Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle GLS TDI, 2003, White
You know you\'re obscessed when....

[ QUOTE ]
tditone said:
[ QUOTE ]
tditone said:
... you use the drive-thru at Dunkin Donuts: not because it's faster and more convenient, but because there's a cool brick wall on the way out that gives you a perfect diesel-clatter reverb!

-Tone

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
rifaco said:
...You go through the drive-thru at Wendy's not because you're hungry, but because you want to be able to roll down the window and hear the sound of the engine bounce off the wall. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like I'm not alone... /images/graemlins/cool.gif

-Tone

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you rev to hear the turbo.

And yes, I too run out and smell the smoke.

"Diesel smoke.... on danger road"

Luv My 02 TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MK5(2010) and MK6(2015)

... When you cary a stack of TDI Club.com Business Cards in your car and on you. Pulling over to every TDI you see parked on the road or in a parkinglot, placing them under the wipers or window gasket.

Guilty as Charged!!!

kooz

TDI
2018 Chevy Cruze Hatchback, Diesel, 6 speed manual, Gray Metallic

Ditto on waiting for the '04s!!

Had an order for an '03 GLS Wagon, leather interior, (any color but silver or white), but all that were left were reflex silver. Did they have a fleet order for a gazillion silver cars cancel? Also, having driven a Pewter Subaru Legacy wagon for 13 yrs and 343,000 miles, I need a new color!! Leaning to either black or the spice red.

This waiting is killing me!

tbeetle

TDI
Golf, S TDi 1999, Silver
You know you\'re obsessed when....

I've done the wall thing listening to that engine. Someone told me you could not beat the throaty roar of an MGB in a country lane, I think they were wrong...

Vectorer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premo

...after a long day you're coming up on your exit for hearth & home, but wait...isn't that...ANOTHER TDI UP AHEAD?

...who isn't getting off and you just have to pass him/her slowly enough to show off that BORA badge and the little red <font color="red">I</font> on your TD<font color="red">I</font> badge which you just got from Impex...so you blow by your exit.

Mission accomplished!

"It's a special feeling!" - F. Rogers

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....

Hehe, yeah I just ordered a "Vento" nametag for my A3. I love confusing folks /images/graemlins/smile.gif

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE

I was pondering re-arranging the letters on the back of my car to "FLOG". /images/graemlins/eek.gif

jasonlava

Veteran Member
TDI

You use an anagram generator to rearrange the letters on your car.

TDI GOLF:
GOLD FIT
DOG LIFT
DOG FLIT
GOD LIFT
OLD GIFT
or my favorite
FLOG IT

TDI BORA:
BAD I ROT
BAD RIOT

TDI POLO:
Idol pot
Dip Tool /images/graemlins/eek.gif
Pod Toil (as in Beetle?) /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

gredi

Veteran Member

Almost as silly as thinking any American would buy a diesel powered car. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

dumpsterfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
None - formerly 86 jetta diesel, 01 golf TDI, 09 Jetta TDI

...when your friends that don't have TDI's are more obsessed than you! Last night I was coming home with my daughter through an alley (to listen for a weird clunking noise I heard earlier in the sound reflections off of garages) and way up ahead I saw some people walk past, then one of the people looked back. It was my friend. He said "I knew I heard a diesel" and his wife asked "what are you getting for mileage?" I said "about 50" and she said "not as good as it could be, huh?"

bigun

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI

[ QUOTE ]
dumpsterfuel said:
and his wife asked "what are you getting for mileage?" I said "about 50" and she said "not as good as it could be, huh?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Dang. What was she expecting?!?! LOL!

TDInownow

Veteran Member
TDI
None right now...

You:

1) Decide to build a house that changes your commute from a 30 mile round trip to a 120 mile round trip.

2) Buy a 2003 Jetta TDI to get better milage on the commute.

** At least that's the order my wife thinks things happened in /images/graemlins/grin.gif

TomChatham

TDI
2003 Jetta Black

When you start looking for place to which to drive for the flimsiest of reasons.
When you hook up your GPS to your laptop and drive to Canada to test the accuracy.
When you speak to other TDI owners in parking lots whom you have never met before that point.
When you order a rental car in Europe and insist that it be a TDI.
When you move the Beemer out of the garage so the TDI doesn't have to suffer the weather.
Tom

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d

I filled my wife's (gas) car up recently (with gas), and stupidly tried to cram another whole gallon into the tank like I can on my Passat by venting. Doh! You can't vent on her car! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif My shoes are stained... /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Lightman

Veteran Member

you know you're obsessed when you've sold your TDI and still come back to read this stupid forum!!!! /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jasonlava

Veteran Member
TDI

I gave a co-worker a ride to the bank today so he can cash a check. I was at the drive-through right next to a concrete wall. As soon as I lowered the window I was like "listen to that engine clatter". The TDI was clacking away making a nice reverbed sound on the concrete wall.

