Unable to unlock driver's side door

09jettaloyale

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Passat SE DSG, 2001 F-250 PSD
Now that the cold weather is back, the other day my 2013 SEL was outside over night. It was below freezing. Touch the door handle and nothing happens. Try it again still nothing. Hit the unlock button on key fob. All doors unlock besides drivers door. Open passenger side front door hit unlock. Still nothing. Crawl over passenger seat try to open door. Still won't open. Had to pop off the handle lock cover on the outside and put key in and it finally unlocked. It has happened a couple more times. What could be wrong. It works no problem above freezing. Moisture? I'm out of warranty.

PaulB

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE M6
It happened to me once or twice. I just climb in through the passenger door when it does. Nothing to get concerned about if you ask me. But then I don't live in a very cold place either.

PassatSE4me

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
Has happened to several of us. The actuator allows liquid in and it freezes. They updated the part. There was a TSB issued, TT-57-14-01 I believe. You may get them to goodwill it since it was a known issue. Doesn't hurt to try.

Driver door won't open.

tc1uscg

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD TO VW
It happened to me once or twice. I just climb in through the passenger door when it does. Nothing to get concerned about if you ask me. But then I don't live in a very cold place either.

Wow, for a minute, I thought you were serious. :confused:

tc1uscg

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD TO VW
Has happened to several of us. The actuator allows liquid in and it freezes. They updated the part. There was a TSB issued, TT-57-14-01 I believe. You may get them to goodwill it since it was a known issue. Doesn't hurt to try.

Driver door won't open.

I've been driving the car since 2013 (when I bought it). In some really crappy weather. Never once did it freeze. This year, drove in a pretty nasty wet snow storm for hours. That night, got down into the 20's. Couldn't open the door much less unlock it. Oh, it was unlocking, just couldn't open it. Crawled in from the passenger side. Not sure why it didn't freeze too but whatever. Warmed up the next few days but about 4 days later, got back below freezing and after a light rain. Son was leaving for school, could not open the door. I was able to get it open buy pulling the inside handle firmly but slowly. Could hear the ice crunching. WTH VW? :mad: Doesn't it FREEZE in Germany? How about bringing some of those Passat up here to the north and let us "beta" test'em. If something is going to freeze, if something is going to fall off the car or if they are going to hold up, a few weeks up here in Michigan will find out. :cool: But seriously. This should be another recall, what, is that number 8 or something? If I was driving from the south in the rain, hit freezing weather and the darn thing froze, I might not be able to get it out without rolling the window down. :rolleyes: Hmm, that's an idea. Just program the system to roll down the windows when I remote start it. Glad I came here and seen the TSB. I'm taking it in next week and ask them to fix it. ;)

For the Passat, the TSB's are: TB-57-14-03 and 01. http://www.vwproblems.com/tsbs/Passat/2013/

Last edited:

Fav40

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL (BB 2/17/17) 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
I had my Passenger side freeze last November. Dealer replaced and installed the covers to both doors. Had 20k+/- at the time.

First winter had colder temps, lots of snow, sleet and freezing rain, but never a freeze up. It's cheap insurance. Get the gaurds

jevs

TDI
2013 Passat SEL DSG
I've been driving the car since 2013 (when I bought it). In some really crappy weather. Never once did it freeze. This year, drove in a pretty nasty wet snow storm for hours. That night, got down into the 20's. Couldn't open the door much less unlock it. Oh, it was unlocking, just couldn't open it. Crawled in from the passenger side. Not sure why it didn't freeze too but whatever. Warmed up the next few days but about 4 days later, got back below freezing and after a light rain. Son was leaving for school, could not open the door. I was able to get it open buy pulling the inside handle firmly but slowly. Could hear the ice crunching. WTH VW? :mad: Doesn't it FREEZE in Germany? How about bringing some of those Passat up here to the north and let us "beta" test'em. If something is going to freeze, if something is going to fall off the car or if they are going to hold up, a few weeks up here in Michigan will find out. :cool: But seriously. This should be another recall, what, is that number 8 or something? If I was driving from the south in the rain, hit freezing weather and the darn thing froze, I might not be able to get it out without rolling the window down. :rolleyes: Hmm, that's an idea. Just program the system to roll down the windows when I remote start it. Glad I came here and seen the TSB. I'm taking it in next week and ask them to fix it. ;)

For the Passat, the TSB's are: TB-57-14-03 and 01. http://www.vwproblems.com/tsbs/Passat/2013/
This tells us nothing. Where is the actual TSB so I can see what parts to order. I have been locked out my car 3 times this week in the morning. It is getting really old. I already wasted a couple hours looking around on the net and I can not find the actual TSB to get parts ordered.

jevs

TDI
2013 Passat SEL DSG
Never found the actual TSB, but after much wasted time figuring out what parts where right (I think), 5K1837015E and 5K0837349B.
I ordered this.
https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.5/Exterior/Body/Door/Latch/Front/ES2855845/

This has the latch/actuator and the cover. From what I can tell this is the latest revision of parts. I assume it will be self explanatory how they go together. I assume my car will not have the cover.

I had to call and verify the parts in the kit because they don't list the individual part numbers in the kit, but it is much cheaper as the kit. They list the lock actuator and the cover separate and say they are for the B7 Passat, but this kit does not. They confirmed on the phone that it is the same parts.

Last edited:

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
This tells us nothing. Where is the actual TSB so I can see what parts to order. I have been locked out my car 3 times this week in the morning. It is getting really old. I already wasted a couple hours looking around on the net and I can not find the actual TSB to get parts ordered.
The link I provided (post #2) has the VW part number for the driver's side - they carry the passenger as well. I actually bought mine on ebay from a VW dealer because the shipping was free.

jevs

TDI
2013 Passat SEL DSG
Thanks, the confusing part is that multiple sites list different part numbers for the actuator. Also many listings have the right part, but do not say they are for the Passat too. Hopefully what I ordered will take car of the issue for good.
It would be nice if there was a way to see actual TSB's online and not just a reference that they exist.