for rides when Michigan weather permits.

2014 BMW K1600GTLE. Top case removed in the pic.