++ 2011 JSW 6MT Build ++

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT (and several others in the past)
Been staring at this box of goodies for several months. Less than 3 weeks before install. I'll be prepping the ECU this week (time to make sure I have a few dremmel cut-off wheels left).

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Arw you aticking with the CR140 turbo
Yeah. For now my plan is to wait until I need a clutch, at which time I'll do a South Bend clutch, S3 intercooler, CR170 & Stage 3 flash. I'm sitting at 73,000 miles so [I'm figuring] another 50,000 or so before I tackle all that. I guess I'll be looking at timing belt too. Better start saving ;).

A buddy of mine up here just went to CR170 this week. This was his text:

"Lots more turbo whistle. Power increase across the board but won't throw you back into the seat. Just smooth constant delivery. Drinks fuel when you get on it and sips when on cruise. Overall really great upgrade. Was satisfied with stage2 but this gives that little extra I was looking for. Quite pleased"

Looking at the dyno graphs that are out there CR170-Stage3 looks like an awesome daily driver. Sure it pushes the peak torque just a little to the right on RPM (maybe 500rpm?), but the negative slope is so much more gradual with greater volume under the curve, which I think reinforces my buddy's initial impression. I also hear guys are getting another +4mpg over Stage 2 (when driving conservatively). I'm getting about 36mpg average tank-to-tank, so I'm hoping for 40mpg with Stage 2 and mid 40's with CR170-s3.

Anyway, I'm down for it. Just need some more time to save up. Who knows... maybe next winter (2016).

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
I reference those videos because that's where I found out about wheel well.
Me too! I found /Tuned a couple weeks ago and then started watching Farah's One Takes today, namely the 2 Stage 3 Mkvi Jetta ones. I'll watch these, thanks.

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
Yeah. For now my plan is to wait until I need a clutch, at which time I'll do a South Bend clutch, S3 intercooler, CR170 & Stage 3 flash. I'm sitting at 73,000 miles so [I'm figuring] another 50,000 or so before I tackle all that. I guess I'll be looking at timing belt too. Better start saving ;).

A buddy of mine up here just went to CR170 this week. This was his text:

"Lots more turbo whistle. Power increase across the board but won't throw you back into the seat. Just smooth constant delivery. Drinks fuel when you get on it and sips when on cruise. Overall really great upgrade. Was satisfied with stage2 but this gives that little extra I was looking for. Quite pleased"

Looking at the dyno graphs that are out there CR170-Stage3 looks like an awesome daily driver. Sure it pushes the peak torque just a little to the right on RPM (maybe 500rpm?), but the negative slope is so much more gradual with greater volume under the curve, which I think reinforces my buddy's initial impression. I also hear guys are getting another +4mpg over Stage 2 (when driving conservatively). I'm getting about 36mpg average tank-to-tank, so I'm hoping for 40mpg with Stage 2 and mid 40's with CR170-s3.

Anyway, I'm down for it. Just need some more time to save up. Who knows... maybe next winter (2016).
Cool... Dont forget about exhaust set up to to add to the $$

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Cool... Dont forget about exhaust set up to to add to the $$
Not this guy... exhaust has been sitting in the garage for several months just begging to be installed. It's going into the car in exactly 1 week :cool:.

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Got the retro 6speed golf ball shift knob off Vortex for a great price.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.0T/News/ES2090735/
Can't help myself when it comes to nostalgia sometimes ;).
Also, updated my signature here with my WheelWell profile link.
Oh, and lastly this should be coming in middle of next week and I'm installing it under the cargo floor (only 2.7" tall!).

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Rockville powered 10" sub fits under the lower sportwagen storage.

OPEN

CLOSED

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Bad news: My shop got a little hung up today so have to move the job to Monday :(.

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Further bad news: I lost my MFD Gear Indicator in the new Malone flash. This alone means I have to go back to Bora, pull the ECU, crack it open, and re-bench flash. But, I would have to do that anyway becuase... I didn't know ASV delete was an optional thing depending on high pressure EGR delete format and I didn't specify that while I was at Bora... so I have 2 MIL's and a flashing glow plug light and check engine light because the ASV is removed (full race pipe in its place) and the ECU is looking for it. Also, my shop didn't have time to finish the gauges, however both are plumbed which is at least half the battle. I'm hoping to get back in to Bora in the next couple days and have the gauges finished on Friday. This is best case scenario.

On a positive note this car is chewing asphalt. It pulled straight to 102mph like it was nothing. Also, started raining here the last couple days, making the roads real slick. I can break the tires completely loose in 3rd gear!! Tires have less than 2,000 miles on them lol.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
You're gonna need a LSD in that tranny now :p

Well, not really... but it would help with the traction so you'd have 2 wheels spinning instead of one ;)

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
You're gonna need a LSD in that tranny now :p
I've had the pleasure of riding shotgun in a Darkside build. Allegedly the fastest common rail in the US (heard this from the new owner last week). Anyway, that car dyno'd 275Hp/404Tq (going off memory... chart is on Malone's site) and it had a Peloquin LSD. I couldn't believe how much hook-up he had given the torque you could feel it laying down. I doubt I'll ever do it though. It's so damn expensive. My tentaive plan, pending budget is CR170 this winter. Not sure where the s3 intercooler & SMF endurance clutch will fit in but need that too. Too combat wheel spin I'll probably look into wider wheels and more rubber. It handles it pretty good on dry pavent now. Its just complete garbage with these greasy roads the last 2 days.

