another dead automatic?

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
I picked up a really nice wagon Friday with a dead automatic. I got it home and vag indicates p7114 p0730-003 incorrect gear ratio. could that be something other than 'dead tranny' and if so is there a sequence of checks I should follow? I have a known good tcm and other parts from one I'm junking.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Incorrect gear ratio means the drum bends are slipping and the transmission is dead.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
It jerks hard when I put it in drive and rev the engine but takes off. Same in reverse.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes. Do you think the Eriksson rebuilt torque converters are good? They are an authorized zf dealer and offer exchanges and help with shipping

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have no experience with that outfit. A torque converter will not fix your dead transmission. A new (reman) transmission will come with a new converter, however.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's for a working tranny I'm using as a donor. Thought it would be good maintenance to replace the tc that's in it as well as a fluid/filter change. The donor tranny is dry -no seal leaks. should I just change fluid and leave everything else as is? It had no codes.

Last edited:

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
I've used Eriksson for over 30 years, They do exceptional work. Their reman trans are as good or better than the ones from vw. I have never had a problem with anything from them.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I doubt zf would authorize them if they weren't good but that still doesn't answer my question if I should touch any of the hardware on a perfectly good working donor.

oilhammer

TDI
I do not think you could possibly "hurt" anything by replacing the converter proactively on your used donor unit, if that is what you are asking. But I do not know what the price of a non-OEM (which is a brand new Sachs) would be. Those are about $1100.

In any case, make sure your flush the cooler/pipes both ways thoroughly before you hook up the replacement. Wouldn't want any trash from the dead one to ruin it.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
You might ask Nat if they would consider taking two of your transmissions, giving you credit for extra core, so you would have a reduced cost for the rebuild of one. They also do turbos so if you have cores.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Any of a multitude of things will cause a a/t to fail, they will charge according to what is needed but its insurance that you don't have to do the job all over again. they run every trans on their dyno. They are the people manufacturers go to to when they are having problems, I could name a couple.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
what to use to flush coolant lines?

I do not think you could possibly "hurt" anything by replacing the converter proactively on your used donor unit, if that is what you are asking. But I do not know what the price of a non-OEM (which is a brand new Sachs) would be. Those are about $1100.

In any case, make sure your flush the cooler/pipes both ways thoroughly before you hook up the replacement. Wouldn't want any trash from the dead one to ruin it.
Those aerosol flush cans come with new/rebuilt trannies. Any suggestions what to use?

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Can ayone tell me the "dry" capacity of the GMR? as time goes by on maintenance of these trannies, is the G052162A2 spec still what we should use? Pentosin ATF-1? Super expensive. Best price I've found is $13.50/L.

oilhammer

TDI
Initial filling 9 liters.

Changing (which I assume to be just a drain and fill) 3 liters.

I know if you drop the pan and take the filter loose, it is closer to 5 liters to fill it back up.

We use Pentosin ATF1 here (there are other brands).

I think our cost on it (we purchase it in 20 L jugs) is about $11/per.

Last edited:

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
FCP Euro has Pentosin ATF-1 priced at $60 per 5L shipped, no tax.

Febi and Ravenol can be found a bit cheaper there and elsewhere.

Last edited:

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
idparts sells at a good price too. I'm sure Corey would not put trash out there.