Glow Plug recall

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechanist

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat silver like the rest, 2005 B5.5 in dirty black, 2015 Passat Highline auto white.
Apparently, (as I am told by the dealer), there will be a new flash available for those that had the glow plug recall done. It will be out on Wednesday (tomorrow).
This is just what I have been told, but I do have an appointment to have mine reflashed this friday, so we can see what new bugs that brings.

Gaggu P

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat B5.5 BHW
Will they be replacing plugs for those who didn't get the recall done in the first place?

mechanist

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat silver like the rest, 2005 B5.5 in dirty black, 2015 Passat Highline auto white.
No idea, I didn't think to ask, sorry. I had the recall done just prior to winter last year, then discovered it didn't start in the cold, but then who really expects their car to start in cold weather :rolleyes: obviously not the folks at VW. Wise man might not just rush into this second deal either, wait and see what the new flash brings with it. I'm thinking an aftermarket tune would be worth it at this point anyway.

mechanist

Veteran Member
TDI
AFAIK, ECU needs to be in the car.

Sorry, but I had to change my appointment, won't have the info on Friday. It stormed, can't get the car off the yard, 4x4 truck only.

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
No idea, I didn't think to ask, sorry. I had the recall done just prior to winter last year, then discovered it didn't start in the cold, but then who really expects their car to start in cold weather :rolleyes: obviously not the folks at VW. Wise man might not just rush into this second deal either, wait and see what the new flash brings with it. I'm thinking an aftermarket tune would be worth it at this point anyway.
All kidding aside, this car should start at -20F with no issues. We did ok, but shaky at times below 0, and two nasty starts.

Skooch

TDI
2005 Passat GL TDI
Hello eveyone -

I spoke to my mechanic today in respect to this new TSB / possible recall. What he informed me was that it is not a definate recall and may be simply a TSB for those "2.0 L TDI engines that have hard starting issues at temperatures of 32 degrees F or below and have had the glow plugs changed from ceramic to metal and the ECU update."

According to my mechanic these means any 2.0 L TDI engine that was properly serviced under the glow plug recall of 2009.

Biodezl

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2005, Teal; Golf, 1999, Metalic Green, Auto
But for those of us who changed the glow plugs on our own, we can't get the upgrade nor the fix to the upgrade? My local dealer says that they can't do the glow plug upgrade because they don't have the firmware.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I haven't had issues starting in the cold with RC1 tune and the steel plug option.

Skooch

TDI
2005 Passat GL TDI
As far as I know, anyone with the ceramic plugs can have them changed under the recall from late 08/early 09.

When I spoke with my mechanic he said it may be a while before there is a decision / notice sent out so Vw can get parts necessary / ready.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
As far as I know, anyone with the ceramic plugs can have them changed under the recall from late 08/early 09.

When I spoke with my mechanic he said it may be a while before there is a decision / notice sent out so Vw can get parts necessary / ready.
No. The recall was withdrawn. If you did not have the work done then, you can't have it done now. Sounds like VW is only willing to "fix" the cars of those who were foolish to trust their fix the first time. Those of us who waited to see what happened are not going to be helped by VW :mad:

tdireader

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
No. The recall was withdrawn. If you did not have the work done then, you can't have it done now. Sounds like VW is only willing to "fix" the cars of those who were foolish to trust their fix the first time. Those of us who waited to see what happened are not going to be helped by VW :mad:
And the ceramic plugs are no longer readily available.

It needs to be remembered that this was an emissions recall and not a recall on the ceramic plugs. Sure the plugs were obsoleted but that is our problem.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's

it's only been over a year since the GP flash was stopped.............So...????

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
This is another of many, many examples of the fabulous customer service VWAG/VOA has displayed. I won't bore with with the long list and I do realize other mfgs. have their share of issues as well but, when I have to resort to not offering B5 Passats and now CR TDIs at my dealership due to the total lack of doing what's right and yes, even the A5 TDIs are a total joke regarding items that should never have the issues they have such as cam wear, DMF, EGR coolers, many turbo actuator problems, etc.

Yes, my career has been dedicated to the VW TDIs for nearly 13 years now but, no one more than myself wishes other mfgs. would dive into the diesel passenger car market sooner rather than later in hopes VW would recieve a huge wake-up call even though their huge arrogant mindset will probably remain.:rolleyes: Later!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
This got me wondering what VW has done about this situation. I just called my local dealer and they show the ceramic plug (N 105 916 01) superseding to the N 105 916 07, which is the steel plug. If you look at ETKA it also shows N 105 916 04 as an option, which supercedes to N 105 916 08, the plug that also fits a BRM. And VW shows only 5 of the original BEW plugs (PN ending in 01), in North America. I ordered the three that they show in their local depot and I'm curious to see what actually arrives.

So if you have an '04 or '05 PD and need a glow plug, it looks like your option is to use the BRM glow plug. I wonder who's done this.

TDINJ

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer own one.
Several BEW owners have installed the NGK ceramic plug meant for the BRM. "Loki" is one of them I believe. I still have the original 7volt programming in my '05 BEW Jetta. I never took it in for the recall. Glad I didn't!

Instead after my old ceramics went bad, I installed 11 volt steelies from the ALH engine cars. They work ok until you get down below about 10F degrees.

I plan on installing the NGK BRM gps this winter in mine.

2005passatsteve

TDI
2005 passat tdi wagon, 2004 Jetta TDI, 1992 Jetta TD, 1997 Jetta TD, 1991 Passat Gas wagon converted to Standard tranny and TD.
Ya, I had the recall done last year (2009) and was not impressed! The dealer told me the problem was a chance of a fire under the hood with the bad harness! It is my wife's car with the kids, so I said do it! But just after we had it done, we went for a road trip to Timmins, and they were in a -34C cold snap in the mornings. Sadly, my car would not start. I cranked and cranked and cranked, it finally got running. I came right back to the dealer, and they said they knew of issues. "VW knows of it not working on SOME cars, so the current fix is to put the original steel plugs back in, and reflash the car". Hmmm, bizzar fix for a possible fire issue! Anyway, I asked for the plugs and they said no, because they have to send them back.
Just 2 days ago, the passat has flashed the engine light and Emission Workshop code. With a scan it is P0672. This is almost 9 months since the old plugs and wires were put back on.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
I haven't had issues starting in the cold with RC1 tune and the steel plug option.
Same here on my PD Golf (BEW). The starts are a bit smokier and not as 'positive' as they were with the steel-sheathed ceramic glowplugs but it has always started on the first try after one glowplug cycle. And in temperatures as cold as -25ºC in Chicago (the Miami of Canada!).

IIRC, the very latest BEWs also got the same steel-sheathed glowplugs as the BHW - a picture of one taken out of my Golf is below. One was donated to Jeff for S&G, the other was dropped on the floor repeatedly until it broke. The remaining two are not for sale - ceramic GPs are a replacement short block & head refurb waiting to happen!

mechanist

Veteran Member
TDI
woo hoo! update.
I had the B5 in the dealer's shop yesterday, and a call from vw customer care 10 minutes ago.
They (vw) are doing an "NGK package" swap, and will be contacting all the people that were screwed over by this recall gone wrong... and apologize profusely, etc etc....
I won't know more until the car goes back to the dealer and I get to talk to someone that knows just what the package is... if it's just plugs, plugs and injectors, or maybe just a bat to whack me over the head to make me shut up, BUT
Vw is actually doing something about it starting today.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
woo hoo! update.
I had the B5 in the dealer's shop yesterday, and a call from vw customer care 10 minutes ago.
They (vw) are doing an "NGK package" swap, and will be contacting all the people that were screwed over by this recall gone wrong... and apologize profusely, etc etc....
I won't know more until the car goes back to the dealer and I get to talk to someone that knows just what the package is... if it's just plugs, plugs and injectors, or maybe just a bat to whack me over the head to make me shut up, BUT
Vw is actually doing something about it starting today.
I think that with my car, I will refuse to have any different plugs installed. I would sleep better with a RC-1 reflash IMHO. I have the VW reflash along with the steelies and it has really has been civil in starting. I would rather just leave a sleeping dog lie. But of course I don't live in Canada where it gets extra cold in winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.