VW Rejecting Non-Clean Titles?

miltak

TDI
passat,jetta
Just spoke to Martin from Charhon Callahan
Robson & Garza, PLLC.
The lawsuit that they filled is exactly for people like us with rebuilt or salvage title.They filed on behalf of only one client,but he said we may be able to join.Their client pays them,but if they win I think VW would have to pay legal cost.
Please call them (214) 521-6400 and give them your info if you are in the same boat like me.VW is not responding to my pending claims since March last year.

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
I heard from a Lieff Cabraser attorney who called me after I wrote to their website that a judge is supposed to rule on the salvage issue in the first quarter of this year.

WISCO

TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
I heard from a Lieff Cabraser attorney who called me after I wrote to their website that a judge is supposed to rule on the salvage issue in the first quarter of this year.
I called VW Claims yesterday to ask what's holding up the processing of the branded title vehicles and reading between the lines it seems there's a lot of fraud. Big surprise that money exchanging hands would bring this out in people...

Dilly Dilly to a first quarter ruling.

jeffcapp99

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q7 TDI & VW Passat TDI
In college I went to a bar and there was a sign behind the bartender that said free beer tomorrow. I went back the next day and the sign said free beer tomorrow.

I cannot figure out why they keep kicking the can down the road. Cabreser is not being forth write with us and thus they have lost credibility. We still do not know what 'issue' the judge going to rule on, nor when is he going to rule. 'salvage' titles is vague. Is it the restitution? The eligibility? The flippers? Prior owners?

I am disappointed again.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
They kick the can down the road because they can and they owe you nothing. You are only background noise to them. Their only obligation is to look out for the interests of the lead plaintiffs, who are probably original owners, so salvage title stuff is only an ancillary thing in the big picture. At this point even if you had your own attorney I doubt if you would know much more. Seems like you would have to be on the inside track of this thing to get any info worth knowing.

2010golf

TDI
2010 golf 6spd manual RIP. 2015 golf 6spd manual
Just curious has anybody had any issues completing the buyback if you owned the Vehicle on or before September 18, 2015 ? . Reading through the various threads it seems like most of the holds and rejections are from vehicles purchased after September 18. I purchased my salvage title car in 2014 and completed the entire buyback within a month back in April. It seems to me like Volkswagen is favoring the owners of the vehicles affected when the scandal first broke. Maybe the "spirit of the setlemant" assumes all others knew they were getting a dirty diesel . The vauge wording and inconsistency is definitely frustrating. I was very worried mine woudnt go through. I didn't buy another car intill I saw the money hit the bank.

jeffcapp99

Veteran Member
TDI
They kick the can down the road because they can and they owe you nothing.
Lightflyer1 - I thought you said you were going to 'quietly' watch?

They DO owe us something. VW owes everyone to honor the agreement they signed. No one has told me where salvage cars are excluded. We often make choices by policy or rules or the way an agreement is written. People did this and now VW is not honoring their part. Also, 'noise down the road' is incorrect. The class is -

"Class Members are categorized as Eligible Owners, Eligible Lessees, or Eligible Sellers."

I fit the definition of eligible owner so I AM a class member whether you agree or not.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Has anyone else contacted them? I will call them tomorrow.

PS: if you don't own tdi,that has been stuck in this process ,please stay out of this post.We -the people,who are getting screwed by VW for so long just want to resolve this.
miltak's post brought me back in. Then I read yours and tried to honestly answer your question. VW is obligated to comply with the settlement and to abide by the terms set out there or to those that are amended by the judge. They seem to be doing this as I don't hear anything from the judge/attorneys about them breaching the terms.

No one including me said you weren't a class member. Only that you as a class member have no standing in this except to receive whatever the settlement finally decides to give you. Only the lead plaintiff(s) has/have the rights and responsibilities to actually be involved in the suit. That is why for the most part you get no answers from the attorneys as they don't work for you or your interests directly, only the lead plaintiff(s). If you want those rights you need your own attorney representing "you".

These are facts and are different from the discussion we were having before about the "intent of the settlement" and such.

What Rights Do I Have as a Class Member?
https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/faq/345651-rights-class-member/

http://www.litedepalma.com/?t=40&an=49011&anc=607&format=xml

What is the difference between a class representative and a class member?

A class representative is, for the most part, just like any other plaintiff in any other lawsuit. The representative is named in the suit and is involved in its day-to-day prosecution. Generally, this involves reviewing and approving filings with the Court (pleadings, motions, etc.), providing evidence by answering written questions and responding to requests for documents, giving testimony at a deposition and/or trial, and approving any proposed settlement on behalf of the class.

