MN Chat Thread

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
i can't say for sure what day i can make, but if we set it up, i should be able to plan my schedule around it. maybe i can even get my gf to come along in the golf...

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
I'm up for it, are we going to sit around and BS? As I said before Munsinger Guardians are 3 blocks away. Any Timing Belts for DB? I have a jack and some basic tools, and a monster garage. Thoughts?

2000TDIJetta

Veteran Member
Hey everyone, I am new here. But I have been reading for a while. Didn't know where to introduce so I thought this might be an ok place. I have a '00 Jetta TDI. And I am from Buffalo, but go to school in Mankato.

ACRucrazy

TDI
Want a 2dr Golf mtx
Hello all, from Cottage Grove, and am currently looking for a 2dr 03 Golf 5speed.

Cant wait to toy around with a TDI, should be fun!

newguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M White
I love the snow! Anyone use snow tires? I do and I tell ya, I don't like them in dry weather, but in stuff like this it makes it all worthwhile.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
newguy said:
I love the snow! Anyone use snow tires? I do and I tell ya, I don't like them in dry weather, but in stuff like this it makes it all worthwhile.
Frankly, I'm not much of a fan of driving in the snow; in fact, things are set up basically so I don't have to if I don't want to. I have a five-block walk each way to work, much of which can be done through the skyway :D and that makes living where I do so nice.

Basically, I don't use snow tires for that reason, not to mention that I do not have the space to store a second set of tires.

somepunk22

Veteran Member
newguy said:
I'm getting the modding bug again... :)
I don't think mine went away!

Snow tires will be a must for next year. Between winter, and hopefully some rally events, they should get plenty of use. :p

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
the snow sucks. i had just washed my car and then left it out overnight.. hehe. personally, i'm sick of dealing with winter every year. it's good to know we still get some snow. pretty mild winters these years.. i remember when we first moved to MN in 84/85, those first few winters we got dumped on an cold!
tdiheater and DG sigma5 short shift kit went in a few days ago :) nice! :)

ACRucrazy

TDI
Want a 2dr Golf mtx
Snow def sux, i got stuck getting out of my driveway this am... in my RAM!!!

(2wd with worn tires and open diff)

Snow day, half hr later truck back in driveway, and me sitting on the couch!)

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
you need one of my "winter survival kits" ;) which mostly consists of a couple 1.5x2.5-ish ft carpet floor mats, err might be 2x3 (i got 4 of them for ~$6 at a carpet store). great for when you're stuck but not really stuck, for some traction. i've used my floormats in my car before on a several occaisions, as well as large brown paper chicken feed bags. but then got these and i keep them in the trunk. also good to protect your trunk carpet until they get dirty...

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
I am proposing an alternate starting point for the drive to the Fest and posted it to the caravan mileage competition thread. The starting point can be changed to that Marathon in Apple Valley that sells biodiesel (42 & Galaxie). Thoughts?

newguy

Veteran Member
TDI
The Passat still has the stock michelins for the summer tires, and I have steel wheels and Blizzak WS-50's for the wintertime. That car is unstoppable in snow.

I have to say the ESP on the Passat is FAR superior to the ESP on my jetta. (both being 2005 models) The Jetta is a lot "slower" to react, whereas the Passat is almost seamless. Most of the time I turn the ESP off in the Jetta as I find it annoying with my driving style.

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
The Nokian Hakkas on my Jetta Wagon made getting around a piece of cake -- though I will admit to having 'blown the driveway first on Monday because I didn't think the car would make it through 6-8" of heavy snow. By Thursday I knew better. :)

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Hey folks, because I got another diesel (F350 also good in snow) I'm thinking of sellng my wagon roof rack with the basket, any one in the MN/WI area interested? You can look at the www.vwdrivergear.com catalog. I'm thinking $200.

Last edited:

newguy

Veteran Member
TDI
ARRRRRRGH!!! Spamster, I just put in an order for a Thule roof rack...

Let me see if I can cancel it.

How do you like your 'stroke?

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
I like it, but the Jetta is SOooo much smoother, It's nice not to have to worry about 5 inch things in the road. The other thing is $40 to do 600 plus miles or $100 for 400. Choice is good.

Papysj

TDI
Jetta
Hey All! New to the boards, and to my 01' Jetta TDI. I found this board while searching for normal oil consumption of a diesel engine. This is my first diesel and I am a little concerned, but I am thinking I will find some good info on here.

I am out in Shakopee, my husband and I are big Jeep fans (sold my TJ for the Jetta), but after having the Jetta for a month, I am thinking we might have another purchase in the future :)

Anyway, just thought I would say Hello!

Sarah :)

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Any interest, beside Viking Rob and myself for a April GTG in St. Cloud?

Sam

2000TDIJetta

Veteran Member
Papysj said:
Hey All! New to the boards, and to my 01' Jetta TDI. I found this board while searching for normal oil consumption of a diesel engine. This is my first diesel and I am a little concerned, but I am thinking I will find some good info on here.

I am out in Shakopee, my husband and I are big Jeep fans (sold my TJ for the Jetta), but after having the Jetta for a month, I am thinking we might have another purchase in the future :)

Anyway, just thought I would say Hello!

Sarah :)
Big Jeep fan. Thats awsome, I am also a big jeep fan, honestly I only got my TDI for its milage. Its a nice car and all, but I love Jeeps. I currently have a XJ, ZJ, and a YJ. Ever go to the mnjeep boards? (bunch of good guys and gals)

As for snow tires. I put a set of Winterforce tires on this year, and they are great. and cheap. I paid $54 a tire. they are made by Bridgestone too. as with any snow tire they don't handle as well, sidewall flex. But I can't explain how impressed I am with them in the snow. I live out in the country and my driveway is .5 mile, in the last snow falls 8" was nothing for them. I acually like to drive my TDI in the snow more then my Jeep.

Papysj

TDI
Jetta
2000TDIJetta said:
Big Jeep fan. Thats awsome, I am also a big jeep fan, honestly I only got my TDI for its milage. Its a nice car and all, but I love Jeeps. I currently have a XJ, ZJ, and a YJ. Ever go to the mnjeep boards? (bunch of good guys and gals)

As for snow tires. I put a set of Winterforce tires on this year, and they are great. and cheap. I paid $54 a tire. they are made by Bridgestone too. as with any snow tire they don't handle as well, sidewall flex. But I can't explain how impressed I am with them in the snow. I live out in the country and my driveway is .5 mile, in the last snow falls 8" was nothing for them. I acually like to drive my TDI in the snow more then my Jeep.
That is why I got my TDI, too. I was getting 14 miles with my TJ! Now we are left with two XJ's. They are my husbands, and he does all the work to them. He is supercharging his red one. He built a stroker for it, and now he needs more power. :D He goes to MNJeep all the time for information.

For our wedding, we got to drive off in a 47 (I think that was the year) Willies! It was a dream!!

Last edited:

2000TDIJetta

Veteran Member
Papysj said:
He built a stroker for it, and now he needs more power. :D He goes to MNJeep all the time for information.
Hey, I think he was the guy I was talking to on the board about building a stroker. I am also planning a stroker soon.

Papysj

TDI
Jetta
His name is Junkjeep on there, I think. He has a lot of information on doing that, and plans on doing another one. You should let him know if you need something. :)