YEAH! Shopping for a Wagon - tips/advice?

T Dot

Veteran Member
I am now shopping around for a 2011-2013 TDi wagon. This would be my first TDi.
Any tips I need to watch out for or certain parts I need to request be replaced? The cars I am currently looking at have a mileage of 40,000 - 90,000.
I am very lost as to what to specifically look for when it comes to the diesel engines.
Thanks in advance.

EDIT
shopping for a 6spd manual

Last edited:

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Good luck, keep in mind they may have sat 1-2 years or few months, please do carfax on them, the longer they sit the higher risks to develop mold in gas tank, I was a victim of that and had 5 fuel pump failures and the mechanic finally check the gas tank and found mold.....

Heres the link for you to read on,

https://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a6/2011-VW-sportwagen-TDI-buying-guide.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
If they have the DSG (automatic tranny), then make sure that the service has been done every 40k miles. Check all service records. Make sure the tires are in good shape. If it has a sunroof, make sure there are not any water spots on the roof or pillars.

T Dot

Veteran Member
Good luck, keep in mind they may have sat 1-2 years or few months, please do carfax on them, the longer they sit the higher risks to develop mold in gas tank, I was a victim of that and had 5 fuel pump failures and the mechanic finally check the gas tank and found mold.....

Heres the link for you to read on,

https://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a6/2011-VW-sportwagen-TDI-buying-guide.htm

Thank you. I was not aware that they could be sitting that long. It appears the one I was looking at was moving around 2 different states recently. So I dont think that one was sitting too long.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Welcome, if you see title in your state then Michigan then back to your state then that means the car didnt actually go there, they stay in your state in storage somewhere for a year to two. My car was from NJ for a year or two then storage then moved here in Florida then posted for sale.... so that way you know.

T Dot

Veteran Member
Welcome, if you see title in your state then Michigan then back to your state then that means the car didnt actually go there, they stay in your state in storage somewhere for a year to two. My car was from NJ for a year or two then storage then moved here in Florida then posted for sale.... so that way you know.

Thank you. I actually have a carfax that I can take a deeper look into.

What is the difference between the timing belt and serpentine belt? Should both be changed prior to purchase, or shortly after purchase?

Thanks in advance

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Timing belt is in the timing belt cover, must be changed every 130k miles and as for serp belt, Its on where the alternator and other accessory pulleys, if showing age, cracks or glazed... replace.

My old 2011, I changed serp and timing belt at 130k when she was about 3-4 years old. Then again at 280k then retired and went thru buyback at almost 300k due to transmission’s ecu ghosted out on me.

T Dot

Veteran Member
Timing belt is in the timing belt cover, must be changed every 130k miles and as for serp belt, Its on where the alternator and other accessory pulleys, if showing age, cracks or glazed... replace.

My old 2011, I changed serp and timing belt at 130k when she was about 3-4 years old. Then again at 280k then retired and went thru buyback at almost 300k due to transmission’s ecu ghosted out on me.

Is there any reason why a service dept cannot give me a quote to change out these 2 items without a ViN?

Mateo92807

TDI
2005 Jetta GLS TDI/2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Is there any reason why a service dept cannot give me a quote to change out these 2 items without a ViN?
They probably want to make sure they are getting you the right parts for your vehicle since there are a few variants (TDI can easily be messed up with TSI, etc). Every time I've called VW to order a part for my old Jetta TDI, they asked for my vin. That's probably why. Also, no need to change your timing belt until you are close to the 120 range, it will run you between $800-$1,000 for the timing belt and water pump kit.

T Dot

Veteran Member
They probably want to make sure they are getting you the right parts for your vehicle since there are a few variants (TDI can easily be messed up with TSI, etc). Every time I've called VW to order a part for my old Jetta TDI, they asked for my vin. That's probably why. Also, no need to change your timing belt until you are close to the 120 range, it will run you between $800-$1,000 for the timing belt and water pump kit.
Thank you. This makes more sense now.
I do show this vehicle was one of the vehicles that sat here for 2years. I also show that the car fax says they serpentine belt was hanged. How are there is no mention of the timing belt. Would they not have been changed hand in hand?

EDIT: I also do not show the WP has been cchanged

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I've never had anyone ask for my vin. Year, model, and engine type is all the need to give you a quick estimate. However, the service garages could work slightly differently north of the boarder.

T Dot

Veteran Member
I've never had anyone ask for my vin. Year, model, and engine type is all the need to give you a quick estimate. However, the service garages could work slightly differently north of the boarder.
I am in the USA now, so this was a state site dealership.

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW DSG and '11 JSW DSG
Thank you. This makes more sense now.
I do show this vehicle was one of the vehicles that sat here for 2years. I also show that the car fax says they serpentine belt was hanged. How are there is no mention of the timing belt. Would they not have been changed hand in hand?

EDIT: I also do not show the WP has been cchanged
The serpentine belt is an easy item to replace and they typically wear out and start squeaking/squealing before the timing belt is due. Now if the timing belt is being changed it makes complete sense to replace the serpentine as it would have to be removed to access the timing belt.

Are you looking for a CPO or non-CPO car? After the repairs I have had done to my '12 and my other half '11 I am glad we sprung for the CPO, I am gathering the pano sunshade repair on my '12 was probably upwards of $1500. The '11 the headliner is already coming loose at the sun visor corners but we are going to wait until the very last minute of the 2 year warranty to have that done.

Anyhow - the only thing I can recommend based on my experience is to check the a/c cooling power at idle speeds and during stop and go driving as the RCV valve is a common issue and causes very poor system performance. Also make sure the pano sunshade is still functional and has not detached - that is a $$$$$$$ repair.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914

I chuckle when I hear about dealership parts guys. After working for a couple (non VW) dealers, I am amused by them (not all of course;)). Make sure you come equipt with info. like tire pressure, car color, passenger seat condition and mothers maiden name.

On a constructive note my 2011 is a great car but I did have warm a/c (CPO covered the RCV fix), battery died 1st use (selling dealer covered cost), sticking pano roof (CPO covered recalibrate), leaked 1 qt. oil on 1st 100 mile run (drain bolt loose 4 turns...!!!, dealership oil change, tightened no harm no foul)

Last edited:

KAG

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Tdot....there us a sweet 2011 up in orilla vw dealership. I just bought a 2014 in Barrie, theres a bunch there too.

graeme20

TDI
2013 GSW
GSW Purchase in GTA

I tried a few out over the past couple months, and notice a difference from those on dealer lots vs. private sales. Dealer vehicles seemed to have minor annoyances such as stiff shifters, sticky e-brakes, check engine lights etc., whereas the couple private ones felt much nicer. I suspect dealer vehicles sat around for a few years awaiting the fix & didn't like siting idle, whereas private sale vehicles were still driven? Pics of my new beast below......complete with '18 GTI takeoffs!