New 2015 Golf Sportwagon delivered

spicy_red

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI, highline, 6MT, multimedia, plat grey metallic
Well, here it is...

More pics in album @ http://pics.tdiclub.com/showgallery.php?cat=6326

It's a Highline, TDI, 6MT, multimedia package, platinum grey metallic.
Had the dealer take care of the 3M full protection (hood, fenders, lights, mirrors, above windshield, rear cargo area etc...) and the tinting (20% all rears and 70% fronts). The mud flaps did not arrive so they will be installed next week. Broke down and got a remote start even though I do not believe in idling vehicles, especially FT4 emissions. But at least it will give the oil a stir when it's -40*C here and it helps re-sale with your average person.

Big smile on the way home, should have taken a longer route back. Now DW has stolen it and took off for a drive.

Only knock I have against it now is there is no homelink button!?!?!?

It is nice being back in a TDI and VW. Cheers.

Last edited:

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
Very nice spicy! Mine will be very similar short of the wheels. Yeah no Homelink is a bummer. Congrats and enjoy!!!

GTISMKR

TDI
2014 JSW
Interior pics, please. Also, how much larger does the cargo area and the interior space overall seem? My wife has a MkVI Jetta and I'm imagining it being similar to a wagon version of that. Her car definitely seems much larger, roomier and stiffer than my JSW.

copperbeech

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI MT Sportwagon.
Just wondering 'spicey' if you noted the inclusion of the engine block heater plug and corresponding electrical cord? (It is part of our Canadian package and might be useful given your location).

doctorkb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
I got mine on Monday. Unfortunately, it was filthy by the time I got it home, so I don't have any good photos yet.

We didn't get remote start (I don't believe they're suitable for MT cars), nor 3M "protection" (I've seen it look like a$$ on too many vehicles).

We did get tint, and it really completes the car's look.

Go Auto also offers a "Gold Go Card" which covers monthly visits (and repairs) for scratches to 6", dings to 4" and upholstery tears/damage to 2", as well as Diamon-Fusion treatment (and free repairs/replacement if chips/cracks occur). We got that -- mostly for the appearance and glass "insurance" equivalent. :)

We also got what they call the "Alberta Package" - includes rubber floor mats, cargo area mat and mud flaps. All except the cargo area mat were available and installed at delivery.

workcar

TDI
2003 JSW 5-speed, Custom 2" reciever
Can we get lots of pics of the cargo area and the storage that is or is not under the floor. Spare tire shots. Seats folded down??? That would make me happy.

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
Can we get lots of pics of the cargo area and the storage that is or is not under the floor. Spare tire shots. Seats folded down??? That would make me happy.
Yes and please please please a measurement of the hatch opening?!:)

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Don't fret about Homelink, they are a mess with new random code openers. I've tried for hours to link my Treg and haven't succeeded yet including the dealer. I have read all the posts with Touareg club no go.

doctorkb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
I'm not worried about the lack of HomeLink. It would be nice to have something like it, but those systems (when built in) seem to not cooperate well with the openers.

I am disappointed we didn't get CAR-NET in Canada -- they didn't even put a sunglasses holder there, just a blank panel.

spicy_red

Veteran Member
TDI
Just wondering 'spicey' if you noted the inclusion of the engine block heater plug and corresponding electrical cord? (It is part of our Canadian package and might be useful given your location).
Have that!

Will get some interior shots and measurements....

Roshermoore

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW DSG sunroof
Leg room the same

Does the wagon have more back-seat leg room than the regular Mk7 Golf?
No. the leg room in regular Golf and Sportwagen is the same at 35.6 In.

The only real difference in their dimensions is in the total length. Sportwagen is 179.6 and Golf is 167.5. The 12.1 difference is mostly in the rear hatch area.

spicy_red

Veteran Member
TDI
Interior shots added to the album. Including one with kid's hockey gear in back lol...

Approx rear storage area dimensions:
Door opening: 40" W x 33.5"H
Door tapers in at top to 37.5" W
Widest point in door = 42"W
Between wheel wells = 40"W
Depth, rear seats to back hatch door = 40"

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
Awesome spicy!!! Thank you!!!!!! I hope you and the wife are enjoying the heck out of it.

