Timing/Cam Belt Replacement

ZootsAlures

Veteran Member
TDI
2012Passat SE TDI
Has anybody replaced their own belt, water pump, and belt guides on their own? I bought the replacement parts with the $500 VW Card many months ago and am approaching 120k miles. I've viewed a couple of YouTube Videos but none were on my exact engine for my B7-TDI.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Has anybody replaced their own belt, water pump, and belt guides on their own? I bought the replacement parts with the $500 VW Card many months ago and am approaching 120k miles. I've viewed a couple of YouTube Videos but none were on my exact engine for my B7-TDI.
Your sig says you have a 2012 Passat TDI. This is not a B7 if you bought it in this country, the B7 is the European Passat, and is different in many ways, I don't know how many. Our cars are the NMS, and you should have the CKRA engine.
That being said, with this repair I'd be quite cautious. I would personallyi not attempt it without all the special tools, and in this case having acted as tool passer for someone who knew how to do it. Preferably "Oilhammer.";)

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
I am a mechanic, but not an auto mechanic. Replaced my own couple years ago. 2010 Jetta. I thought it was not hard and had no trouble, But I have grown up working on cars. Have torque wrenches, and many odds and ends tools that are not in a non-mechanics garage. Greengeeker has a how-to post that is very good. If you could find someone local that has done their own to give you a hand if you are unsure of your mechanic skills or tool needs. Go thru the parts you bought from the dealer against the list of parts in the KITS supplied by one of the vendors here. you might be missing a few that the dealer parts counter doesn't think of

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The CKRA has a 130k mile interval, not 120k like the CBEA/CJAA, and it also shares very few parts with those other engines. It has a different belt.

But the basic procedure is the same, and it is actually a little easier because the CKRA does not have that albatross of auxiliary fuel pump and hoses in the way.

I would suggest for the novice to either watch someone else do it or do a lot of video watching and reading and allot yourself plenty of time and get all the tools and parts required well ahead of time.

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
There is a 3-part video series at http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/a6-vw-jetta-beetle-golf-tdi-faq-and-diy-index/ for the mkvi. The CKRA is almost identical. However, you need to be a member in order to access the last video in the series. I think you can send like $10 via PayPal to join.

One tip, have your car shifted into Neutral before disconnecting the battery and fuel lines. I forget exactly why it makes the job easier, but I had to do it and spilled a bit of fuel from the disconnected lines when I turned the key to release the shifter. I ended up using the emergency neutral release underneath the shifter shroud to pop it into N.

Other than that, make sure you have the right tools for the job. The dieselgeek parts kit includes a new stud with the tensioner so you don't have to mess with the motor mounts at all. Well worth it. Here's what I bought from dieselgeek to do the job.

TBK-CKRA
Deluxe Common Rail Timing Belt Kit for 2012-2014 Passat

MN-CR
Common Rail Tool Kit

TBK-M10TSS-Short
Triple Square Socket for Common Rail Timing Belt Job

TBK-PENTOFROST-E
Pentofrost E G12++ Lifetime Coolant 1.5 Liter (x2)

It was a little over $500 all together. Job was not terribly difficult, even in a large garage poorly heated by a kerosene heater in the midst of a Syracuse winter. But, it wasn't my first rodeo either.

Here's a snippit from an email dieselgeek sent:
-----
Hi, this video Jim took might help too –

It’s a video for the CBEA/CJAA engine, but points are similar. Jim revised our hardware kit for the common rail timing kit. Replacing the parts can be done without removing the aluminum engine mount bracket from the engine. If you grab onto the threads of the tensioner stud with a pair of vise grip pliers you can unthread it and take the tensioner off and all of the other components without disturbing the engine mount bracket. We provided a new stud with the kit. Just put the new tensioner on the stud and hand thread it back into the engine when you put everything back. It will tighten perfectly when you tighten the tensioner nut. This is how all pro-installers do this procedure. It will save you a lot of time and has lower risk than removing the engine mount bracket.

Please review this video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-fd0dIo7Ss

We think myturbodiesel.com is also worth the investment.
-----

Good luck!

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
One more thing worth mentioning...

I have access to ElsaWin. If you don't know what that is, research it. It is very helpful and vehicle specific.