cheap under car shield

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I would guess steel, with a reflective coating.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Some street signs are made of galvanized steel others are made out of aluminum. Correct me if I'm wrong here but isn't it against the law to possess a city street sign? I mean, I know LOTS of people who have them but.....

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Some street signs are made of galvanized steel others are made out of aluminum. Correct me if I'm wrong here but isn't it against the law to possess a city street sign? I mean, I know LOTS of people who have them but.....

Yup I believe it is illegal, but this guy gives new meaning to the term "hidden in plain sight". Now if he'd have put the painted side up...:)

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
Stop signs and such, make a nice splash-shield, not a skidplate. It can keep fluffy snow out, some leaves and water. You want a proper skidplate if you know you're going to be hitting stuff or want to actually protect your oil pan. It's more scene points if you use a sign. I have a thick aluminum skidplate under the sedan(lowered) and I love it. I've ran over unavoidable stuff in the road, fell in a hole once and didn't break anything. It's taken some speedbumps and steep driveways. A lot of stuff hit it that I am not aware of, since I'm not the only one driving it. My wagon(will also be lowered) has a steel skidplate and I would highly recommend getting ACTUAL skidplates. Yes, it's more money, but it's cheaper than ruining a motor.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
... You want a proper skidplate if you know you're going to be hitting stuff ...
If I know I'm going to hit stuff, I either choose a different route or cancel the trip! ;)

Seriously, yup, there's times when you just don't know what is going to be left behind by others as well as the usual unknowns. This time of year for me, the fenderbergs show up anytime there's snow falling.:eek: