Itching to delete....

gorms400

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta, 11 Sportwagen
I really like having a diesel that has a perfectly clean tailpipe after xxx thousand miles. But we just brought home our 11 Sportwagen last week, and some part of me wants to delete it. Maybe once the warranty is up, which should be in the next year I gather.

We really dont get rid if vehicles unless they are totalled it seems, and I want to make sure this car lasts. Is there any evidence that a stock/fixed tdi will go a few hundred thousand miles?

At work we have some Ford 6.7s, 2011-2013s and they are good trucks but never run right, out of 16 trucks none can make it a year without engine light or reduced power. I know it's not a TDI but seems to be same era emissions control....

Any reason not to do my own "fix" once the warranty is up?

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I would if I could get away with it here in comifornia.

The 6.7 is NOTHING like the good ol' dirty diesel 7.3 power stroke. All fords seem to have issues if the oil is not keep clean. Part of that is the DPF IMO

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Besides the "roll coal" option can be fun occasionally:D

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Lol, like jellowsubmarine said.... I had 2011 JSW with DPF/EGR until 180k miles and ditched for deleted DPF downpipe and EGR delete kit with stage 2 malone tune and whoa! Totally different animal. You can keep it and tune it on stage 2 then flash to stock if you return to vw for warranty but you might get caught and void warranty.

If you dont care about warranty then go for it. I plan to go delete on my 2014 JSW after no more HPFP failures for 6 months. So far 2 weeks now running wonderful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
I would if I could get away with it here in comifornia.

The 6.7 is NOTHING like the good ol' dirty diesel 7.3 power stroke. All fords seem to have issues if the oil is not keep clean. Part of that is the DPF IMO

Yep 7.3 was bulletproof and worshipped like VW’s MK4 with ALH engine code being 1.9 liters at 90 hp and 150 tq or 1970’s-1985 Mercedes Benz Diesel.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Lol, like jellowsubmarine said.... I had 2011 JSW with DPF/EGR until 180k miles and ditched for deleted DPF downpipe and EGR delete kit with stage 2 malone tune and whoa! Totally different animal. You can keep it and tune it on stage 2 then flash to stock if you return to vw for warranty but you might get caught and void warranty.
That's my hope as I'm actively stressing to get the hell out of this overregulated state.

What power, mpg, drivability differences did you see?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Yep I moved the heck outta there in 2004 and moved to Florida and never look back. I still have family there so I go visit them once a year or once few years as budget permitting.

When 2011 JSW was stock, she made 42 mpg with AC on and AC off average 47 mpg with a great deal of struggle to keep heavy foot off LOL I average 500-500 miles per tank as 80 percent highway ans 20 city as usual for my work as an videophone technician hence why I need the JSW to haul the equipments around.

After deleted, I get easily 50 plus MPG and average 750 miles per tank but I tend to fill up at 1/4 tank with 100-125 miles left with trip mileage saying 600-650 miles. Then later added CP3, it improved starting, acceleration to be smooth and little more hard pulls when going WOT.

Someone mentioned 20 hp increase with CP3 installed. Haven’t seen dyno result..... yet.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I do not think there is a HUGE difference in these as far as engine longevity is concerned, just far less stressful regarding the random component failures. Post-fix cars seem to be worse for this. MILs were somewhat common on CR TDIs before, now they are almost a guarantee. I'm sure the dealers have to be buried with emissions warranty claims now.

It is industry wide, though. Some are worse than others for sure. The 4 cyl Sprinters (the whole three model years we could get them) seem to be pretty good, which is why I felt good about buying one. But if it so much as asks for more than $200 to fix anything, it is getting deleted and tuned. I have no tolerance for unreliable vehicles that eat money. I guess my VE and PD TDIs have spoiled me in that regard. No breakdowns, no "reduced power mode", and no MILs.

gorms400

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta, 11 Sportwagen
... But if it so much as asks for more than $200 to fix anything, it is getting deleted and tuned. I have no tolerance for unreliable vehicles that eat money. I guess my VE and PD TDIs have spoiled me in that regard. No breakdowns, no "reduced power mode", and no MILs.

