Bew

sword181

TDI
2004 New Beetle
I have been reading this forum for a few days and would like to ask.
What is wrong with the BEW most every mention I can find is negative about this engine. I have a really good running BEW that I would like to swap into my 67 Bug.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
The BEW had a design flaw in the specifications on the cam metal causing it to wear prematurely. This and it following the ALH which is the last of the bullet proof pre-emission babbled engines and you have a lot of people speaking less than pleasantly about them...

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
So cam wear is a known issue, but not a death nail either. It's not a hard repair and normally not a kill the motor issue if it fails. I have seen more issues with the cam followers cracking and breaking. Most engines have their quirks or issues and this one is no exception. Personally I prefer the BHW as it starts with more torque out of the box and has beefed up internals.

Go for it.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
X2 on the BHW over the other 4cyl tdi. They are also known for cam wear and the balance shaft needs deleted but it's easy to get small block v8 torque out of it.

However if you already have the motor toss her in!

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with the BEW, in fact, I like it better than the ALH especially if you are looking for performance without spending a whole lot. Simple software update gets you in the 140hp range on the BEW where the ALH you might gain 15hp - this is due to injector design. People running big power on TDIs tend to use "pump duse" motors like the BEW or BHW motor.

Some people say BEWs have bad cams, I haven't seen any on the BEW, the BRM in the 2005/06 cars, on the other hand, eat cams for breakfast.

The BEW is a nice choice for a swap - cleaner looking motor due to no pump hanging off of it. Decent power, lots of aftermarket support. Go for it!