www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old May 22nd, 2018, 19:05   #271
audiq7tdi

TDI(s): audi

Thank you
audiq7tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2018, 05:04   #272
tdi4ty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty 5.0 View Post
Sorry to hear that. Donít get me wrong, I donít blame the techs. But take a look under the hood by the firewall near the turbo. They have the new wiring routed pretty close to the turbo and why I tidied up the wiring there. Thereís only so many places to anchor the new harnesses. I doubt they have much time to detail the way most of us enthusiasts would do things. I noted some of the high temp snap covers were ripped too. Iíll be deleting soon so not worried, but I accept that these modifications arenít vetted like the rest of a normal manufactured car would be. I love the car; itís a great distance daily and being a hard core Mustang enthusiast with some featured in magazines and advertisements, itís still a blast to drive.
Iíd recommend those getting this done to have some patience.
I did notice that the wiring was pretty close to the turbo, so that was issue 1. I went to start the car after work and the vehicle's accessories only turned on. Odd I thought, so I turned the car off and back on again, this time I had a Engine Malfunction and Check Coolant lights. I turned off again and tried a third time, still had the same lights on. Now we get to the real issue...The main issue, which at this point makes me laugh and cry at the same time is it appears they removed the coolant tank on the far left side of the engine bay. What they didn't do is correctly fit the coolant hose to the tank and not only that, but the bracket for the tank was broken, which it hasn't been before. That is what I was smelling, coolant was spraying all over the entire engine bay. The coolant tank was also cracked, which wasn't broken before P2. Needless to say, I am beyond pissed that the coolant tank was just floating around the engine bay. When I tried to start the car a third time, coolant just dropped to the concrete below me. Car was towed to the dealership (60 miles from my work) at their expensive after a few choice words about this experience. I might just be the only one without any luck, but dang, this just keeps on getting worse and worse. This might just be my last VW let alone TDI. The VW Regional Manager for NE US received a call last night, so I should expect to hear from them as well. I hope no one else has to go through this nightmare that I am going through. On the bright side, they gave me a loaner for the next 2 weeks while I am out of town, free of charge (2018 Focus Titanium, not my choice, but it works).
Old May 23rd, 2018, 08:09   #273
senez
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdi4ty View Post
I did notice that the wiring was pretty close to the turbo, so that was issue 1. I went to start the car after work and the vehicle's accessories only turned on. Odd I thought, so I turned the car off and back on again, this time I had a Engine Malfunction and Check Coolant lights. I turned off again and tried a third time, still had the same lights on. Now we get to the real issue...The main issue, which at this point makes me laugh and cry at the same time is it appears they removed the coolant tank on the far left side of the engine bay. What they didn't do is correctly fit the coolant hose to the tank and not only that, but the bracket for the tank was broken, which it hasn't been before. That is what I was smelling, coolant was spraying all over the entire engine bay. The coolant tank was also cracked, which wasn't broken before P2. Needless to say, I am beyond pissed that the coolant tank was just floating around the engine bay. When I tried to start the car a third time, coolant just dropped to the concrete below me. Car was towed to the dealership (60 miles from my work) at their expensive after a few choice words about this experience. I might just be the only one without any luck, but dang, this just keeps on getting worse and worse. This might just be my last VW let alone TDI. The VW Regional Manager for NE US received a call last night, so I should expect to hear from them as well. I hope no one else has to go through this nightmare that I am going through. On the bright side, they gave me a loaner for the next 2 weeks while I am out of town, free of charge (2018 Focus Titanium, not my choice, but it works).
Boy, that's unfortunate.

I was told upon pickup of my Passat after phase 2 that they had to replace a coolant hose that developed a pinhole leak. I haven't had any of the other issues, but the car does smell like it's been sitting in a shop for more than a week. It's been almost a week since and it's just as strong as the day I picked it up. Maybe it'll go away.

2015 Passat SEL DSG -
Black on Tan
senez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2018, 08:40   #274
sohccammer427
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ?~45~?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdi4ty View Post
Yikes! Our Passat is my wife's daily driver. It appears that there is a lot of "stuff" that has to be removed for this procedure. Check out the work order in Nuty 5.0 photo album linked a few posts back. No wonder a nine hour fix time was quoted.
Us "enthusiasts" would be well advised to inspect the work performed, the best we can, when we get our cars back. A loose part or a poorly routed harness may be caught before it causes havoc.

Last edited by sohccammer427; May 23rd, 2018 at 08:43. Reason: spell
sohccammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2018, 08:46   #275
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

Glad I’m in no hurry to get this done; never want to be the guinea pig.

Blue_Hen_TDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2018, 09:29   #276
Nutty 5.0
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear your experience tdi4ty. Just hoping they make all the wrongs right on hopefully your last visit! My dealer seemed to be concerned that I gave a good review on their survey but it came from the dealer not necessarily VW. I do worry that techs working on them don't really care much and have the "well (at least some) are getting some cash so I don't care" attitude.

It would be great if someone had what VW is referring to as their "circular" or whatever the actually full steps are. I'd like to review each part as there's bunch things played with: Subframe dropped, wiring, exhaust, coolant and hoses, etc. I'd like to think most of us here would too.
It's Toretto, Brian. It always has been Toretto. Babies and picture size! Wahhhhhh!!!!!! I actually work on cars and in technology. If you canít handle large pictures, you need to grow up. Contact me if you would like to have automotive work done. I have lifts in my home garage and do side work. PM for details.
Nutty 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2018, 10:16   #277
sohccammer427
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ?~45~?

