A/C issues battery drain

touaregv10tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDi,2000 Beetle TDi, 2016 BMW X5 Diesel, 2004 Touareg V10 TDi,2015 Beetle TDi, 2005 Jetta TDi
A/C issues battery drain - FIXED!

Need your guidance on this one. This issue is driving me crazy. I finally fixed my radiator fans. My A/C was not working, the clutch was not engaging.
When researching why my battery was draining, I traced it to the A/C clutch. I replaced the A/C clutch, recharged they system, now my a/c works beautifully, clutch engages just fine.
The only problem, my battery still drains. If I unplug the connector for the clutch on top of the compressor, may battery stays charged. If I plug it back it drains it.
Any clues???:confused:

Last edited:

touaregv10tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDi,2000 Beetle TDi, 2016 BMW X5 Diesel, 2004 Touareg V10 TDi,2015 Beetle TDi, 2005 Jetta TDi
I ran a quick test today. The problem is that my compressor clutch is engaged all the time even when the A/C is turned off. Hence my battery is draining.
Just to be on a safe side, I bought a new Fan control module. It should arrive on Wednesday.
Does anybody have any hind or tips what this issue could be?
Thank you.

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
A/C clutch control does come out of the coolant fan controller and I have seen failures with them. If you have a new one coming anyway, plug it in and see. Otherwise the usual procedure is to confirm all inputs and outputs at the controller which is not that hard as there are only 14 wires total.

Let me know if you need a wiring diagram

touaregv10tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
This issue is now resolved. I replaced the Fan Control Module under the battery.
It was the cause of battery drainage.
Thank you for your input.