The difference is that a class representative is not just looking out for his or her own interest but for the interests of all of the class members who are not directly involved in the case. Because class members are not typically testifying or offering evidence, the class representative is tasked with being their voice and getting the best result for the class as a whole. For this reason, while the court may grant a small incentive fee to the class representative as compensation for the time he or she has invested in the lawsuit, in the case of a settlement the class representative may not agree to terms that are any more or less favorable than the terms that apply to all of the other members of the class.

The class representative must, of course, also be a class member. But while class members’ roles are usually (but not always, see below) limited to awaiting a resolution of the lawsuit to find out what, if any, relief they will receive, the class representative must remain diligent in ensuring that the members get the best relief possible as quickly as possible.

So if I’m a class member am I just playing the waiting game?

In a sense, yes, but there are a number of things you can do to help the suit and preserve your right to recover in the case of a judgment or settlement. The most important thing is not to get rid of anything that could be relevant. What is relevant, of course, depends on the particular case. But any receipts, records, communications with the defendant, bills, etc. that relate to the problem the lawsuit is trying to correct may become critical to your right to recover. In the event of a settlement, there will be a process through which class members can submit claims for compensation, and oftentimes this process will require some documentation of an individual’s membership in the class (the most obvious example being a receipt or proof of purchase in a product case). You may also be asked by the attorneys to provide this evidence in order to strengthen the case while it is ongoing. Hold on to everything!

If there is a settlement, you will likely receive notice via the process described above. In most cases notice will come through the mail (or possibly email). Other times, however, is may not be as simple to identify the individual class members. In these instances, notice might be accomplished through advertisements in newspapers, magazines, on the internet, or even in the subway. The best way, then, to make sure you receive notice is to contact the attorneys handling the case and give them your contact information. In fact, identifying yourself as a class member will not only help make sure you are aware of any settlement but may help the case itself by revealing that there’s yet one more person who has been harmed by the defendant’s conduct. Who knows, you may even decide you want to serve as a class representative to help protect people just like yourself!

eddiek12

TDI
Several..
Stop Trolling Bro

Hey LightFlyer, can you stop being such a troll? You're not in the position like all of us with hundreds of thousands of dollars sitting in limbo. Your constant replies are getting really annoying and you're doing nothing to help.. We all read the settlement, we don't need more quotes posted from it here.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Not a troll. What I posted above is not from the settlement. It is from other law firms defining what roles different representatives play in a class action suit. There is nothing here that is going to help you anyway. This is just a "public" forum for people to post in. If you want real help get your own lawyer working for you. Someone posted one above, try calling them. If you have that much cash invested you really are doing yourself a disservice not having your own legal representation. Besides commiserating here together, what exactly do you think you will get accomplished by being here? So far the only thing I have seen is to band together and get representation.

You have the ability to block me if the posts annoy you. Go to your User CP, on the left side click edit ignore list and add my user name. Then you can stop being annoyed.

Its not like I am being abusive or name calling or anything else that is banned here.

jibberjive

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 GSW
miltak's post brought me back in.
The post of yours that I quoted wasn't in response to miltak. Lol, you just can't help yourself.

[paitentily waiting for this reply to provoke another 'justification' response from you for why you posted after saying you wouldn't :D]

jibberjive

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 GSW
Just curious has anybody had any issues completing the buyback if you owned the Vehicle on or before September 18, 2015 ?
Also curious about this. From the transcription of the last 'status' meeting, it seems as though they are [at least trying] to make a distinction between cars totaled before and after September 18, 2015. I'm not sure if they are officially trying to make a distinction between cars owned before or after that date though.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The post of yours that I quoted wasn't in response to miltak. Lol, you just can't help yourself.
[paitentily waiting for this reply to provoke another 'justification' response from you for why you posted after saying you wouldn't :D]
I cannot figure out why they keep kicking the can down the road.
I just answered your question for you while responding to miltak. You don't seem to understand that you are a class member and not the class representative. The only thing you are entitled to is to collect whatever they decide when everything is finished. That is why you keep getting kicked down the road as you say.

You can file a claim.
You can read the public record releases from the court.
You can collect whatever is decided when everything is complete.

Anything other than those 3 things is done at the lawyers indulgence, for class members.

