Help Me Diagnose the P0299 Code - all symptoms solutions

98mkiv

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I have a 2004 Jetta TDI BEW. 192k miles.

so far:

Replaced normal maintenance stuff - oil filter/oil/air filter/fuel filter

The car drives fine then when I ask for power it will make plenty of power can even hear the turbo whine. Then intermittenly it will throw a CEL and when I pull the codes it only has P0299. I don't have vag com just an obd scanner so that is what I get.

If I do a freeze frame on the CEL at the time of the code, I get this: 39mph, 22PSIA.

I can get power back by shutting the motor off and restarting it - power comes back but the CEL is still lit. It will intermittently lose power again... same situation.

The car has PLENTY of power when it's not in this "limp" mode. When it is in limp, it cannot get out of its own way.

There couplers are all connected, though they are loose but secure. I don't think that these are the problem.... .when I wiggle the pipes at the couplers they wiggle but they are not weeping much oil (the IC piping has plenty of oil in it) so I don't think they are leaking enough air to make a difference.

I could really use some help...... l don't mind pulling the manifolds off, etc, but I would really like to get this fixed in one shot, if I can get some good direction on this I'll go there.