Why are there soooo many 06 Jetta TDI's FS?

914rrr

TDI
2012 JSW w/ DSG
As I've been looking for a used TDI w/auto trans for the wife, I can't help but notice that there seems to be a huge number of 06 Jetta TDI sedans for sale. Why is that? Dealer maintenance sticker shock? Inherent mechnical issues?

Paul7878

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta TDI
I don't own an 06, but the unwritten rule in my head is never buy the "first" of anything. I don't know of common problems, but the 06 was the first of the new style. Thats why I got my 03 ;) last year of the VE style pump!

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Many people trade shortly after they pay off the 3 or 4 year car loan.

Bill

EDIT to add, Just because many people do it, does not make it a good idea.... just a common occurrence.

Last edited:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Paul7878 said:
I don't own an 06, but the unwritten rule in my head is never buy the "first" of anything. I don't know of common problems, but the 06 was the first of the new style. Thats why I got my 03 ;) last year of the VE style pump!
Actually 06 was not the 1st year.........
the car came out in mid-year 05..........and it was already available in Europe.......

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
06 would be a good year for you if you are looking for an auto tranny. Stay away from 03 and older for the autos. You may run into cam issues though with the 04-06 models (give and take, the cam is cheaper then a tranny to replace).

spray pattern

TDI
none @the moment
Looking at a 04 sport wagen w/ auto trans. Any thing that I should be cautious of. You mentioned (and have read) about cam issues. How prevalent are the cam issues?
thanks for any info

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
914rrr said:
As I've been looking for a used TDI w/auto trans for the wife, I can't help but notice that there seems to be a huge number of 06 Jetta TDI sedans for sale. Why is that? Dealer maintenance sticker shock? Inherent mechnical issues?
It might only seem that there are a lot of 2006's out there simply because there were no 2007's and 2008's (TDI's, that is). And few people want to sell their 2009's just yet.

Bluepill

TDI
not yet...
Those 06's are coming up on timing belt changes.. sell it to someone who isn't aware and avoid the cost?

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
IIRC, more 06 Tdi were imported than 01-04's.

I will also guess those cars are just now getting paid for, and the owners want new stuff.

mz1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 GTD Stage III / 2015 Touareg TDI LUX Stage II
I am also curios to see that many 06 TDI's auto specially, yet compare with # of 05 and 04 and with the fact that economy is not that great, I still exceptic to believe people are changing or trading in cars that much since economy is not helping and we all know gas prices are on its yearly increasing trend.

I would blame it more on the timing belt/DSG maintenance price shoker.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Bluepill said:
Those 06's are coming up on timing belt changes.. sell it to someone who isn't aware and avoid the cost?

Bingo. This is why most used cars sell in the range of years/mileage they do: the average owner is surprised that they have to spend $1000 on a timing belt and just wants to switch to something newer.

vschaos

TDI
2010 TDI Golf - retired, Another soon
nicklockard said:
Bingo. This is why most used cars sell in the range of years/mileage they do: the average owner is surprised that they have to spend $1000 on a timing belt and just wants to switch to something newer.
Is it really $1000 or is that including labor? I ask because I too am shopping around and know of the timing belt along with the TB needs to be changed eventually as well. I have read some of the vw gurus do the changes for much cheaper then $1000 though is why I am asking.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Well it was not meant to be a precise figure, but that isn't far from what the 'Average Joe' will be quoted at a generic dealership.

I paid $912 for parts and labors for my first TB job at an independent shop. Then the second car needed one and I had Oldpoopie in Portland (a local Tdi Guru) do it for a lot less. But I think the newer cars might still cost more. Not sure.

carwasher

TDI
05 wagon 5 sp gls leather, slate blue
I believe a lot of 06 cars in general are coming off lease now as well- a lot of 06's are running through the auctions and making their way to used lots

kiva822

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
we've been casually looking at all the 06's for sale and considering that or an '05 passat sedan. We like the passat styling better, but there may be more 'bang for your buck' in the '06 jetta..

kiva

Hapexamendios

TDI
None ATM
40X40 said:
Many people trade shortly after they pay off the 3 or 4 year car loan.

Bill

EDIT to add, Just because many people do it, does not make it a good idea.... just a common occurrence.
This. Also, they want to upgrade to get that tax credit on a new car (TDI or Prius)

tekdummie

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
High maintenance costs( special oil, trans fluid($25 a qt-6 needed-every 20K), filters etc which most are dealer or online only), constant replacing of parts. Expensive fix even if you do the work. Special tools needed for most work. 126k on mine. Last 2 months...flywheel, drive axle, front bearing....needs a tranny(3K+). about $2500 in the last couple of months, the turbo is now making noise. Since I've owned it glow plug harness went out, timing belt change, trunk lock had to be replaced, fuel temp sensor, glow plug relay, glow plug harness, emer flash button pushed through dash.
I should have read on this site more, I would have bought another Toyota, 178k when I sold it, no problems ever, or a Honda. NEVER another VW.
I have a friend with an 06 manual and he's been ahead of the curve as his problems started before mine. All the same stuff.

914rrr said:

tekdummie

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
timing belt

vschaos said:
Is it really $1000 or is that including labor? I ask because I too am shopping around and know of the timing belt along with the TB needs to be changed eventually as well. I have read some of the vw gurus do the changes for much cheaper then $1000 though is why I am asking.
I did mine my self and with the tools and the "KIT" I think it was in the neighborhood of $550. Wasn't really that bad of a job, but after 26k since the belt change, the "new" alt serpentine belt from MEILE has already started to crack, I just hope the timing belt was of as high a quality as the original. Also the alt belt I took off after the 100k looked better than the new MEILE after 26k.

grayghost951

TDI
1996 Passat GLX
If you do it yourself, you should do your self a favor and use the money saved on labor to buy the best parts available. Cheap parts are just that. False value in buying cheap only to have to replace it sooner.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
mz1 said:
I am also curios to see that many 06 TDI's auto specially, yet compare with # of 05 and 04 and with the fact that economy is not that great, I still exceptic to believe people are changing or trading in cars that much since economy is not helping and we all know gas prices are on its yearly increasing trend.

I would blame it more on the timing belt/DSG maintenance price shoker.
I still don't get this. It ges 40 in town. My beetle gets 3-4mpg better and it's no where near the family car and has (after chip) 40HP less than the Jetta.

The Jetta TDI MkV is a very frugal car when it comes to fuel. Can we put that whole it's less efficient than the previous generation crap to rest now? Cause both of them go 700+ highway miles. But if the MkV runs out of fuel you can prime it with just a 5 gallon carboy and your car key. Your MkIV can't do that (stock), unless it's a 04-05 and even then I think it's questionable.

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
From a Dealer:
Most people keep a car 39 months on average. Sad to say this is also true for those who (although they may drive a TDI), still have a gasoline engine mentality).
Hence- a 3.5 year old car is right about the age when you start seeing them hit the market.
As far as needing repairs and Timing belts, and all that other gobbly gook that you'll see posted on this site.. naah.. they just get bored and want the new car smell. I see it every day.