coolant temp warning lite flashing when cold

lilsmoker

TDI
2002 jetta tdi wagon 5 spd.
Just recently the warning display started flashing the coolant temp lite, after starting it up cold( for so.cal.). It stays on and keeps flashing even when the engine is warn or up to temp. The car doesn't overheat or run warm according to the temp. gauge when driving. Its normal commute is about 17 miles one way against traffic flow so its doing about 50 mph most of the trip. Also the coolant level is correct in the bottle. I'm thinking bad temp. or coolant level sensor. Any ideas would greatly be appreciated.

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
I am thinking your right. I think I would start with the level sensor.

Lee_Taylor

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 1.4 COD
I had this problem last year when the temperature dropped the water level alarm would go off. As far as I could tell the level was fine, but I added a small amount of distilled water and it stopped. The level sensor can be a bit over sensitive in my view.

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
Last "winter" I had the light come on with the coolant level above minimum. Like the previous poster, adding some coolant/DW shut off the light.

CBS06

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD Trip
same added

same added alittle bit and it stops , mostly came on in cold weather

lilsmoker

TDI
2002 jetta tdi wagon 5 spd.
Added the water and you all are right, way to sensitive, shouldn't complain first time I've had to add coolant or water to since I bought it new.