ECU Problems

LuckyBob

TDI
Passat TDI 2012
Congratulations to me for being the first one in NA to require a replacement ECU. 3 Weeks and waiting. The dealer is doing what they can but it seems they are getting the run around as to when the thing will actually show. :mad:

Actually I shouldn't say 3 it's only been 2 weeks since they ordered itbut 3 since this started. Is anyone else having CEL / GP Light or any codes?

Last edited:

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
Thankfully all clear here, haven't heard of too many problems with these cars....yet.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Sorry for your delay. I should think they would have adequate replacement parts supplies before they even started delivering cars late last summer. It seems odd to me to take more than a day or 2 for an ECU...although longer to Canada...but 3 weeks? Someone dropped the ball on this one.
Keep us posted.

eprater1

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI w/DSG(transmission failed w/800 miles on it) 2012 Passat SE w/Sunroof -65k traded in on 2013 Passat TDI SE w/Sunroof 2006 Ford F350 on 37's, few things deleted, little methanol injection, few things modded, few more filters added :)
good luck with the repair, they taking care of you in the mean time?

LuckyBob

TDI
Passat TDI 2012
good luck with the repair, they taking care of you in the mean time?
I've got a loaner but it's a base Jetta 2.0 which is costing me my regular car payment plus twice the fuel costs for the pleasure to drive it (my back hates the seats) Doesnt feel like a great deal. They can't offer a better car as I'm told.

The dealer is solid and trying but its obvious VW is not giving them a full picture, I can tell they are being fed very little info. They can't even track the shipment which tells me there's something more to this and by delaying, VW may not be confident in the solution.

I am also dealing with customer care so we'll see what happens and I'll make sure to post the result. If the problem isn't fixed after this I will have to pursue replacement of the car.

Really miss the car, just want it back and working.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I've got a loaner but it's a base Jetta 2.0 which is costing me my regular car payment plus twice the fuel costs for the pleasure to drive it (my back hates the seats) Doesnt feel like a great deal. They can't offer a better car as I'm told.

The dealer is solid and trying but its obvious VW is not giving them a full picture, I can tell they are being fed very little info. They can't even track the shipment which tells me there's something more to this and by delaying, VW may not be confident in the solution.

I am also dealing with customer care so we'll see what happens and I'll make sure to post the result. If the problem isn't fixed after this I will have to pursue replacement of the car.

Really miss the car, just want it back and working.
You can call up customer care and voice your concern and they'll ususally pick up the months payment. People with HPFP failures have been successful with this tactic.

Bluto408tdi

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE w/Nav
It took two weeks to get a replacement bumper cover for my Passat when it got tapped in the rear end.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
They should pull one out of a car on the ground. If its an automatic, there are lots of them around.

You need to change your screen name I guess?

Don

chris@revotechnik

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
12 JSW, 98 TJ cummins, bunch of gassers
They should pull one out of a car on the ground. If its an automatic, there are lots of them around.

Don

Last I heard (just a week or two ago) VWs system no longer allows them to align a used ecu to a car. Once it has been assigned a vin and aligned to the immo that is it. A new ecu is the only option.

LuckyBob

TDI
Passat TDI 2012

Don
I was thinking of taking a "test drive" at another dealer :) But I'm 90% sure the VIN has to be matched to the ECU during warranty.

I'm very fortunate to have a good job and a healthy and happy family so I feel very Lucky, having a sick car is a minor problem really. I still love the car and look forward to the day it returns (Hopefully soon). It was a perfect choice for us, great on fuel, extremely comfortable and large enough for long road trips and fun to drive fast when you feel like it. In every way it blows any Hybrid (along with their god awful CVT transmissions) out of the water. If they make a DSG TDI Hybrid one day even better.

LuckyBob

TDI
Passat TDI 2012
Car is still in the shop awaiting the ECM ordered 3 weeks ago, they cannot give me a firm date or trace the shipment. I can track my mothers birthday card through regular mail but this multi million dollar company can't track a small part delivery from their own supplier. Apparently VW lives in the 1950's

BTW Customer Care doesn't care at all, they've been no help at all. It's all being documented I'll pursue replacement of the car shortly as its been a month now.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Maybe VW's schooner found rough seas? :rolleyes: That is a joke... I have no doubt VWAG has a sophisticated inventory database, just too bad no one knows how to use it for this purpose.

LuckyBob

TDI
Passat TDI 2012
Car back yesterday, computer changed all seems fine. They did a great job detailing it for me as well. So the dealer is solid, we'll see if Customer Care will re-imburse the months payment.

LuckyBob

TDI
Passat TDI 2012
Great to hear this follow up! Too bad you had the issue.
I spoke too soon, drove the car for 2 days and the problem returned. Glow Plug light followed by CEL and limp mode. Generic OBD2 codes are below, I'll buy a VagCom cable if my car ever works. Here's the codes, any ideas!??

P0651 Sensor Reference Voltage "B" Circuit/Open
P03d0 Pressure Sensor #1 implausible signal
p13d6 Pressure Sensor #3 implausible signal
p13d9 Pressure Sensor #4 implausible signal
p13d3 Pressure Sensor #2 implausible signal
p204a Reductant Pressure Sensor Circuit: Electrical Malfunction
P2127 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch "E" Circuit Low Input
P0651 Sensor Reference Voltage "B" Circuit/Open
P03d0 Pressure Sensor #1 implausible signal
p13d6 Pressure Sensor #3 implausible signal
p13d9 Pressure Sensor #4 implausible signal
p13d3 Pressure Sensor #2 implausible signal
p204a Reductant Pressure Sensor Circuit: Electrical Malfunction

Last edited:

domano 68

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6spd manual
It might be on the inside of the drivers side door (not a Passat owner, yet). However we know it was built before October 2011. Just trying to establish a date code here with your vehicle and perhaps VW has addressed this issue.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Silver sticker at the base of the B pillar (open driver's door, look down at the bottom of the B pillar)

Niner

duplicate account, banned
There is a sticker that came in your owners manual or in the glove box, it should give the day and month of the build.

Last edited:

LuckyBob

TDI
Passat TDI 2012
Dont they have lemon laws up there as well? Dont they have to buy the car back?

I hope your luck improves with this one.
Funny :)

No lemon laws but there is an Arbitration program called ... www.camvap.ca

If VW can't fix the car and the refuses to replace it then we have that option. I am fairly sure they will replace the car though if this takes much longer. And yes I would be happy to have another Passat exactly the same.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
All those issues sounds like a loose electrical connection somewhere, if I was to hazard a guess, or they were not all "adapted" properly when the new ECU went in.

eatpasta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Funny :)

No lemon laws but there is an Arbitration program called ... www.camvap.ca

If VW can't fix the car and the refuses to replace it then we have that option. I am fairly sure they will replace the car though if this takes much longer. And yes I would be happy to have another Passat exactly the same.
well i hope it get sorted sooner than later.... I totally understand the frustration.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Bob,

Good and bad news.

Good that at least it does not appear widespread, yet..... biting nails, bad for you because you are having the problem.

Thanks for sharing and keeping us up to date.

I wonder if you got one of the first or pre-production vehicles.

LuckyBob

TDI
Passat TDI 2012
They still have my car and can't figure it out

Update, dealer still has the car. They don't seem to be able to figure this out.

This is the 6th week.