Currently deciding btw 2014 and 2013 JSW TDi....need advice!

S1C EM

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen
Hi all,

I need some input from people more knowledge than me. We have a dealer in my area that has a number of JSW TDi’s that they are getting from VW post-emissions modification. I have settled on two and need some help.

Option 1: CPO 2013 JSW TDi, toffee brown, 34k, Navi and pano; 1-owner in NC seems to have kept it until turning in to VW. Only issues I see on Carfax ever checked was a hard start/no start fairly early on in ownership. $14,500 OTD.

Option 2: CPO 2014 JSW TDi, tornado red, 27k, Navi and pano; 2-owner, 1st in NJ, 2nd in MO. 1st only kept it for a year and a half, which is a little concerning, but no negative comments on service records other than checked TPMS system (which seems like a minor thing). $15,000 OTD.

I have read that the 2014 was equipped with electro-mechanical power steering, which should be a plus with no fluids, hoses or maintenance. Am I correct that this is the case and the 2013 has a hydraulic system?

I’ve also read some folks here applauding people not getting the pano roof. I actually want the pano, but why is it being shunned so much here? And, what can be done to fix whatever that issue is?

Both are DSG, btw.

And one obscure thought....are there any issues with either paint color? Any known defects or other wear factors to consider?

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:

Mateo92807

TDI
2005 Jetta GLS TDI/2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I would look around, I just bought a 2013 with 55K miles for under 9K out the door. I've seen some others around here selling in the high 10 range with about 32K on them.

Mine has the Pano too, I like it a lot, but we'll see come summer time, the screen looks to me like it lets in too much light, I would have preferred solid.

S1C EM

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen
I would look around, I just bought a 2013 with 55K miles for under 9K out the door. I've seen some others around here selling in the high 10 range with about 32K on them.

Mine has the Pano too, I like it a lot, but we'll see come summer time, the screen looks to me like it lets in too much light, I would have preferred solid.
I've looked in a 300 mile radius and not seen anything close to that price, OTD. Certainly not CPO. I'd call that a spectacular deal, really. They have come off their initial asking prices about $800 which is fine with me. It's still a very good deal, comparatively speaking.

Mateo92807

TDI
2005 Jetta GLS TDI/2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Man I thought cars in California were more expensive than just about everywhere else. I guess if the market isn't flooded they can ask for more. I see the 13's here selling in 11 range by the handfull. I would also check out cargurus, they will show you the lowest price w/in your range. Best of luck

S1C EM

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen
Man I thought cars in California were more expensive than just about everywhere else. I guess if the market isn't flooded they can ask for more. I see the 13's here selling in 11 range by the handfull. I would also check out cargurus, they will show you the lowest price w/in your range. Best of luck
It doesn't seem that all the dealers here in GA are taking advantage of the opportunity to buy these from VW. My local dealer in Athens doesn't have any JSW TDis on their lot. I'm having to go about 45 miles out to get to any CPO offerings. Don't get me wrong, they have some in the $11k range if I'm willing to up mileage to about 60k. I'm just trying to keep that figure low since I do a good bit of driving daily and want to keep this thing for a long time. The actual price is a hair over $13k. The $14.5 is with taxes and fees and, here in GA, you pay a set, one-time "ad valorem" up front now instead of each year, so that gets added in, too.

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT Pano (Sold), 2015 Golf S 4DR 6MT (Sold), 1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
Tough choice, I'm in the market for one of these as well, but have had a somewhat difficult time finding what I'm looking for. I'm very particular. I'd be cautious and check very thoroughly for rust on the car from NJ. My biggest struggle has been finding a car from the south. That aside, I would probably pick the red car, only because I like tornado red better! The older tornado red cars had clear coat issues, but I would assume that's been resolved by now. I'm talking MKIV cars. Anyway, good luck with your purchase!

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Those cars are so similar that it would come down to condition for me. I'd look them over and take whichever one looked cleaner. If the 2014 has the backup cam then I think that is a nice feature to get. Or pick the color you like best.

