Misfueling Prevention

Joyrex

TDI
2012 Passat SEL
Just curious what if any misfueling prevention caps everyone is using to protect there new Passat TDI's.

SoloDiesel http://www.solodiesel.eu/ looks good, but pretty pricy with the over seas shipping from the UK.

Any suggestions?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Just curious what if any misfueling prevention caps everyone is using to protect there new Passat TDI's.

SoloDiesel http://www.solodiesel.eu/ looks good, but pretty pricy with the over seas shipping from the UK.

Any suggestions?
I use a locking fuel cap to prevent well meaning friends and family from misfueling my car. I use my brain to prevent me from misfueling my car. I always double check which pump and which hose I use. If at an unfamiliar station, I have even been knows to sniff the pump nozzle to make sure I cannot smell gasoline. Most of the misfueling adapters I have seen are too cheap and unreliable to use for very long. I also have several "diesel fuel only" stickers around my fuel filler cap and a "Turbo Diesel Inside" sticker on the rear window right above the fuel filler (I have a wagon). So far, I have not even come close to putting in the wrong fuel.

Have Fun!

Don

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
My wife and I drove diesel cars exclussively for over 25 years. Now that we both drive gassers....................................neither of us have even reached for the diesel nozzle. I'm not sure why some people think fueling up is so confussing.

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
My wife and I drove diesel cars exclussively for over 25 years. Now that we both drive gassers....................................neither of us have even reached for the diesel nozzle. I'm not sure why some people think fueling up is so confussing.
Especially with the Passat. How often does one need to put diesel in?

One can go to a place that has separate pump areas for diesel only. It's impossible to put gasoline in at one of those kiosks.

Joyrex

TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I would rather just not have the possibility exist... I'm more worried about others then myself, but there are some days I leave I work pretty fried and close to brain dead and this is my first diesel.

The locking cap and stickers may be good cheap quick solution until I can find something. Thanks for the suggestion

CNGracing

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE MT6
I would rather just not have the possibility exist... I'm more worried about others then myself, but there are some days I leave I work pretty fried and close to brain dead and this is my first diesel.

The locking cap and stickers may be good cheap quick solution until I can find something. Thanks for the suggestion
Or do what I do...DONT LET ANYONE DRIVE YOUR TDI!!! :D:D:D
Then only one you have to worry about is yourself. :D

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
1. Look for diesel pumps. Ideally, you'd use a station that has separate diesel-only kiosks, like CountryMark in Liberty Indiana does.

2. Look for the sticky mess of spilled diesel on the ground, on the handle, and so forth. It's often pretty obvious which pumps have diesel and which don't.

3. Securely tape a note that says "DIESEL ONLY!!!" over the fuel cap if you let someone borrow the car and make sure it has been filled up. Making someone remove the taped note is going to make them stop and think. If you're really worried about yourself, you can do the same thing for yourself.

4. Before you start pumping, take a hard look at the kiosk and your pump, to triple-check that it's diesel. Don't rely on the color of the pump handle.

5. Always fill the car up completely. The fewer times you have to put fuel in, the lower the chance of error.

6. If your car is new, be sure to keep fresh air coming in from outside, so you don't get intoxication from the VOCs off-gassed (the "new car smell"). If you get fatigued from these chemicals, you might be more prone to slip up at the pump. Air the car out before driving it, and try the heated seats to keep you warm if the weather is cold and you have windows cracked.

7. Keep your receipts and photocopy or scan them because the print may fade.

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
4. Before you start pumping, take a hard look at the kiosk and your pump, including the color of the fuel pump handle, to triple-check that it's diesel.
DO NOT pay too much attention to the color of the pump handle. This varies depending on the area and station. On my 4000 mile drive to and from the TDIFest this year I pumped diesel from Green, Black, and Yellow pump handles. There is NO STANDARD about diesel fuel pump handle colors. Your area might have all the same colors for diesel, but do not count on that being true everywhere. Read the signs, sniff the pump, etc.- but do not rely on handle color.

Have Fun!

Don

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Right on, Don. And color is what got me in trouble this summer in MD, when I mistook a yellow handle for D2. Pumped .8 gal of gas before realizing. Drove ~1200 miles over the next 2 days and kept topping the tank in order to dilute.

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
DO NOT pay too much attention to the color of the pump handle. This varies depending on the area and station. On my 4000 mile drive to and from the TDIFest this year I pumped diesel from Green, Black, and Yellow pump handles. There is NO STANDARD about diesel fuel pump handle colors. Your area might have all the same colors for diesel, but do not count on that being true everywhere. Read the signs, sniff the pump, etc.- but do not rely on handle color.
That should be changed. There should be a regulation. I updated my list.

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW, 2012 Passat TDI SE
I have a locking fuel cap. Would only use it if I loaned the car to someone which I never would do. They are a real pain to use, especially in the rain with no roof over your head.