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
Just curious has anybody had any issues completing the buyback if you owned the Vehicle on or before September 18, 2015 ? . Reading through the various threads it seems like most of the holds and rejections are from vehicles purchased after September 18. I purchased my salvage title car in 2014 and completed the entire buyback within a month back in April. It seems to me like Volkswagen is favoring the owners of the vehicles affected when the scandal first broke. Maybe the "spirit of the setlemant" assumes all others knew they were getting a dirty diesel . The vauge wording and inconsistency is definitely frustrating. I was very worried mine woudnt go through. I didn't buy another car intill I saw the money hit the bank.
Yes. Vehicle purchased new in June of 2014. Accident on Nov 25, 2016. To keep possession had to convert to salvage certificate (not title), at the time VW/Lief Cabraser assured me that as long as (a) the engine would run and (b) it could move under it's own power they would honor the buyback. Buyback approved in January 2017. First appointment (early march) cancelled a few hours before by VW, second appointment cancelled a few days ahead. In limbo till September with "please upload a correct title" message. In September, uploaded proof of purchase (original buy order), now stuck at step 15.

In retrospect, should have taken the full insurance settlement plus the original owner restitution. I might have been slightly short, but the hassle hasn't been worth it. Plus, it would be nice to have garage space.

E2Tdi

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Also curious about this. From the transcription of the last 'status' meeting, it seems as though they are [at least trying] to make a distinction between cars totaled before and after September 18, 2015. I'm not sure if they are officially trying to make a distinction between cars owned before or after that date though.
Jibberjive, I like to take a look at the transcription of the last 'status' meeting that you are referring to. Can you provide a link or tell me where I can go to get this transcription?

GolfTDISA

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Passat tdi
I just found this , maybe this got something to do as well with the wait

This was filed in Dec /15/2017
VW urged a federal judge to trim claims in a class action filed by diesel car owners who sold their vehicles before the infamous “defeat device” scandal was revealed.

Lead plaintiffs alleged in their class action lawsuit that they have been excluded from several other class actions, but suffered losses due to the lowered value of their VW vehicles equipped with the so-called defeat device.

VW argues that former owners who sold their cars or ended their leases before regulators revealed in September 2015 that the company had included a device designed to “defeat” or falsely lower emissions testing results do not have a claim because they suffered no loss.

The car company claims that those who sold their VW or Audi vehicles before the scandal broke are trying to cash in on a “windfall” even though the value of their vehicle was not affected at the time they transferred ownership.

VW points out that in previous class actions over the emissions scandal, plaintiffs dropped proposed Classes including VW owners and lessees who sold their vehicles before the scandal hit.

“Notably, the [Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee’s (PSC)] original consolidated consumer class complaint incorporated the Pre-[Notices of Violation (NOV)] Plaintiffs into its broad class definition, which included ‘all persons and entities in the United States who purchased or leased’ …vehicles at any time,” states VW in its motion to dismiss the class action. “But the PSC elected to drop any purported claims on behalf of owners and lessees who sold or stopped leasing their vehicles before the NOVs, with their own expert noting that ‘individuals who sold their vehicles prior to disclosure of the fraud . . . suffered no economic harm, since they sold their vehicles before the announcement of the fraud and the resulting price drop of the vehicles.'”

This VW class action lawsuit is trying to make VW pay twice, claims the car-maker, by compensating owners and lessees both before and after the defeat device scandal dropped.

However, the former VW owners and lessees argue in their class action lawsuit that they purchased their VW or Audi vehicles under the false pretense that the cars were environmentally friendly. The former owners allege that they suffered harm, even though they were unaware, because they paid more for vehicles that were advertised as emitting less pollution.

VW counters by claiming that the plaintiffs did not adequately establish that they paid a premium for their VW and Audi vehicles based on environmental factors.

“The Complaint does not plead what portion, if any, of the diesel model price was supposedly attributable specifically to lower NOx emissions, as opposed to other beneficial performance aspects of diesel models that the Pre-NOV Plaintiffs concede they obtained,” contends VW in its motion to dismiss.

The plaintiffs are represented by Shana E. Scarlett and Steve W. Berman of Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro LLP, and Stuart M. Paynter of The Paynter Law Firm PLLC.

The Volkswagen Former Owners Class Action Lawsuit is Jennifer Nemet, et al. v. Volkswagen Group of America Inc., et al., Case No. 3:17-cv-04372, in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Thanks for that post! This would include me as I sold my Passat only a day or so before the cut off date. Signed up with SBHH LLP.

jeffcapp99

Veteran Member
TDI
GolfTDISA - Thanks for the post. I agree with VW. If no one knew about an event, then how did those people lose? As an example, if I bought a bitcoin for $1 and sold it for $100 but now it is worth $16,000 today and (hypothetically) there is some fraud lawsuit. Should I inure benefit from the lawsuit? I would say no. But I do not care if judges approves or denies this. I do care about salvage titles. Those are explicit in the document and they are not being addressed. Cabreaser has been lying to the class for months about this issue it is time to fix it.