Good point that OTD prices are different depending on where you are. The $13k range for a 2013 or 2014 CPO doesn't seem way out of line.

Zygote Bros

TDI
2014 JSW TDI
The 2014 does have the backup camera, 2013 does not. I thought it was useful. Otherwise, I agree it depends upon which car is in better condition and what color you like.

S1C EM

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen
Those cars are so similar that it would come down to condition for me. I'd look them over and take whichever one looked cleaner. If the 2014 has the backup cam then I think that is a nice feature to get. Or pick the color you like best.

Good point that OTD prices are different depending on where you are. The $13k range for a 2013 or 2014 CPO doesn't seem way out of line.
Thank you both! I just looked at the listings for each and noticed the red one says "Backup Camera" while the brown one does not. Did the '13s not offer them?

Also, is the power steering system different for each and should that be a concern?

The brown one is from the south, BTW. North Carolina. The red one being from the north concerns me, but would it pass CPO inspection if there were rust?

S1C EM

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen
The 2014 does have the backup camera, 2013 does not. I thought it was useful. Otherwise, I agree it depends upon which car is in better condition and what color you like.
Guess that answers that question. I like both colors, for what it's worth. The brown is more refined, while the red is sportier feeling. Honestly, I'm leaning red because of the camera and power steering system (if there is, in fact, a difference). That first owner situation and being from up north is slightly concerning, though.:(

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT Pano (Sold), 2015 Golf S 4DR 6MT (Sold), 1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
Thank you both! I just looked at the listings for each and noticed the red one says "Backup Camera" while the brown one does not. Did the '13s not offer them?
Also, is the power steering system different for each and should that be a concern?
The brown one is from the south, BTW. North Carolina. The red one being from the north concerns me, but would it pass CPO inspection if there were rust?
Correct, only 2014s have the backup camera. I have not heard of a difference in power steering. I could be wrong though. Yes, it would pass CPO inspection with rust, I have looked at several CPO cars with rust. Nothing bad, just surface rust on a lot of underbody components. It's mostly the rust on fasteners that I'm concerned about. Oilhammer has a good write up on things to look for on cars that have been sitting.

S1C EM

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen
Correct, only 2014s have the backup camera. I have not heard of a difference in power steering. I could be wrong though. Yes, it would pass CPO inspection with rust, I have looked at several CPO cars with rust. Nothing bad, just surface rust on a lot of underbody components. It's mostly the rust on fasteners that I'm concerned about. Oilhammer has a good write up on things to look for on cars that have been sitting.
Where is that write-up?

FYI, I’m going to see both cars tomorrow. Sales guy says the brown one is a little cleaner on the inside. I’ve asked him to elaborate. I’m really concerned with how much I may miss that backup cam if I choose the ‘13.

He just emailed again after I asked for clarification. Says the red ones floor mat are more worn. I asked if they could simply swap them out assuming I choose red.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
It does seem the prices here are cheaper. But then there are fewer smart people here in comifornia, aside from you and I.;)

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Hi all,

I need some input from people more knowledge than me. We have a dealer in my area that has a number of JSW TDi’s that they are getting from VW post-emissions modification. I have settled on two and need some help.

Option 1: CPO 2013 JSW TDi, toffee brown, 34k, Navi and pano; 1-owner in NC seems to have kept it until turning in to VW. Only issues I see on Carfax ever checked was a hard start/no start fairly early on in ownership. $14,500 OTD.

Option 2: CPO 2014 JSW TDi, tornado red, 27k, Navi and pano; 2-owner, 1st in NJ, 2nd in MO. 1st only kept it for a year and a half, which is a little concerning, but no negative comments on service records other than checked TPMS system (which seems like a minor thing). $15,000 OTD.

I have read that the 2014 was equipped with electro-mechanical power steering, which should be a plus with no fluids, hoses or maintenance. Am I correct that this is the case and the 2013 has a hydraulic system?