Mis-fueling is very easy to prevent....JUST DON'T DO IT.:eek:

TDICT

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW...SOLD..2012 Passat TDI SEL Black on Black...Now Here
The color of the pump nozzle is inconstant. If you put the wrong hose in the tank fuel/gas will only come out once you make the selection on the pump. Put the gas nozzle in and press the diesel start button no fuel will be pumped in the gas nozzle.
All that said I have learned from years of running/delivering boats to alway test the nozzle with my nose. Marina fuel pumps are often 100 feet or more from the nozzle so you can't alway see what the nozzle you are holding is attached to...so give it the sniff test.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
When I cut a piece of wood with my skill saw I check double check triple check quadruple check BEFORE I hit the trigger to make sure all fingers and hands are clear.
I use the same reasoning....I never jump out and fill.... I take my time ...let car idle to let turbo cool down....open the hatch grab my power service/ B100 combo and dump it in...start eying the diesel pump...put my credit card in....eye that pump again...hit the release fuel trigger that says diesel....then I put pump in ....check all fingers and make sure one last time it's diesel then hit the trigger and even as I start to fuel I am still double checking although too late by then.......sooooo easy to make an error...I think the key is.....sloooooow down when filling up. Think...then pump.

Joyrex

TDI
2012 Passat SEL
When I cut a piece of wood with my skill saw I check double check triple check quadruple check BEFORE I hit the trigger to make sure all fingers and hands are clear.
I use the same reasoning....I never jump out and fill.... I take my time ...let car idle to let turbo cool down....open the hatch grab my power service/ B100 combo and dump it in...start eying the diesel pump...put my credit card in....eye that pump again...hit the release fuel trigger that says diesel....then I put pump in ....check all fingers and make sure one last time it's diesel then hit the trigger and even as I start to fuel I am still double checking although too late by then.......sooooo easy to make an error...I think the key is.....sloooooow down when filling up. Think...then pump.

I suspect most misfuelings are caused by the non-owners, so a locking cap is the minimum required for times when you have to loan your car out or let your wife use it..

Anyone have the stant part number for a locking cap that fits the 2012 passat?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Anyone have the stant part number for a locking cap that fits the 2012 passat?
The Stant 10501D fits all Jettas and Golfs, so it probably also fits the Passat, but I'm not certain since I haven't tried it. Amazon sells it for under $20.

Have Fun!

Don

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
The Stant 10501D fits all Jettas and Golfs, so it probably also fits the Passat, but I'm not certain since I haven't tried it. Amazon sells it for under $20.

Have Fun!

Don
nobody will EVER fill my car up but yours truly...wife brings it home and I take it to fuel it...on the road with her I fuel it every time....if i need to lend a car they can borrow my silverado

Joyrex

TDI
2012 Passat SEL

Have Fun!

Don

Learned the hard way already that one does not fit.. The passat has a cap with only a couple of threads.. very short. I'll try e-mailing stant

Joyrex

TDI
2012 Passat SEL
nobody will EVER fill my car up but yours truly...wife brings it home and I take it to fuel it...on the road with her I fuel it every time....if i need to lend a car they can borrow my silverado
ahh always good to have a spare silverado to loan out. :D

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium

Any suggestions?

I use a THINKING CAP. When you allow them time to work, they work very well. Do not overload them with nonessential assignments.:)

(That means simply to pay attention to the task at hand(refueling) and not daydream..)

Bill

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
You could just pick the most expensive fuel, its likely diesel.
not here....premium unleaded is 1.38/liter....diesel is 1.24 per liter...please dont complain all our friends to the south....you still have some of the world's cheapest fuel. our dollar is at par....we are a NET exporter of fuel to mainly the US of A and we pay way more than you do for fuel. sorry off topic I guess....

johnt26

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan
Hi all,
The few times we have lent our diesel Jetta to others we use the previously mentioned note method.
I put a big slab of duct tape over the fuel cap and write "diesel only" on it, that should be plenty!

listerone

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 BMW 540d
I don't use anything.For a while after I bought my "d" (my first diesel) I was in a blind panic about misfuelling it.That panic left me long ago.When I lend my diesel to a family member/friend I always do two things....1) make sure that there's much more fuel in it than they'll require and 2) inform them that that's the case and *beg* them not to even consider putting fuel in it.

Also,my "d" had a special part built in to the filler neck that didn't allow the thinner "gas" nozzles into the filler neck.And I'm almost certain that my Bluetec has a similar feature.

listerone

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 BMW 540d
...please dont complain all our friends to the south....you still have some of the world's cheapest fuel.
Your gas and diesel is more expensive than ours because you choose to tax yourselves heavily...or,at least,your *politicians* choose to tax you heavily.If your tax policy was the same as ours your fuel would be at least as "cheap" as ours...if not cheaper.Same probably goes for Europe too.