TDI timing belt/chain

Doc

Veteran Member
Timing belt/chain

Thanks. I made a decision in 2015 to buy the Golf SW TSI as it had a timing chain, as my '03 Jetta wagon had its belt changed with the water pump, costing $1000. But I miss the TDI and began thinking about a low mile 2015 TDI. But may as well forget it.

Satsonic

TDI
2006 Jetta TDi (BRM) - DSG Trans (02E)
I do the belt every 100k, every thing has its trade offs. I personally prefer the TDi over the gassers, but to each their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Thanks. I made a decision in 2015 to buy the Golf SW TSI as it had a timing chain, as my '03 Jetta wagon had its belt changed with the water pump, costing $1000. But I miss the TDI and began thinking about a low mile 2015 TDI. But may as well forget it.
ask gm DI 3.6 owners about how nice their timing chains are
same with all sorts of fords and VAG motors

I mean, one is designed to be easily replaced every 100k, the other tends to wear out around 150k and is a pain in the patoot to do in comparison

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You really hate that .01 cent a mile it costs to do that every 100k miles? Have you explored the cost of timing chain replacement? They have parts that wear as well.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The 2L tdi timing belt interval has been 130k miles since '11. Not a big deal, chains wear out too.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
The real concern should be any and all of the components that are in the path of the TB. TBs are tough and will last a very long time, both miles and age. I've seen numerous TBs way beyond 120k miles.... all the way up to 150k. Seems a friend of mine has 170k on the OE TB. She has a 2001 Jetta Automatic....... sure, it is on death row.

1.4TDI PD

TDI
2.5TDI V6, 3.3TDI V8,3.0TDI V6,1.9TDI PD100
The timing belt is much quieter then a timing chain and vw also has problems with timing chains becuase over time they extend and you need to replace them which usually requires much more work and money then a timing belt change. if you don"t change the timing chain then your timing won"t be correct anymore if you wait too long they even snap and cause catastrophical engine damage.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
From a bunch of people who know... I hope you are listening. The timing chain is not the only issue with the TSI. I'd go hunting around the net for more information before biting the bullet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIyxT3r5Ps8

Take it from one humble mechanic about another.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....

I literally spit my drink out on the keyboard laughing at this. :p

Price the water pump housing on that TSI engine, parts and labor.... LMAO...

You'll get sick of the repairs on that thing before the chain blows up. THEN the chain will blow up. ROTFLMAO!!!!! :p

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
intake flap issues galore and I've only seen 4 or 5 of them in the shop so far

elcid86

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
I got this unsolicited recommendation/quote from my local stealer-ship for timing belt and water pump today. $1400!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
And, I'd do it for half that price and you'd know it was done right!

Those "kits" need to be itemized or you have no clue what you're getting.

Didn't know there's a "pipe" needed when doing a TB job.. Hmmm.

Find a guru..

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
Andy - that pipe is part of the emissions fix for his 2015, not part of the timing belt parts ;)

I agree on not having the dealer do the timing belt and finding a respected TDI mechanic do it.

elcid86

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
Andy - that pipe is part of the emissions fix for his 2015, not part of the timing belt parts ;)

I agree on not having the dealer do the timing belt and finding a respected TDI mechanic do it.

Yep, that’s the receipt from phase 2 recall work with recommendation and price (very round number) on the WP/TB.
I’ve reached out to Tom (ninedee_golf_tdi) here in my area and I hope he’ll have me!

Mekiter

TDI
2015 MK7 S 6SM
Local Dealership gave me a price of $700 for parts and labor. I'm getting close now @ 118000 and will need it done this spring. Looking at parts and tooling to do myself is over $800. Having the dealership do it and "IF" there are any engine after change out I'll have a leg to stand on for VW warranty. My 2 anyway

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
low estimate usually means just slipping a new belt on all the old junk, no coolant change, no water pump, no tensioner, no timing adjustment, no cam and crank seals

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Local Dealership gave me a price of $700 for parts and labor. I'm getting close now @ 118000 and will need it done this spring. Looking at parts and tooling to do myself is over $800. Having the dealership do it and "IF" there are any engine after change out I'll have a leg to stand on for VW warranty. My 2 anyway
You should be able to get a complete high quality kit and tools for $500 or less. If you don't already have some basic tools like sockets and ratchet & wrenches, this might not be job you should tackle by yourself.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
...this might not be job you should tackle by yourself.
^^^ This. Unless one is really comfortable tackling big jobs (and I consider TBs to be a big job), I'd rather pay a pro to do it right instead of risking huge potential damage down the road later.

As often as TBs need replacing, I'd advise having a guru do it. Save yourself the hassle and enjoy peace of mind. Heck, maybe they'll even let you watch. That way you get a sense of all that's involved and you'll appreciate the expertise a real TDI guru truly has.

elcid86

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
You should be able to get a complete high quality kit and tools for $500 or less. If you don't already have some basic tools like sockets and ratchet & wrenches, this might not be job you should tackle by yourself.

The few shops I’ve spoke with say there are special tools needed for this and no parts kits that they know of. Quotes have been similar to the dealer of $1400-1600 :-(

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Well that's nuts, ID has kits for $370. And a shop shouldn't be charging you for tools. That's why they have hourly rates of $100 or more.
Best talk to a few more shops, find someone with actual positive experience working on TDIs.

elcid86

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
Any thoughts on having the dealer do it since VWUSA has now so graciously extended the warranty on the car...? I can foresee them giving me grief if in fact there are engine problems later and they didn't do the WP/TB job. Then I'm playing man-in-the-middle with the shop and VWofA? Just thinking out loud.