Starting to get worried - buyback

spritz80

TDI
Golf TDI 2011
I followed this forum here and there but never posted before. I bought a Golf TDI 2011 in June 2016 (just after the settlement). The title was clear and remained such through my ownership (she has been my daily driver). I waited until early this month to start the buyback process.
After I uploaded the required documents VW replied asking for "proof of acquisition", at the beginning I thought cause Texas Title doesn't show a "purchase/acquisition date" on the title and they had to fill that value somehow. I thought the dealer gave me a bill of sale, but what I thought to be is instead a purchase agreement with zero balance due. I uploaded this document about a week ago in the system.
This morning I got a bit suspicious and bought a carfax on my TDI. There a few strange facts about it:
on the date the title is transferred to me it says:
- "title issued or updated / Duplicate title issued / vehicle color noted as Black". (duplicate title doens't appear anywhere before in the report)
Why duplicate title? My title is the original (it doesn't say copy), shouldn't carfax also say "vehicle repossessed" or "new owner"?
The dealer was a bit sketchy and it has been changing name several times so I guess I wont' be able to get a bill of sale from him.
I hope I don't get stuck in the buyback process. What do you think?

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I hope I don't get stuck in the buyback process. What do you think?
I think you should just get the fix and drive the car as was your original intention when you bought it. Or was your original intention to make money on it?

chief poncho

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
You should be ok. If they don't accept the sales agreement as proof of acquisition, the carfax as well as the original registration should work. I don't think you should really have any problems as long as the car has always had a clean title. Sometimes dealerships get duplicate titles because they didn't get the original with the trade or sale, but have power of attorney to transfer into their name and issue a new title.

As far as fixing and keeping it. That's a personal preference. I think you come out better selling it back and buying a "new" used TDI, rather than getting the fix, especially since the market is getting flooded with a lot of nice used low mileage examples for great prices.

spritz80

TDI
Golf TDI 2011
I think you should just get the fix and drive the car as was your original intention when you bought it. Or was your original intention to make money on it?
To be fully honest I owned two Golf TDIs when I was back in Europe and wanted a TDI here too, I found this car in mid June 2016 not knowing all the details of the scandal and ended up putting deposit few days before settlement and finalizing the deal few days later. One of the reason I don't do the fix is cause DPF is bad since 20k miles ago.

spritz80

TDI
Golf TDI 2011
I have been having P0401 code plus sooty tailpipe. I took it to the dealership and they confirmed DPF (3700$ quote). I ignored it and kept driving.
I would assume they will not apply the fix with the DPF issue pre-existing and considering also that with a similar if not better cashfow I could get a low mileage 2015 I think it becomes a no brainer.