2014 Passat SE upgraded to 2015 Passat SEL

ZippyTDI

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL, 2010 JettaTDI
Hello,

For those interested in a layman's opinion on the real-world differences between this year's and next year's model:

1) DSG shifting has become smoother in the 2015
2) I find the steering wheel response better on the 2015 (more "connected".)
3) The 2015 engine has a higher rated HP than the 2014, but I'd be hard pressed to say it makes a noticeable difference. Although I am still in the break-in period on the new one, so it may not be up to full HP yet. EA288 sure runs smooth as silk, and seems a little quieter.

My Volkswagen Experience
Owned a 2014 TDI Passat SE for 10K
Own a 2015 TDI Passat SEL with 2200 mi already
Own a 2010 Jetta TDI as well (80K and going strong)

God I love these TDI cars!

Last edited:

ZippyTDI

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL, 2010 JettaTDI
Edit: You're correct, I went back to check my pictures and the 2014 tail lights are the same as the 2015.

Last edited:

Zoso

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I too have a 2015 TDI SEL. I never had an earlier NMS model but I have followed these forums. So VW brought back rain sensing wipers on the 2015. Another thing that seems to be back that was absent in previous models was the low speed cornering lights. When you navigate a corner or activate a turn signal, the foglight for that direction turns on. From what I've read, this was something previous models needed activated with Vagcom.

So far my MPG has been great. Above expected but they are slowly coming down now that the weather is getting colder.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
My 2014 will activate the fogs on a turn (and I didn't activate anything), but to be honest I never noticed until I could see the reflection in a window or something like that. My Tiguan had real cornering lights (along with HIDs) and those were actually worthwhile. These fog cornering lights are worthless it seems.

pellapat

TDI
2014 TDI Passat
I really wanted a 15 SE manual. But they wanted 26.5 for it. Instead I got a 14 SE DSG for 8000 off of 31500. I am envious of your 15 sel I hope she brings you years of joy!!

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I too have a 2015 TDI SEL. <snip>
So far my MPG has been great. Above expected but they are slowly coming down now that the weather is getting colder.
This is inevitable. If you have a gas car, it will also happen with that. Just consult the first thread (a sticky) in this part of the forum.

big_ole_truck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Passat TDI SEL
The SEL trim level is a really nice upgrade from the SE. Not to offend anyone with the SE trim (I had a 2012 TDI SE), but I enjoy the amenities found on the SEL. The push button start is a great feature as is the upgraded radio system, as is the rain sensing wipers, touch door locks (on the outside handles), tilting mirror when backing up, etc etc.

Enjoy the new ride.