2006 Jetta TDI A/C condenser fan not running

Clarko

TDI
2006 Volkswagen
My a/c stopped cooling at idle or low speed. I took car to loacal not vw mechanic. He said cooling fan needs to be replaced. Said one of the two fans was not running. They found a blown fuse and replaced that but then the fan would not turn off. I'm not sold that it's the fan problem. Seems if that were the case then when the fuse was replaced it would have blown again without the fan starting to run. I think it might be some type of sensor problem. Can anyone help here?

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
If the fan runs when connected directly to 12 volts, then it is possibly the fan control module. But usually, if the a/c is on, and one fan runs while the other does not, then the other fan needs replacement.

There is also the open the fan motor and see if it is repairable, as some of them are. Your choice.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Fuses can be a problem...

The fan control module is built into the big fan... if your small fan is non-operational, it needs either the brushes fixed, the bearings oiled, or the fan replaced.

The little one is a bit of a problem to diagnose. The whole fan support needs to be removed. Run a jumper wire to the leads on the small fan. If it does not run, either the brushes are sticking or the bearings are fried. If the brush support is not totally melted (why they make them out of plastic is beyond me...), then you can use graphite and a bit of whittling with a knife to fix the brushes until the slide freely. Otherwise, replace the fan.

The fuse panels under the hood and in the left side of the dash by the driver's door are both problems. Corrosion and burnt out connectors. Spray something like WD-40 or CRC over the panel and check each fuse connection for arcing, burnt spots or corrosion. The 40amp fuse that is in the front passenger side of the power fuse block is very prone to melting. Resistance from the spade in the fuse box will heat the fuse until it melts the fusible link.

Other than that, there are several other things that will kill the a/c. It's a very detailed study.

The_Wood

TDI
14 Jetta 6MT; 06 Jetta DSG
Reviving an old thread here - have been searching for some replacement fans for my 06 Jetta, and I've been informed that the GLI fans will fit. I found a set from a 2007 GTI - does anyone know if the fans are the same and/or will fit? Waiting to get part numbers back from the seller. Any feedback or guidance is much appreciated!

Lba2

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
My a/c stopped cooling at idle or low speed. I took car to loacal not vw mechanic. He said cooling fan needs to be replaced. Said one of the two fans was not running. They found a blown fuse and replaced that but then the fan would not turn off. I'm not sold that it's the fan problem. Seems if that were the case then when the fuse was replaced it would have blown again without the fan starting to run. I think it might be some type of sensor problem. Can anyone help here?
Hi,I have same problem, did you solved it
Thanks
Lab2

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
No fan giving no cooling when standing is a solid diagnosis. Hard to speculate on the why without seeing it.

Last edited:

SpeedKing

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
My a/c fan hasn't worked since I got my 2002 Jetta TDI last summer. Car would still stay cool . The other fan would come on after parking. Decided to install Fan Control Module. Got one on e-bay $14.80, 1yr warranty , made in USA. Now neither fan works and lost A/C. A friend told me he has bad luck with US made electrical parts. SO, do I try the $98 FCM from WorldPac or try switching out the Thermo-sensor? in the radiator ? Thanks for any and all help