This is exactly my thinking.

Correct about the 7.3, my foreman had one that sold with 375k, saw it driving around for a few years after.

My 5.9 Cummins' have been good as well, one injector pump at 240k on the 12v because of bad fuel. Truck constantly pulls too much weight, used to go to tracks/sled pulls etc.

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
But if it so much as asks for more than $200 to fix anything, it is getting deleted and tuned. I have no tolerance for unreliable vehicles that eat money. I guess my VE and PD TDIs have spoiled me in that regard. No breakdowns, no "reduced power mode", and no MILs.
Yup, the ALH was and is an amazing engine. I do think the CJAA / 2010-2014 JSW could be a worthy successor to that mantle, once certain parts "rust off" or you "hit a pothole" in just the right way.

I don't believe that any warranty is worth the paper it is printed on - I've experienced this personally and the fighting that the company will do before paying a nickel... Isn't worth the results. And then you get the risk of what ELSE did they break / not do right while they had your car.

My 2014 got 37mpg at 80mph all the way home the day I bought it. It also did 2 full regens within 20 miles and 2 days (I let it idle until it was well finished both times) just before Christmas... And that was enough wasting fuel for me, thanks.

VW sold a car after "fixing" it that already had a mostly-full DPF. After reading and understanding that these aren't an emissions control but actually just an emissions STORAGE device that MUST be physically removed eventually to be cleaned.... I hit a pothole. Now my JSW gets 45mpg at 80 with spirited driving and haven't had a single maintenance issue since - and I'm already into my second oil change since the pothole.

gorms400

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta, 11 Sportwagen
So it has done a regen cycle near the end of the first tank of fuel, maybe around 1/4 tank and again at 3/4 of next tank. Of course starting about 2 miles from home each time. I did continue to drive for 15 min to clear up the regen. Wasting fuel between the regen itself and going for an extra ride is pushing me closer to a full delete.

Mileage has been pretty good actually, 37-38 calculated. Good mix of around town, highway, and Italian tune up driving.

Does a full delete help with the intercooler icing I read about? I live in southeast Massachusetts, and winter weather is all over the place. Saw snow at my mother's house today for instance. Car fax shows the car had a hard/no start situation in January, in New Hampshire.

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
A new dpf was part of the fix, how do you know it was full?
The car had 168k miles on it when I bought it, and I have Vag-Com. I don't remember the exact reading it told me, but it wasn't "new" by any stretch of the imagination.

Also the simple performance difference before and after... Either I had a potato stuffed up the tailpipe or something else was blocking it. The math isn't hard to do.

37mpg before. 45mpg now, same roads, same driving style.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It's not clear that a deleted TDI will show emissions readiness in Massachusetts. It may show "not installed" for some components and pass inspection in year one, but be referred to a MAC center in year two. But no one seems sure. Tuners say they can have the car show readiness, and we know of a deleted Chevy Cruze that passed inspection this year, but we don't know if it'll get through next year. So proceed with caution.

Yai

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, 2014 Touareg- R Line
I just got my car stage 2 tuned, and it is such a blast to drive. I went with JR Stage 2 tune, and pulls real hard. My dpf, egr cooler, intercooler were all changed via warranty. I decided to keep all my emission components intact, since they were replaced. If it does start giving me any issues, I’ll go with the “off-road use”

In the meantime, the throttle response fees like it’s instantaneous, and not sure if it makes a difference, but my car feels like it runs smoother? I also got timing belt, water pump, and fuel filter change. That could also be why it feels “healthier” haha!

Cheers,

Ron

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
I just got my car stage 2 tuned, and it is such a blast to drive. I went with JR Stage 2 tune, and pulls real hard. My dpf, egr cooler, intercooler were all changed via warranty. I decided to keep all my emission components intact, since they were replaced. If it does start giving me any issues, I’ll go with the “off-road use”

In the meantime, the throttle response fees like it’s instantaneous, and not sure if it makes a difference, but my car feels like it runs smoother? I also got timing belt, water pump, and fuel filter change. That could also be why it feels “healthier” haha!

Cheers,

Ron
How many miles on the car?