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
GolfTDISA - Thanks for the post. I agree with VW. If no one knew about an event, then how did those people lose? As an example, if I bought a bitcoin for $1 and sold it for $100 but now it is worth $16,000 today and (hypothetically) there is some fraud lawsuit. Should I inure benefit from the lawsuit? I would say no. But I do not care if judges approves or denies this. I do care about salvage titles. Those are explicit in the document and they are not being addressed. Cabreaser has been lying to the class for months about this issue it is time to fix it.
Exactly. I'm coming to the conclusion (even without the salvage issue) that the TDI was not the great deal it was cracked up to be. There was a premium price for it, compared to the gas version--I seem to recall on the order of $4500 or so. With the fuel economy gain, one could expect to come out ahead over time, as long as the price difference between diesel fuel and gas stayed fairly low. Here recently, at least in eastern PA/Jersey, the differential cost between fuels is approaching 50 cents a gallon. No way that diesel engine pays for itself.

How exactly were any of us injured if we got rid of the car before Sept 15, 2015? Normal depreciation applied.

GolfTDISA

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Passat tdi
In my opinion previous owners will not collect a dime , is it fair ?in my opinion it is not ,but it is to late for lawsuits they had time until last year deadlines to do something . They are just slowing us down the "current owners" in collecting .

GolfTDISA

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Passat tdi
The next report comes out on the 30th of this Month. Instead chatting and not doing anything I say let all of us email and demand to find out what the hold up is for. All until now everyone is just guessing this and that , our counsel lawyers are supposedly have no clue of what even Judge will rule on. Let all build some steam by all of us separately Emailing and making a complaint to Federal Trade commision https://www.ftc.gov/ , the Ankura counselors located on this address handling quarterly reports https://ankura.com/?s=volkswagen+ and EPA https://www.epa.gov/ maybe someone will react or VW will have the decency to let people know.

WISCO

TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
Exactly. I'm coming to the conclusion (even without the salvage issue) that the TDI was not the great deal it was cracked up to be. (SIC)
How exactly were any of us injured if we got rid of the car before Sept 15, 2015? Normal depreciation applied.
Prior to 2009 the TDI was a fantastic deal even if you paid more. Unfortunately the emissions control equipment made ownership more problematic. For instance the 2004 Jetta TDI needed the timing belt (also the water pump if you're smart) done at 85K at a cost of $800. I think VW (and most mfgs) erred on marketing the 3.0 tdi and should have specified that the DEF pump and heater be replaced at 100k at a subsidized cost of $800. The Mfgs bought into the mythology that diesels could last forever rather than keeping with the times.

I like the performance and feel of the diesel in a ruck and would pay a premium, much like upgrading to a V8. However on the issue of former owners saying they got screwed because they sold before September 18, 2015 are probably the same people who didn't dump money into the stock market when it bottomed out in 2008. It was a missed opportunity, but it was their decision and a little bit of bad luck.

jeffcapp99

Veteran Member
TDI
The next report comes out on the 30th of this Month. Instead chatting and not doing anything I say let all of us email and demand to find out what the hold up is for. All until now everyone is just guessing this and that , our counsel lawyers are supposedly have no clue of what even Judge will rule on. Let all build some steam by all of us separately Emailing and making a complaint to Federal Trade commision https://www.ftc.gov/ , the Ankura counselors located on this address handling quarterly reports https://ankura.com/?s=volkswagen+ and EPA https://www.epa.gov/ maybe someone will react or VW will have the decency to let people know.
GOlftdisa is correct. We need to keep the pressure on. I have spoken with class counsel several times and I am less than impressed. It is not that they are saying things I disagree with, it is that they do not have their finger on the pulse of the salvage issue. I think keeping up the pressure is a great idea. I will shoot some emails and make some phone calls. Maybe the squeaky wheel (nice salvage pun) will get some needed grease.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
No wonder you're mad about the "flippers."
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

This was filed in Dec /15/2017
VW urged a federal judge to trim claims in a class action filed by diesel car owners who sold their vehicles before the infamous “defeat device” scandal was revealed.

Lead plaintiffs alleged in their class action lawsuit that they have been excluded from several other class actions, but suffered losses due to the lowered value of their VW vehicles equipped with the so-called defeat device.

