Brand new engine - exhaust coming from valve cover

mikeyworks

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI Green, 2000 Jetta GLS TDI Blue
I just installed a new engine in a 2000 VW Golf TDI. It's a standard 1.9L ALH TDI engine, with no mods. It's brand new from the factory with zero miles.

I installed the engine and hooked everything up, filled the fluids and started it up.

It started right up, but exhaust seems to be pouring out of the valve cover oil fill hole.

I can tighten the cap or press down on it, and it still comes out. I can cover the hole with my hand (with the cap off) and I can feel the exhaust pushing past my hand or coming out the CCV puck hole.

Why is it smoking from the top end like this? Is there something wrong?

Thanks,
Mikey

SCarroll

Veteran Member
The engine could need to seat in and should do better in a short while or there is something else wrong... The vacuum pump does vent to the engine and if any large vac leaks they will push this air to the CCV!

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
A zero mileage factory engine is going to burn off alot of the assembly lube the first time you start it up. I would give it a few miles before worrying about it...

hagar

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 white Jetta 5sp & 2006 Mercedes CDI
Did you buy the engine from VW USA? How much did it cost you if you don't mind me asking?

mikeyworks

Veteran Member
TDI
After doing some more head scatching and talking with MoGolf last night over IM, I think we're all in agreement that this is just a "new engine" type of thing and the assby. lube needs to burn off while the rings seat.

Saturday AM I will take the car out, hopefully, and run it through the gears and RPM range for a while to get it started on the seating process (per Drivbiwire's recommendations). I will keep an eye on things as I go.

The engine was actually purchased through Overland Parts but they sourced the engine from the same place VW does...acorrding to the distributor. I think the engine came in at about $3,200.

Mikey

mikeyworks

Veteran Member
TDI
Canadian_Grizzly said:
You did put oil in it????
Yeah, it has oil in it...Rotella T full synthetic 5W-40. It's CI-4+ rated so it's fine for this engine.

I will drive it around tomorrow and then update.

Mikey

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Its the blow-by (from combustion gasses passing the cylinder rings) you are noticing. I would imagine blow-by will become less as the engine wears (breaks) in and the rings begin to seat. Give at a few thousand mules before you condem the motor.

--Nate