Website to see what happen to buyback?

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Someone one time posted a website to show what happened to buybacks. Anyone know which one it is? I looked through my history, but couldn't find anything. I guess I didn't comment in the thread.

TDILeo

Veteran Member
TDI
CW 2011 Golf TDI 6M Repurchased By VW 1/30/17 1985 VW GTI
I did enter my old VIN number and it revealed the fix occured in September 2018 so it would seem the car was not crushed. When I turned it in at the end of January 2017, it had a little over 7k on the odo. I am kind of curious as to how much it was sold for and the location.

nucklehead

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI W/DSG
I entered the vin on my 2013 Golf TDI, every box was checked off except the emissions warranty, which said 'pending'. I just bought it three days ago(27th). Great little car, with 25k on it, and it's nearly perfect inside and out. Its a medium gray metallic and looks great, what I wanted when I bought my new 2013 Jetta TDI in 2013. The price on the Golf was about $4,000 more than I had to spend, and I wanted new, and the idea of buying a low end model didn't exactly appeal to me. The Jetta was the TDI Premium

I loved the Jetta, and I was happy with it. I was sad to have to sell it, but isn't it funny, 2 years ago this month I sold my Jetta. I never thought I'd have another VW, much less a TDI. After selling my 71 Karmann Ghia last spring I really thought that was the last of VW in my life.

Never say never!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Our '12 Passat was bought back, June '17

according to VW diesel info, no modifications have been applied. Some how I think vw diesel info site is more for $$$ payout that tracking cars.

there was a generic VIN look up page that shows the title moving around on buybacks, I forgot the exact one though.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
That is what it looks like at the junkyard across the street from my work. Lots of early cars going to the crusher, and late ones that look beat.

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
In July, I turned in a pristine 2012 Jetta TDI w/premium. VIN shows up as having open recalls for the emissions. I'm not sure how long it takes for the buybacks to show back up on the market, but I'm assuming at this point it has probably been crushed.

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
I put my vin in and it says:

This VIN is not part of the VW diesel settlement. Please contact VW at 1-800-822-8987 for further information.

So maybe it was crushed?
Make sure you use uppercase letters. For example:

3vwll7aj5cm318036 results in "not part of VW diesel settlement"

3VWLL7AJ5CM318036 gives a valid result.

Last edited:

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
In July, I turned in a pristine 2012 Jetta TDI w/premium. VIN shows up as having open recalls for the emissions. I'm not sure how long it takes for the buybacks to show back up on the market, but I'm assuming at this point it has probably been crushed.
I suspect that Volkswagen is still managing inventory. So this seems likely but it's by no means certain.

katahdinTDI

TDI
2015 Sportwagen TDI
Yeah, with 109k it is probably crushed. The value is not so far over the cost of the repairs and warranty.

VW repaired and resold my 2013 Jetta with 119,000 miles. Turned up for sale over a year later at a VW dealership halfway across the country.

katahdinTDI

TDI
2015 Sportwagen TDI

BMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Touareg TDI
Updated VIN lookup site. Talked to a VW rep and they said the old VWDieselInfo.com site is obsolete. Use this one instead:

https://www.vwdiesellookup.com/
I've been using that site for about a month now when looking to buy my TDI. I bought one two weeks ago and also had phase 2 done. I wonder how long it takes VW to update my info on that site. It still shows phase 1 was done Dec, 17 2018.

Does anyone know if the warranty re-starts with phase 2 being done?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I don't think any of the bought back cars with over 150-160k miles are getting recirculated. At least not from what I'm seeing on cargurus.

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
My 2010 Jetta 6M had only 58,000 on the clock and was in excellent shape when I sold it back to VW, but it still shows as "repair not performed" on the above web site. I returned the vehicle on 07/19/2018, so I am sure it would have been fixed by now had VW decided to do so. That pretty much aligns with the hypothesis that those older models were scrapped. As a side note - when entering the VIN, you really have to use uppercase letters, otherwise the search will return no results.

Yukon4Runner

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf (buyback) 2015 Golf Sportwagen (buyback buy)
VW puts the late model buy backs up for auction with VW dealers getting first crack.

Once the car gets to the VW dealer, they look it over and decide if they want to sell it. Some cars make the cut and some don’t; that’s up the dealer. The ones that the VW dealer deem unprofitable are returned to auction where all used car dealers have a crack at it. A VW salesman told me his dealership returns about a third to auction but they are aggressively buying certain TDIs (sticks, wagons, low mileage). In either case, the fix is applied by the dealer before they release the car.

Early model buyback TDIs with high mileage never go through this process; they are simply crushed and melted down for recycling.

Eventually this process will separate the “wheat from the chaff”.

I suspect that your VW falls into the “wait and see” category. VW is using the sales data from early model auctions to gauge market demand and will decide if it’s profitable to release these low mileage/early model TDIs. They are also keeping an eye on their lucrative spare parts market; they don’t want to flood the market with used TDIs that end up directly in scrapyards.

Just like the standard used car market, the buybacks that are fixed and bought by dealers but don’t sell will eventually filter into the scrapyards for parts.

My 2010 Jetta 6M had only 58,000 on the clock and was in excellent shape when I sold it back to VW, but it still shows as "repair not performed" on the above web site. I returned the vehicle on 07/19/2018, so I am sure it would have been fixed by now had VW decided to do so. That pretty much aligns with the hypothesis that those older models were scrapped. As a side note - when entering the VIN, you really have to use uppercase letters, otherwise the search will return no results.

Last edited:

builtospill

TDI
2012 Golf TDI

Just checked my VIN again and my 2012 Golf with 96k miles went to the crusher, very sad. It was in really nice condition too!

Last edited:

DIVISIONINCISION

TDI
2011 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI SE
A VW salesman told me his dealership returns about a third to auction but they are aggressively buying certain TDIs (sticks, wagons, low mileage).

You are 100% correct.

Low mileage TDI Sporwagens are ultra-rare, especially with NAV and Sunroof.

The one I found bought was literally one in a million and I literally wrote the previous owner to thank him for keeping it garaged and safe.

The low mileage JSW TDI's I've seen are going for higher prices than the newer models due to their novelty.

:D

DSL HED

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta wagon DSG
I turned my 2012 wagon in on 3/22/2018 and it's still showing as unfixed and appears to be in Michigan.

It only had about 75000 miles on it, but it had some minor accident damage on the driver's side bumper area that I never bothered fixing (teenage girl rubbed her crappy old Taurus against it while parking).

I guess VW doesn't know what to do with it or something. Oh well, I'm enjoying my C-Max for now but I can see myself in a GTI someday.

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)
Dang, looks like both of my 2011s are still sitting, waiting for something.

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)
oops, well, scratch that.
Looks like my 2011 Wagon went to Michigan. Then sold to Pick and Pull in KC, MO.

How sad. that was a sweet looking Wagen with the GTI front end.

Comments are:
Damage Type: Junk And Salvage
Disposition: CRUSH

As for my 2011 Jetta M6, looks like it followed the Wagen. Went to Michigan, then sold to Pick and Pull in KC, MO also.
Comments:
Damage Type: Junk And Salvage
Disposition: CRUSH