So hatch opening is what would fit? If it fits 29" of height I'm ecstatic!

Last edited:

badufay

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI S, 6 spd man; 2017 Jetta SE TSI, 5 spd man
Sportwagen and regular Golf... The MK7 is a freakin' nice looking car inside and out!

JBizz

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 vw golf tdi
No. the leg room in regular Golf and Sportwagen is the same at 35.6 In.

The only real difference in their dimensions is in the total length. Sportwagen is 179.6 and Golf is 167.5. The 12.1 difference is mostly in the rear hatch area.

Im sitting here looking at one trying to debate to trade in my golf s tdi for SW. Any idea on weight difference?

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
keep the Golf and wait for the MKVII crossovers out in a year or two. Not worth trading in now for a little more room. besides by next year VW will fix the radio, and maybe have a lot better other tech. 2015s are not showing any major problems, so the models rolling out next will be exciting. Come on, crossover beats wagon.

Roshermoore

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW DSG sunroof
Weight is same

Any idea on weight difference?
Weight is essentially the same: GSW = 3200 lb.

Golf 4 dr = 3199

However, the GSW has a 134 lb greater load carrying capacity.

GSW load capacity = 1146 lb.

Golf 4 dr = 1012 lb.

JBizz

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 vw golf tdi
Weight is essentially the same: GSW = 3200 lb.

Golf 4 dr = 3199

However, the GSW has a 134 lb greater load carrying capacity.

GSW load capacity = 1146 lb.

Golf 4 dr = 1012 lb.
Thanks that's what i read at the dealer. im amazed it has a 12v plug in the trunk. Does it stay on after you turn it off the car? I would do a second battery mod if it did

spicy_red

Veteran Member
TDI
Just a quick update in case anybody cares... I have 7,500kms on the car. It has been great, I really enjoy driving it. Took our Mini out of storage and could not stand the man trans and clutch setup on the mini vs the GSW. Night and day difference.
Anyways the car has been fantastic. I just added a 1/2 litre of oil to top up (yes the correct kind), and the mileage has been great. I drive FAST in general and it has been exceptional. The best tank so far was the last one @ 5.3L/100KM on a return trip from Montana. I won't admit online how fast I was going and how quick the 800kms went but lets just say... never mind. That tank was good for about 850kms to empty. Not the long range like my previous TDI's but since I'm older now I can't go that long without stopping anyways lol.
Nothing but a positive review in general, if you're thinking about it, get one. The only knock I have is I do find the phone interaction on the infotainment system basically useless. I am used to the Dodge connect system and unfortunately that one is far superior. Oh well, my fuel bill is also a third and I get paid by the KM...

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2015 Golf SEL 6m Sold: 2012 Golf 2dr DSG
Just out of curiosity, how does a remote starter work on a manual? Just have to be sure to leave it in neutral?

Ruso Turisto

TDI
2015 MK7 Wagon Highline 6 speed MT
Just out of curiosity, how does a remote starter work on a manual? Just have to be sure to leave it in neutral?
I had a starter on the manual before, yes, you have leave it in the neutral. Also, you would need to install a clutch switch bypass, so the car would start without the clutch engaged.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
....not that anyone really cares, 'Red (but your report was well received by this sailor. - especially the Mini - GSW manual transmission comparo).

I thought it was just me (I came from a 1982 VW Rabbit diesel pickup).....................

all the best, ez

Last edited:

spicy_red

Veteran Member
TDI
There is a specific process that must be followed or it won't work to restart. Miss a step or do it out of order and it won't even try start. Good thing.
Come to stop, car in neutral, handbrake, foot off brake. Click remote start button. Get out of vehicle, hit lock on fob. Vehicle will turn off by itself. procedure is done. If all went well vehicle will restart when you tell it to.
Downside is i have found if I go back to get something later it seems to cancel the start for later on. Will check with dealer if this is supposed to do that or not.