VW argues that former owners who sold their cars or ended their leases before regulators revealed in September 2015 that the company had included a device designed to “defeat” or falsely lower emissions testing results do not have a claim because they suffered no loss.

The car company claims that those who sold their VW or Audi vehicles before the scandal broke are trying to cash in on a “windfall” even though the value of their vehicle was not affected at the time they transferred ownership.

VW points out that in previous class actions over the emissions scandal, plaintiffs dropped proposed Classes including VW owners and lessees who sold their vehicles before the scandal hit.

“Notably, the [Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee’s (PSC)] original consolidated consumer class complaint incorporated the Pre-[Notices of Violation (NOV)] Plaintiffs into its broad class definition, which included ‘all persons and entities in the United States who purchased or leased’ …vehicles at any time,” states VW in its motion to dismiss the class action. “But the PSC elected to drop any purported claims on behalf of owners and lessees who sold or stopped leasing their vehicles before the NOVs, with their own expert noting that ‘individuals who sold their vehicles prior to disclosure of the fraud . . . suffered no economic harm, since they sold their vehicles before the announcement of the fraud and the resulting price drop of the vehicles.'”

This VW class action lawsuit is trying to make VW pay twice, claims the car-maker, by compensating owners and lessees both before and after the defeat device scandal dropped.

However, the former VW owners and lessees argue in their class action lawsuit that they purchased their VW or Audi vehicles under the false pretense that the cars were environmentally friendly. The former owners allege that they suffered harm, even though they were unaware, because they paid more for vehicles that were advertised as emitting less pollution.

VW counters by claiming that the plaintiffs did not adequately establish that they paid a premium for their VW and Audi vehicles based on environmental factors.

“The Complaint does not plead what portion, if any, of the diesel model price was supposedly attributable specifically to lower NOx emissions, as opposed to other beneficial performance aspects of diesel models that the Pre-NOV Plaintiffs concede they obtained,” contends VW in its motion to dismiss.

The plaintiffs are represented by Shana E. Scarlett and Steve W. Berman of Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro LLP, and Stuart M. Paynter of The Paynter Law Firm PLLC.

The Volkswagen Former Owners Class Action Lawsuit is Jennifer Nemet, et al. v. Volkswagen Group of America Inc., et al., Case No. 3:17-cv-04372, in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California.
Did I miss the part that covered denied claims based on salvage status?

GolfTDISA

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Passat tdi
Update to make a complaint on Rebuilt Salvage Title holdup

Please send complaint to
Volkswagen Group of America
2200 Ferdinand Porsche Dr.
Herndon, VA 20171
(248) 754-5000

Secondly to Federal Trade commission please use the phone number as well
FTC Phone number 877-382-4357

and mostly on Ankara Consulting tom.geddes@ankura.com

Thomas J. Geddes is an Associate at Ankura where he focuses primarily on claim processing and facilitating technology-enabled solutions in regards to the Volkswagen TDI Emissions Settlement matter. He is a recently graduated legal professional with extensive experience drafting and reviewing contracts and agreements, specifically in the areas of intellectual property, licensing, and business development. He is based in Washington, DC.

Director:
john.hays@ankura.com

John Hays is a Director at Ankura with considerable experience in all aspects of mass tort settlement administration, including managing teams to both develop and utilize technology-assisted solutions to efficiently process and administrate historically complex mass tort settlements. Additionally, as the head of Ankura’s Volkswagen Clean Diesel Settlement project management office, John manages all areas of budgeting, invoicing, financial modeling/reporting, and personnel tracking. He is based in Washington, DC
and

Lastly EPA
epa general email: OTAQ@epa.gov, or Iddings.Brianna@epa.gov

People lets bombard these people with our Emails we got nothing to lose.

mirtdi

TDI
10 Jetta
Info Please all send in

Great Info GolfTDI, just submitted mine, lets all focus on what we can do regardless of outcome. Like Jeffcapp said we need to be squeeky to the right people, class counsel has turned a def ear to us. Clear, rebuilt and salvage tiles are all being delayed, this is not part of the settlement which has been said over and over.

Can a moderator, please put this up at the top, how to file an appeal with crc, ftc, epa? We need many complaints on record or nothing will be noted when the judge rules on this.

Lead Counsel of entire settlement, all other attorneys assist my understanding. Not sure who or which directly speaks to vw, but we are getting pushed off to paralegals now.

Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein, LLP
275 Battery Street, 29th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94111

https://www.lieffcabraser.com/contact

T (415) 956 1000 fx (415) 956 1008

Attorney: Phong Nguyen
email:
pgnguyen@lchb.com

Last edited: