dieselgate car - timing belt question

chal1enger

TDI
2011 Jetta Mk6 sedan 6mt
I have a 2011 Jetta TDI cjaa. I bought it with 60k on it, I'm at 65k now with no issues. I know the timing belt service is "130k miles" on the VW maintenance schedule.

My question is, being that it's a dieselgate car and likely sat for an undetermined length of time, would you replace it early? Or would you expect the 130k is still a safe target? Basically it would be nice to know from someone who replaces them, if the belts are toasted at 130k or if on average they are OK.

Yukon4Runner

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf (buyback) 2015 Golf Sportwagen (buyback buy)
If you manage to get a carfax report on your car, you’ll be able to figure out how long it sat on a VW buyback lot.

My mechanic tells me a timing belt ages with use, not time. Unless it has been exposed to particularly hot and dry conditions for several years. I’m thinking, the desert. In which case, use or no use, you’d want a more aggressive maintenance schedule.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It'll be fine, run it, don't worry about it. If it hits a decade since leaving the factory before you hit the mileage, then I'd go ahead and change it.

Every CBEA and CJAA timing belt I have taken off, even those with far beyond the mileage interval, looked perfectly fine. Looks don't tell you a whole lot, especially on these newer belts with the textured back side.

Obviously be aware of things like any strange noises, as well as the condition of the accessory belt, and if for some reason you need to go in there for something then you may end up doing it sooner (seeping water pump, for instance) but otherwise I'd just enjoy the car.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
sounds like you just gotta drive it about 30-40K a year and then get your full use out of that belt!