Of course, before leaving the bank I revved so he could hear the turbo winding up as well. When we got on the highway, I let him FEEL what a small turbo diesel engine can do. He was quite impressed with the power that comes out. He tried to compare it to the old VW Rabbit Diesel but there's NO comparison. TDI's are FUN cars. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver

You drive an extra 50 miles after the fuel low light comes on to see if you can get to 700 miles on the trip odometer! /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

gotta_jett

Veteran Member

outstanding thread!...
..you know you're completely in TDI-land when you cant wait to start the engine after filling up...so all the folks standing there thinking you've just put the wrong fuel in your car can hear the sweet sound of surprise /images/graemlins/grin.gif

JettaJake

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 GLS 5spd

you're excited that there's another customer pulling up to the diesel pump so as you can talk to them about your ride....like today, when a big ol' gasser pickup rolled in trailering a backhoe which apparently needed fuel....

"that's a diesel, huh?"

"ubetcha and doncha gotta dig the buck-58 versus the $2.09 for regular gas?" /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

"oh yea, but it's all a farce, no way that should be over $2/gal..." ( /images/graemlins/wink.gif I see it as balancing out for this past winter when diesel was going for ~dime more than regular gas - HA!)

We continued to talk while we pumped -- I was paying at the pump while he went inside and we talked some more before he pulled out...the guy knew it got around 50mpg and recalled the early VW diesels....I grinned as he was a little perplexed why I was filling it to the very brim...

"man, you oughta leave a little room there" so then I had to tell him how I am still trying to join the 800 mile club; Jake's averaging just under 47mpg lifetime -=- still no 800, but good god do I love my TDI /images/graemlins/smile.gif

To the Fest, to the Fest!!

LagoonBlueTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6sp

When you see a guy (who's been watching you with a funny look on his face) at the gas pump pull off with the gas nozzle still in his car.

Happened today. Must be the gas fumes or something... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

KI4HOK

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Reflex silver Jetta wagon

You contemplate getting a sticker for the top of the winshield that says "Its a diesel thing, you wouldn't understand." for both you '03 jetta wagon and your '80 Dasher wagon diesel.

But then who but an obsessed person would restore a Dasher diesel.

LagoonBlueTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6sp

You see a Mercedes diesel pull up to the pumps and tell him, "Hey, that's diesel".

And you both "get it". /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .

Lightman, do you have any idea how many times I started to zing you about that? /images/graemlins/smirk.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/smirk.gif The forum is not stupid, it's people who are stupid. /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Ricdude

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, '03, Pt Grey, GLS

[ QUOTE ]
Ted Stringer said:
But then who but an obsessed person would restore a Dasher diesel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone was offering a '84 (or was it '80?) Dasher diesel wagon in the local Pennysaver (local for sale items magazine) for $100. Still got over 40 mpg. I was caller #2 (darnit!). Was thinking for $100, I'd experiment with WVO as a fuel source... If I find another one, now I know who to talk to. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Asimovian

TDI
2003 Golf GL 2dr, Reflex Silver

...you circle the supermarket parking lot (twice) despite your wife's teasing because you're almost positive you saw another TDI pull in the other side, and you can't pass up the opportunity to talk to another owner.

Amusingly enough, when I caught the person, who was indeed driving a Golf TDI, she didn't seem typically enthusiastic like the rest of us. She was probably in her mid-60s, and when I asked her what year it was, she kept insisting it was a '91 when it was really a 2001. /images/graemlins/smile.gif However, she finished by shouting "50 miles a gallon!" with a thumbs-up and a big grin as I drove off.

God, I love being part of this club. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars

When crossing the border on the way home from TDI Fest

they ask: "What you were doing in Canada?"
you reply: "We went to TDI Fest!"

We were offended /images/graemlins/wink.gif. Not only does he not show ANY enthusaism, he replies "What's that?"

Geesh, some people /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus

you put the parts from doing a ventectomy, in your finace's engagement ring box. /images/graemlins/wink.gif( not the nice plush velour one, the cardboard one). Hey, IT fits perfectly! Small enough box, too keep the parts in. HeeHee. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup-Edition EVO 4-Motion

I've got you all.......

You know you're obsessed when.........

Your SVTWEB /images/graemlins/grin.gif