Age of battery on GSW

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI, 2011 JSW TDI & 2018 Atlas 2.0T S
Is there a way to tell how old my battery is? It is a VW battery that came with my new GSW that I purchased last April with about 200 miles. I currently have about 14k miles on it.

I don’t see any sticker or production date on the top of the battery.

Thanks

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Should be somewhere, you may have to take the battery out.

Also how dirty our engine bay was on our NOS Passat, it was very evident they had changed out the battery which they weren't going to do until I demanded it.

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
Is there a way to tell how old my battery is? It is a VW battery that came with my new GSW that I purchased last April with about 200 miles. I currently have about 14k miles on it.

I don’t see any sticker or production date on the top of the battery.

Thanks

I took a better look at the battery today and noticed there was something stamped on the top. I’ve attached a picture where it is stamped “2115” near the negative battery terminal.

Does that indicate it is from 2015?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
If you google the website of whoever built the battery there may be info on how they specifically code the date of manufacture on their batteries... in the absence of that the 21st week of 2015 might be a reasonable guess. :)

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
Just checked my battery and it has 4114 stamped on it, 41st week of 2014 would be a week in October. My Golf was manufactured in 10/14, so the stamped date makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Yes that is the code. Weeks and year. You will find that same code on many parts if you look. It is a good way to tell if the suspected part is original or not.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
From the reading ive done those batteries are about at full life expectancy. New VW batteries are averaging 4 years. On a positive note. Sam's club now sells Deka batteries also in the TDI form. Ill be upsizing mine before next winter with a deka froma Sam's.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
My 2015 car has the original battery... going on 50k..
No signs of age...
But I do keep it on a tender when I leave(for work) for more than a week...that's about 50% of the time.

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
My original battery was showing signs that it was starting to fail (longer than normal crank times) and that was the reason for me starting the post. I don’t really know if the battery was neglected for 2 years before it was sold to me by the dealer but when I changed out the battery yesterday, it started up immediately.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Most of these cars sat for what a year in a large parking lot with dead batteries? Thatll shorten any batteries life.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Bear in mind the 2015 batteries are "smaller" than the 09-14 batteries.

Also dealers will try and pawn off as cheap of flips as they can, they wanted us to pay MSRP for the car with a 3 year old battery and then acted like they bent over backwards to get a new battery for us. Even though they could have done right the first time and charged VWoA.