Every diesel I've owned has been garbage on greasy roads, except the X5d. That thing is incredible on any road surface.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Sounds similar to my plans. Though I may stick with a stage 2 tune a bit longer.

A LSD is a must have on higher power cars though as you said it really does help put the power down :cool:

Last edited:

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
I've had the pleasure of riding shotgun in a Darkside build. Allegedly the fastest common rail in the US (heard this from the new owner last week). Anyway, that car dyno'd 275Hp/404Tq (going off memory... chart is on Malone's site) and it had a Peloquin LSD. I couldn't believe how much hook-up he had given the torque you could feel it laying down. I doubt I'll ever do it though. It's so damn expensive. My tentaive plan, pending budget is CR170 this winter. Not sure where the s3 intercooler & SMF endurance clutch will fit in but need that too. Too combat wheel spin I'll probably look into wider wheels and more rubber. It handles it pretty good on dry pavent now. Its just complete garbage with these greasy roads the last 2 days.

Every diesel I've owned has been garbage on greasy roads, except the X5d. That thing is incredible on any road surface.
I have had a peliquin in my MK4 golf and loved it...would like to do the same to the wagon but will see...sounds like you are having loads of fun with your new tune.

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
I have had a peliquin in my MK4 golf and loved it...would like to do the same to the wagon but will see...sounds like you are having loads of fun with your new tune.
Haven't had a chance to really get on it yet. Hoping to thrash some wine country tomorrow ;).

So, got my MFD gear indicator back (Malone accidentally deleted it) and got my ASV programmatically deleted so I no longer have to see flashing glow plug and check engine lights due to the physical removal of it :). I should have the gauges done next week.

So, according to my MFD it was 90 degrees today and my drive home took over an hour. I had the windows down instead of AC because I like open air. So, it was hot. Well, my powered sub went into protection mode twice towards the end of the trip home. I was worried about this. It has no integral fan and I mounted it in the lower cargo hold under the floor in the hatch. It's all carpet under there with no air flow. I could see this happening on hot days. So, there's a good chance I'll be doing something port + fan related.

Oh, one more thing: I like the stock shift knob better than the ECS golf ball so I swapped it back and the golf ball goes up on Ebay Sunday night :cool:.

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Might try to tackle it this week ;).
Just finished installing the DieselGeek Sigma 6. All I can say is the hype is real.

This was a straight forward installation just following the 4-part YouTube install videos by Jim at DieselGeek. These parts are so nice compared to the stock equipment I uninstalled. The fit and finish is so sweet. It's a shame you can't see any of it once the airbox is reinstalled ;). Its obvious to me why DieselGeek is dominating this particular aftermarket category.

So, it was 9:30 at night but I had to take it out for a spin on some back roads. I haven't had a chance to really get on it yet since Stage 2, and though I'm not a fan of pushing the limits in the dark... I pushed them for about 10 minutes and cruised back home.

The shifter feedback is unbelievably positive and notchy now. Travel feels like it was cut in half, yet throw effort feels reduced also.

I really don't think you can understand how bad the OEM shifter is until you run a Sigma 6. I also can not believe how much of a positive difference this made in my driving enjoyment. Its completely worth the money.

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI

Damn these ISSPRO EV2 gauges look awesome in the MKVI. I had to take an isometric shot [at an angle] to show the fuel and speedo needles at idle. I just got done programming the warning lamp and illumination settings. I'll try to get another shot in the day that shows how good the brushed aluminium bezel looks :cool:. Unfortunately I'm still not done as I continue to debate putting the thermocouple in the low pressure EGR blockoff plate (easier but...) or drilling and tapping the exhaust manifold (obvious but more challenging).

Shovel

TDI
None
Damn, those gauges look killer!

Do you have a part number for them or were they completely custom? Also, how much work was it getting the wires through the firewall and into the engine bay?

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Damn, those gauges look killer!

Do you have a part number for them or were they completely custom? Also, how much work was it getting the wires through the firewall and into the engine bay?
Thanks, man. They look so good day or night. I'm glad I stayed the course on this and didn't just go with the Polar FIS+.

Wiring is super easy. The only problem I'm having now is where to plumb in for the EGT. I want to use the low pressure EGR block off plate like a lot of the truck guys so but I'm not 100% sure it will work in this application. I may need a new, longer "K" thermocouple. I'm avoiding tapping the manifold if I can help it.

You should see a WheelWell link in my signature below. I'm doing a good job of populating this build there with all my parts, mfgr, supplier and part #'s. Please check it out. As for the customization, I think the only thing was the silver bezels that match the sportwagen gauge cluster. Everthing else you can program (like backlight intensity and color). I know an engineer at ISSPRO and he hooked me up. They are the only gauges made here in the US (right here in Portland, OR). The quality is the best I've ever had.

Shovel

TDI
None
I know an engineer at ISSPRO and he hooked me up. They are the only gauges made here in the US (right here in Portland, OR). The quality is the best I've ever had.
Those silver bezels look perfect and yes, I'm well aware of ISSPRO gauges. ;)

I've had Autometer gauges in the past and not too long ago went with ISSPRO gauges in my 7.3 powerstroke. They make everything else seem like cheap China crap! :cool: