Improving the trunk light

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Given that these are no longer Passat specific and can be used on any car with the provided adapters, this discussion with deAutoKey needs to continue in the vendor section.

I think we've provided all of the feedback and beta testing that we can at this point, and from here on out it's about selling the product. This section of the forum is not the appropriate place for that discussion.

deAutoLED.com

Vendor
TDI
2002 jetta TDI
Given that these are no longer Passat specific and can be used on any car with the provided adapters, this discussion with deAutoKey needs to continue in the vendor section.

I think we've provided all of the feedback and beta testing that we can at this point, and from here on out it's about selling the product. This section of the forum is not the appropriate place for that discussion.
Correct, we do not want to step out of line here.

Thank you

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
LokiWolf: how did you route the LEDs with the sub in the way?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

No need. It is in front of the sub. Ran the cables in the channel above via the holes. Stick it in, push it to the end. No issues.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I ran my wires through the rear deck lid like Loki and LEDs mounted all around the subwoofer.

inthewoods

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE Manual
The slow boat delivered some new toys... 36" waterproof strip with 60 LED's (5050 SMD) and a bulb adaptor.

I also have a few extra of these. PM me if you want one. :D

Quick little test, and everything looks good with no errors. Time to get some wire and bust out the soldering gun.

Installed...

Not too bad for a $10 project. :cool:

Last edited:

hawkz

TDI
'13 Passat TDI
Nice job man. How come you chose to go with weatherproof LEDs instead of just the normal ones? Just in case?

inthewoods

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE Manual
Nice job man. How come you chose to go with weatherproof LEDs instead of just the normal ones? Just in case?
No real reason... it just looked similar to the strip deAutoKey was selling.

But I'm glad I did get a weatherproof strip because it has a protective cover so if something metallic did contact the strip it will not short out.

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
No real reason... it just looked similar to the strip deAutoKey was selling.

But I'm glad I did get a weatherproof strip because it has a protective cover so if something metallic did contact the strip it will not short out.
DeAutoKey's are coated. They are not exposed strips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
I like inthewoods' method (mainly because it's cheap at <$10 and effective), so bought the same LED strip and he was kind enough to send me one of the bulb adapters. I finally got some time this morning, so gave it a shot. Total project took me two hours, including a trip to the hardware store and a couple of screw-ups. Here's how it went:
Removing bulb casing is a snap. Removing bulb is only a little tricky (had to figure out to carefully pry off sides of metal casing in order to remove).
Replace bulb with bulb adaptor.
At that point I tested the strip by touching the wires to the bulb adaptor--success!
Here's where it actually got a bit tricky: the bulb adaptor has pretty short wires attached, and I didn't have the female connector that would match the included male connector. So I removed the male connector and soldered the wires to 18 gauge wire (smaller wire would be better, but it was on clearance at Ace Hardware). Then I had to fit the soldered connections INSIDE the metal casing, since the adaptor wires were too short to run outside the casing. I spent ~20 minutes fumbling around because the bulb adaptor kept popping out when I squeezed everything together. Finally got it all right though, and from there it was easy again.
Taking the 18 gauge wire, I passed it through the hole in the liner for the bulb housing, the up to above the wheel well. This part was surprisingly easy due to the presence of an access panel half way along the run.
Then I just had to place the LED strip using the self-adhesive 3M backing, and connect the wires to the 18 gauge using screw connectors (didn't want to solder in my trunk, and figure that it'll be sturdy enough).
If I can figure out how to include pictures, I'll attach some. But the bottom line is, anyone who has a few tools and is a little bit handy can do this mod in a couple of hours. If you're not thrilled about stripping wires and/or soldering, I'd spend $10-$20 more for deautokey's solution. Either way, the added light is awesome!

inthewoods

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE Manual
Lincoln, glad it worked for you!

Yeah that bulb connector is tricky. I need to redo mine because I used crimp connectors (being lazy).

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
Lincoln, glad it worked for you!

