TDI fest 2019-2020

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Facebook groups are plenty active, but the format leaves a lot to be desired as far as organizing and finding information.

But the ease of access and active notifications on your mobile device makes it far too easy to stay connected to that format and that seems to help keep those more active.

I was made a moderator on one of those pages and help add dozens of people a day to the group. 28,000 and counting more and more rapidly in recent weeks.

But, I don't see any sort of GTG organizing from that chaos.

Some kind of GTG in Colorado is a great idea by rotary kid. It's the middle of the country, it's a long drive for us coastal dwellers, but it's worth it. A drive through parts of the Rockies is definitely a great experience. Some of the most scenic bits of our country you'll ever come across. And you want to see what elevation does to your cars performance? Just drive across the state on I-70. You'll eventually top 11,000 feet.

vwxyzero

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan, '96 TDI Passat Wagon, & Jetta Sedan, '83 Turbodiesel (IDI)
Some kind of GTG in Colorado is a great idea by rotary kid. It's the middle of the country, it's a long drive for us coastal dwellers, but it's worth it. A drive through parts of the Rockies is definitely a great experience. Some of the most scenic bits of our country you'll ever come across. And you want to see what elevation does to your cars performance? Just drive across the state on I-70. You'll eventually top 11,000 feet.
I'm in if somebody else organizes it! My Turbo IDI needs a road trip!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

vwxyzero

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan, '96 TDI Passat Wagon, & Jetta Sedan, '83 Turbodiesel (IDI)
Actually Hamlet.:)
Often misquoted as: "Therein lies the rub".

Have Fun!

Don
“To die, to sleep

To sleep perchance to dream:

Ay, there’s the rub.

For in that sleep of death what dreams may come”

Admittedly I had to look it up, but it's sadly a good analogy for the obstacles facing GTGs referenced by the quote from the master of tragic comedy. Thanks for the touch of cultural to rule the day. :)

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I've even noticed quite the slow down on Vortex. The MK2 Parts For Sale section was daily chaos a decade ago; even 5 years ago, great parts would be gone in hours. Now it seems like the posts trickle in, and good parts can sit around for a while.
And, that is why we need to welcome Newbies with wide-open arms. There are a few members that go off the deep end with condescending responses to questions from Newbies.

I'm more of a lurker now than in the past. But, I do try to help when I think my contribution will be a positive experience for a Newbie. Newbies need to feel welcome, if so, they'll hopefully be contributors in a positive way.

Notice my signature......... changed it several months ago because of my observations relative to Newbies and noticing the lack of overall activity.

imbrian

TDI
03 jetta wagon
hi. imbrian, newbie but oldie?

screw facebook, this place is more than sufficient. i wouldnt own my wagon, or have picked up a golf parts car from the woodline if it werent for this(and others) forum. i saw the light last winter, in regards to cars/autos/trans.......bought my wagon from a bud for a couple/few hundo three years ago solely as a backup to my subaru. now the subaru enjoys its rusty last days before partout while the wag is rising like the pheonix. sits at 202k and she's ready for couple more.

im in vermont, the vw/tdi/mk4 activity is very strong up here. not as in organized, but as in the activity on craigslist, salvage yards, etc is good. if you watch theres good stuff, great deals all the time. this includes all of new england, there's a mk4 partout enthusiast around concordNH that makes me want to get a couple more wagons just to get 'em back up on the road, i can get great parts from 3-5 salvage/parters .....mk4 rocks the casbah.

im up for colorado i suppose...be a long drive as i would probably not be able to command/force myself to drive thru the midwest......maybe go thru canada?.....ontario, saskatch?......or down 95 across then up? originally from indy and dont care for the endless cornfields ;)

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Now 3 years since the last TDI Fest in Sturgeon Bay Wisconsin these were such a great time! Really miss my Friends! And sadly I guess those days are over I made all but the 2 that were held out west! Peter v Storey and Jonathon Bartlett and of course Fred made them all.....
To all my old TDI Club friends, and to Tomo, too ;) : I wanted to let you know that I've been thinking of you this, and every, Labo(u)r Day weekend.
I don't get on to Fred's often now as my TDI owning days have passed, and might not be renewed, but I do hold a fondness for all the times we spent together, whether at official fests, impromptu GTG, regional events, or just out for an ice cream.
I'm am continuing to take the Labor Day week off from work for a vacation just to maintain the practice of work understanding my priorities, just in case there is a fest revival.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
To all my old TDI Club friends, and to Tomo, too ;) : I wanted to let you know that I've been thinking of you this, and every, Labo(u)r Day weekend.
I don't get on to Fred's often now as my TDI owning days have passed, and might not be renewed, but I do hold a fondness for all the times we spent together, whether at official fests, impromptu GTG, regional events, or just out for an ice cream.
I'm am continuing to take the Labor Day week off from work for a vacation just to maintain the practice of work understanding my priorities, just in case there is a fest revival.
Thanks Jon I miss all of you guys and Gals! You were one of the 1st TDI folks I ever met! And will always be a great friend!

