Tdi that say for awhile

jon_570

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 ALH Jetta 1.9
I just bought a mk4 tdi. Unfortunately it's auto. But I will be doing a swap eventually. The car has sat for about a year. Obviously I'll need a new battery. Oil. And checking the coolant. What else should I do. Do I need to drain the gas tank and lines? Should I check the injectors? New fuel filter?

jon_570

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 ALH Jetta 1.9
Lol yea. By bad about the tank. It's late. I'm tired. What would be the best way to drain it? Tired are good. And brakes. Will I'm sure need serviced.

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
fuel will be fine, drive it for a tank or 2 then change the filter. diesel has a much longer shelf life then gas, years if it is not getting moisture.

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
my 0.02-
Don't change things for the sake of changing things. Do you know for sure it needs a new battery ? The battery might take a charge and be just fine. If the fuel tank was properly capped, and hopefully more full than empty, good chance that is just fine too. I agree with changing the oil. Run it, see how it goes. One concern that comes to mind is the bearings on the idler and tensioner pulleys (both accessory and timing belts...) that could have developed rust from sitting for extended period without running... potentially leading to short term failures. Once it is running, watch the belts and oil and coolant levels like a hawk for at least the first couple months.

Congrats on your acquisition!

VW_TDi_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf-S TDi with DSG
You can drop in some additive before driving on the same fuel in the tank, change fuel filter, check lift pump for operation, wouldn't hurt to take egr valve off for cleaning and inspecting the manifold for soot clog. Pretty much that's what I did when I purchased my tdi.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I doubt you will find a lift pump if it has an ALH engine.

I'd start the engine without doing anything other than making sure it has oil and coolant.

As someone suggested, diesel fuel has a long life. It should be fine. I have a MK1 diesel that has 4 year old fuel in it. I start the car about every six months and let it idle for a 15 or 20 minutes.

My RV has 5 year old fuel in it ...........80 gallons! I start it about once per year.

jon_570

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 ALH Jetta 1.9
Thanks so much for the replies guy. The oil level is good. I need to replace the turbo. But once that's done. I'll charge the battery while changing it and we will see what happens. Thanks again