Things to do with V10 out of the car

mineralfarmer

TDI
Touareg V10
I have my 139,000-mile engine/transmission out and have replaced the badly-worn camshafts and lifters so far. For the rest of it, I have some questions for all you experts out there:
1) Would you rebuild good turbos at 139,000 miles just because they're out of the car and off the engine now, and if so where would you send them?
2) I often hear "oxygen sensors" referred to, but SOME parts houses and diagrams suggest that these are in fact temperature sensors (furthest upstream, ahead of the cats). What are they, really, and should they be replaced at 139,000 while the engine is out?
3) I am going to delete the DPFs and do a Malone tune. Is there a market for the used DPFs?
4) I do not see any reason to replace the rubber coupler between the AC compressor and the PS pump. Has anyone ever seen this fail? (I can't see a way to get to it, anyway, with the engine on the subframe.)
5) I cannot see any way to get the starter motor out while the engine is on the subframe. How would you get it out and would you replace it preemptively?
6) The glow plugs were replaced at about 64,000, or 75,000 miles ago. Would you replace those preemptively now? Malone tuning has recommendations on those as far as 5v vs 7v.
7) Do injectors need replacing preemptively at this time?
8) I've replaced the leaking tandem pump on the right bank but the left fuel pump looks to be drip-free. Should I replace it anyway?
9) I have an oil leak somewhere on top, running down the front of the engine to the left (right as viewed from the front) side of the main seal (which does NOT appear to be leaking). Is this most likely the oil filter housing gasket on top or what?
10) Anything else you'd do to the engine while it's out?
Many thanks!

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
Take a picture of yourself where the engine should go!

Sorry, I couldn't resist, as I have no other good input but didn't want to leave this looking like no one cared to comment.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I would absolutely do the coupler for the AC compressor, and for the power steering. Ours was rattling badly.

Servicing the starter is a good idea.

-J

Fourdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Touareg V10 TDI
Alternator coupling - inspect carefully.... transmission valve plate.
About the turbos - take them apart far enough to thoroughly clean and free up the linkages between the actuator and the turbo VNT. It is the linkages clogging up that usually cause the actuator servos to overload and fail. They get very dirty where they are hidden and are very hard to access. The internal parts of the hot section can also get clogged up. They should move freely. DO NOT rebuild the turbos unless you see damage to the compressor wheel(s) OR there is 'significant' radial play in the shaft(s). Axial play - along the shaft axis - is OK and is controlled by the space between the hot section driven element and the clearance at the bearing behind the compressor wheel. If you hear any sign of rubbing when you are turning the rotating element by hand - that is NOT OK.
There are a couple of turbo rebuilders in Provo, UT not far from you. Check around.

Last edited:

mineralfarmer

TDI
Touareg V10
I've got new cartridges for the turbos that have been balanced and plug right in. However on the accessories like the starter air conditioner compressor and power steering pump, these are only accessible if you lift the engine up off of the subframe which I am not equipped to do. I'm thinking that in the future if any of these items fail, I will support the engine and transmission in the car and lower the subframe. The only problem is unhooking the power steering hoses, and I need to do some more poking around to see how that might be accomplished with the engine in the car.