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
I also echo the words of Lug_Nut. I was just imagining the drive home from previous fests with great and fond memories of All the TDIers we have met over 19 years and all the fests. Tred to date is the only TDI that has been to every fest. Sadly this TDI may be no longer a member of the HO5G. We shall see what the future does bring. Hamsterdiesel still has her '15 Passat TDI.
To Tomo what a great ride we have had Gtgs, fests and even a wedding. Time seems to change events although the heart is willing I as with a lot of you am slowing down.

And to Fred THANK YOU it is not easy to herd a flock of Diesel drivers.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
3 Bug Pwr winners right here! I now drive a BMW 328D X Drive Sedan in (Silver) imagine that me driving a non Red Car........Wife drives my Multiple Award winning Jetta!

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
It still feels weird to be home on a Labour Day weekend. I do miss discovering different parts of Canada and the US along with meeting up with all those great TDIClub friends. Just remember that those of you currently with a TDI you guys are still part of TDIClub. Just look how long it took me to finally get one all those years ago! :)

Thanks for the support of TDIClub everyone!

JettaJack

TDI
04 & 06 Jettas, 15 Sportwagen
How about a repeat, with a twist?

How about one in VWs (hq) backyard? It wasn’t here in 2009, but we were.

VOA, with their relocation to Herndon, have a building (no doubt with conference rooms), and a multistory parking garage that could provide show space or parking space.

We could show them from our grass roots perspective that there is still a strong diesel community out there still.

The last one in this area back in 09 was fairly well attended, wasn’t it? Their HQ is a stone’s throw from Dulles airport, if that matters, which means there are a bunch of hotels in the area as well as restaurants.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Have you read any of the Posts in this Thread? We used to have a very active group in the area......no longer most have moved on and don’t even have TDI’s anymore......the guys who planned that one Drive Electric now.......we can’t even get 3 guys together for lunch these days so off hand I believe you have 2 chance Slim and None......Good Luck this is coming from a guy who has attended all but 2 Fests .......

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
How about one in VWs (hq) backyard? It wasn’t here in 2009, but we were.

VOA, with their relocation to Herndon, have a building (no doubt with conference rooms), and a multistory parking garage that could provide show space or parking space.

We could show them from our grass roots perspective that there is still a strong diesel community out there still.

The last one in this area back in 09 was fairly well attended, wasn’t it? Their HQ is a stone’s throw from Dulles airport, if that matters, which means there are a bunch of hotels in the area as well as restaurants.

If you want one, offer to do the work, and you might get a few hints and a push to get started.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
I'm going to see a few people at the West MI GTG this weekend. I'll see if we can brainstorm a few ideas.

Considering the time and work it takes to organize a full on TDIFest, and that the same people who did all the work year after year got burned out, I was thinking on how to avoid that. What I have in mind is a scaled down TDIFest, a TDIFest-light so to speak. This would be more of an informal weekend GTG, with a national invite instead of local. Events would have to be scalable depending on attendance. This means that instead of vendors bringing lots of inventory and have booths, they might just offer fest weekend discount codes and only take online orders. No formal banquet. Car show? Sure, but it would be more of a 'cars & coffee' type event. No formal judging or trophies and expect to put some money in a donation jar.

Because TDIFest is a fundraiser, there would be active solicitations and the expectation that attendees would make donations in some amount. The details of that would have to be worked out. Maybe a simple admission fee would be work.

All input is welcome. I'll have a much better idea of how this 'TDIFest-light' might work after this weekend after I talk to some long time fest organizers.

:)

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
I say sounds like a fantastic idea, more like a basic car meet type of thing. Good part about that is it would not be hard to host, just need a location and an open parking lot.

richieracket

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI , DSG
Im in

Hi Guys,
I'm one of the people that lived on this site for years and now I lurk occasionally.
Off topic, I'm so sorry Chris passed. I was unaware. I purchased two TDIs from him and the experience was the easiest, friendliest car buying experience EVER! Not to mention the pretzels! RIP Chris
Like others here, I would love to participate in a Northest Fest if possible. and like others, I will fail in the organization process. But I can tell you this site accounted for all my evenings years ago and provided me with more information than my head could handle.
Indigo Blue....comon man!! you can do it!!!! lol

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Now 3 years since the last TDI Fest in Sturgeon Bay Wisconsin...
At the time I would have never thought that I was attending the last TDI Fest in 2016. My wife and I are headed back to Sturgeon Bay for the GTG on Oct 19.

All these years when we were riding together and I saw a TDI on the road, I would give the wifey a soft TDI punch and I said "TDI" and then pointed to it. Sorta like a punch-bug thing. Let's just say, my wife's "TDI bruise" is now gone since we hardly ever see TDIs on the road anymore where we live, that is, besides mine.

Um, totally kidding. No wife bruising has ever occurred in our marriage. :eek:

Last edited:

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Brian, I wish I had a bit of free time at Kirk's to discuss...I was in the garage, riding an impact gun removing the beam axle bushings on my son's car. While I don't have the avocado-sized doo-dads to try a timing belt at a GTG, the bushings were fun enough.
cheers,
Douglas

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Brian and I did have a chance to talk, and I like his ideas. I'm betting we can get Fred on board and if it happens, I'll be there for sure.