Yeah that bulb connector is tricky. I need to redo mine because I used crimp connectors (being lazy).
If I were to do it over again myself, I'd just solder wires to the contact points inside the bulb housing, skipping the bulb adaptor entirely. That's less temporary (since I wanted to be sure I could undo the job if I didn't like it), but would be simpler and faster. The rest would be a snap.

One other note--I'm disappointed in the 3M backing. After a few hours it was sagging in multiple locations. Car was parked in my garage at ~60F, so no extreme temperatures. It was nothing a few strips of electrical tape didn't fix, but was irritating anyway. Seems like the backing should be able to easily support the weight of the strip on a clean, dry surface.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
If it fell off at 60F, it probably wasn't real 3M brand tape.

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
Could be, since it came from China. Had the 3M logo, but that's pretty easy to copy. I don't want to start a rant, but it seems to me like many Chinese products have gotten to the point where quality is so low as to be completely worthless. I was willing to chance these since they worked for inthewoods, and am mostly satisfied since the LEDs themselves work great (and adding a little electrical tape is hardly a major inconvenience). Now I'll just need to see if they last. If not, I'll shell out 4x as much for a set of LEDs made in USA. But that's one upside of cheap Chinese crap--use it while experimenting to see whether something works, then go with better quality once the concept is proven.

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
That might be part of my problem--I placed my strip slightly further back (toward rear of vehicle) than you did, and went over somewhat more contours as a result. It did pull off from the flats too though... Oh well. Not worth getting worked up over. Just a minor complaint. In general, the fix is still great--it's day vs. night compared to how it used to be in the trunk, and all for ~$10. Plus it was fun.

wyrosjr

TDI
2013 passat se tdi 6m white
did my trunk light install

I got my lights in a package of 30-40 feet I think(10$). Shipped from China on ebay I believe. They do seem the water resistant type. Have a claimed 3m adhesive on the back. I used some hot glue anyway. I did a cargo light mod in jeep cherokee also with them and I have tons of lights still left over. Even lets some kids practice soldering with them and using batteries to light them up.

I will get another picture at dark.

Last edited:

wyrosjr

TDI

Here it is. Pics here are a bit more involved. Those are my helpers up there in the other picture. They quite enjoy the trunk. Must be nice to be a kid.

Last edited:

wyrosjr

TDI
I got it fixed. It seems very bright to me now. I can't help but think of how cheap most of the oem stuff is on nearly all cars. The places they cut corners..

Roishe Cheng

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Does anyone know what the fuse rating is for the trunk light in a 2013 Passat? I figure it probably controls other things as well. Was wondering if I could draw 1 amp off of it.

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
All interior lights are on the same circuit feed, being switched to ground when activated. They are controlled in some cases through the BCM, so you really can't point to an individual fuse. 1 amp load should be OK.

Roishe Cheng

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
All interior lights are on the same circuit feed, being switched to ground when activated. They are controlled in some cases through the BCM, so you really can't point to an individual fuse. 1 amp load should be OK.
Thank you Norm for the info. Looking to put a CREE XPE in the trunk with a BuckPuck DC driver for lighting. Just an experiment right now.

B6Flier

TDI
2013 Passat SE
Hi all,
No pictures of this yes, but I will get some up. I bought these lights from Amazon.
They come with two faced tape already in place on them. Along with the light lead, there is along length of 2 wire cord to run to your power source. I elected to run from the trunk light itself.
I took the light fixture out of the trunk liner. Unhooked the power to the light and then took it to my shop bench. Will a little bit of prying you can get the metal cover off the back. I then took the supplied wire they gave me and soldered to the two tabs that inside of the metal cover on the factory light. The metal cover then clips back into place over top of the new line that you soldered into place. I then simply ran the line up behind the trunk liner to the top forward portion of the trunk and attached it to the lights which I had "taped" into place. It makes an incredible difference in how much you can see in the trunk and the factory light will still light up.
I will post some pictures when I get home.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Bought this light of eBay for about $ 1.10 shipped to me and my trunk is so bright I can read in it.
Light I bought.