Here are the steps that I read on the work order from one of our members here:
23YA- 2.0TDI Engine Gen 3 phase 2 A&B Emissions mod criteria 01
1. Drain coolant
2. Remove battery
3. Remove battery tray
4. Remove Air box
5. Route adapter wiring harness
6. Remove splash guard and modify exhaust according to circular
7. Remove driver side underbody panel & install new NOX sensor ctrl unit
8. Remove sub frame w/ steering rack to gain access to DPF
9. Remove DPF and install new DPF
10. The rest refers to software re programming
I'm not sure how inclusive this, but it may be at a minimum what they will do.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 11:15   #278
bizzle
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohccammer427 View Post
.Us "enthusiasts" would be well advised to inspect the work performed, the best we can, when we get our cars back. A loose part or a poorly routed harness may be caught before it causes havoc.
Sounds like we should also be inspecting and documenting the vehicle *before* the work is performed.
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2018, 12:47   #279
tdi4ty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty 5.0 View Post
Sorry to hear your experience tdi4ty. Just hoping they make all the wrongs right on hopefully your last visit! My dealer seemed to be concerned that I gave a good review on their survey but it came from the dealer not necessarily VW. I do worry that techs working on them don't really care much and have the "well (at least some) are getting some cash so I don't care" attitude.

It would be great if someone had what VW is referring to as their "circular" or whatever the actually full steps are. I'd like to review each part as there's bunch things played with: Subframe dropped, wiring, exhaust, coolant and hoses, etc. I'd like to think most of us here would too.
I agree with that. The dealership has yet to make things right (besides the first mishap) and I am still concerned that after the fix, something else is going to go wrong still. I did receive word from the Service Dept. that as mentioned the coolant tank and hoses were to blame (anyone really could have told me that). It will be ready in 3 days, but I won't be picking it up anytime soon. Funny you mention a survey, my dealer doesn't do any of that after service, but it would be nice if they did.

Have been in the works with VW NA's Manager for the MidWest region on what to do with the car, since it seems to leave me in a consistent rut. I am also becoming increasingly tired of having it towed and repaired often. I wish I could enjoy the car as much as you guys have been.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 19:48   #280
ddorrer
Veteran Member
Default UPDATE: Phase 2

So as I previously stated, my Phase 2 experience was good albeit a 8 day repair. VW paid my balance immediatley; direct-deposit. 4 weeks later I would like to report an increase of at least 5 mpg! Yes, I said increase. Most of my daily driving is Interstate roads at speeds 70-80 mph. Prior to Phase 1, my best mpg was 55, averaging 47-50 mpg. Post Phase 1 it dropped to 40-43 mpg; sometimes in the 30s, ugh. Post Phase 2 its back up to 47-50 mpg. No cross-country treks on off-road diesel yet but I will post my mpg soon.

ddorrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2018, 05:19   #281
roni024
Veteran Member

Thanks for the efficiency update. My 2015 Passat, which I bought with Phase I already preformed, is also 40-43. It's good to know there may be an improvement coming with Phase II.
roni024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2018, 08:58   #282
jonferns
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '15 Golf

I've averaged 45.4 mpg over the past 8500 miles on phase 1. I'm curious to see if that will improve with phase 2, when I finally decide to go in for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'06 Jetta TDI - 215k, DSG
jonferns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:05   #283
soldierguy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixmy59bug View Post
I was going to postpone a little bit and milk the warranty.

Of course, there is some disagreement about how/if that would work at all.

I was also considering getting it done soon anyways because some are reporting less frequent regenerations and better fuel economy.

I just dont like being forced to do something.

But atleast for a loaner I got a 2018 TSI Passat with Kessy and 23 miles on the ticker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Hen_TDI View Post
That right there could entice me to get in sooner rather than later. What distances are people reporting between regens after P2?

My car regens like clockwork every 240 miles for about 11-12 minutes (monitored by SG2). Every regen, I lose about 30 miles until empty on my range indicator, and I average three regens per tank, so I'm losing close to 100 miles of range per tank in regens.
I'm very interested in the regen piece as well. I drive pretty much all highway for my commute, and I'll typically get regens between 230-260 miles. I also monitor regens by a ScanGauge II, with the distance measured from the start of regen until the start of the next regen).

Others have mentioned an increase in fuel economy and shift points a little higher...both of those are good things.

I just had the 30K service done yesterday, and the service manager at the dealership I go to said he didn't have the Phase 2 parts yet. I think I'll get mine done sometime between 50-90K, which for me will mean 4-13 months from now. I might do it sooner rather than later if people start reporting consistently increased distances between regens, consistent reporting on better shifting (i.e. upshifting later in Drive), and consistent reports of better mpg.
Old Yesterday, 10:00   #284
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post
I might do it sooner rather than later if people start reporting consistently increased distances between regens, consistent reporting on better shifting (i.e. upshifting later in Drive), and consistent reports of better mpg.
Same here.

I'm a bit leery of early anecdotes, especially this time of year when mileage naturally increases anyway with warmer temps, warmer tires, and warm-weather fuel.

I can almost guarantee that if Phase 2 had been introduced in autumn we'd have seen unfounded reports of the fix killing mpgs.

But if it's really increasing distance between regens, that alone is a win.

Blue_Hen_TDI is online now   Reply With Quote