I’ve also read some folks here applauding people not getting the pano roof. I actually want the pano, but why is it being shunned so much here? And, what can be done to fix whatever that issue is?

Both are DSG, btw.

And one obscure thought....are there any issues with either paint color? Any known defects or other wear factors to consider?

Any help is appreciated!
I have 2011 w/ electric ps, I would "assume" they all have it.

I love my pano, they do get hot tho. I ceramic tinted it right away. After putting a new battery in the roof was binding and very difficult to close. This is common it seems and there is a very simple way to recalibrate.

The DSG seems very proven but it is vital to service every 40k

My 11 is red. I love the color personally. I have both experienced and heard red oxidizes quicker than most. of couse if its always maintained it can last.

Test the a/c carefully the rcv on the compressor seems to be a common failure. Take a pocket thermo. and see how fast and low the temp. gets. if it only gets to 60+- it most likely is the rcv. Good news is CPO warrenty seems to have no issue covering this according to the post I've read here. I'll soon have to deal with mine

My vote 2014
lower mile
more/better features like rear suspention & b/u cam (only 14')
red
just get the price down, although that seems the going $ there.

Last edited:

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Ok, I came from a 2011 JSW TDI to 2014 JSW TDI. 2014 came from NJ and zero rust, not kidding as she had 27k miles and sat for 2 years and always struggled to start after one-2 seconds of cranking and she was slightly noisy when I got her which I thought it was DSG whining all along but after 5 HPFP failures, it was actually the fuel pumps.

Before the 5th HPFP happened at the service garage, the DSG noise was getting a lot worse than she was when I bought her in Late Aug 2018.

When HPFP went after I dropped her off for the noisy issue and few other things I wanted them to do then they find out it was mold inside the fuel tank that caused all this all along so they cleaned it up and replaced in-tank pump along with HPFP and fuel meter valve and sensor(s).

After replacement, they test drove her and heard no issues. I was like uh what the heck? So Ever since I picked her up, 2 weeks and zero noise. Wow! It was in-tank all along with HPFP whining somehow that vibrated the whole car. I could feel the steering wheel with it.

Anyway that being said, please keep a eye on any TDI you buy due to sitting for an extended period. Also my old 2011 had electric steering but no rear view camera. 2014 are included. 2013 was optional I believe for extra cost.

Also keep a eye on the pano roof as they are infamous for leaking into the interior and like jellowsubmarine said about the pano.

I got my 2014 JSW at 27k out of the door at $15k at St Augustine VW, that dealership offers lowest pricing out of all Florida stealerships. Reason why I call the St Augustine as “dealership” is because they werent trying to be snakes with me and was generous and gave me 40k and 50k miles service for free as I was being nice and courteous. I made their dealing a walk in the park with me. So I told them I will refer hardcore TDI fans to buy from you guys. They said please do! :) I looked underbody carefully and zero rust anywhere. Was owned by a lady and well taken care of. Interior looks mint and smelled nice and new-ish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW DSG and '11 JSW DSG
It doesn't seem that all the dealers here in GA are taking advantage of the opportunity to buy these from VW. My local dealer in Athens doesn't have any JSW TDis on their lot. I'm having to go about 45 miles out to get to any CPO offerings. Don't get me wrong, they have some in the $11k range if I'm willing to up mileage to about 60k. I'm just trying to keep that figure low since I do a good bit of driving daily and want to keep this thing for a long time. The actual price is a hair over $13k. The $14.5 is with taxes and fees and, here in GA, you pay a set, one-time "ad valorem" up front now instead of each year, so that gets added in, too.

Check out Stone Mountain VW - of the ATL area dealerships they had the best selection and prices for CPO cars. They seem heavy on sedans right now but when I bought (both cars in my sig are from Stone Mountain VW) they had a boatload of Sportwagens. Chatting with them during both purchases they mentioned that VW dealers have first pick of the litter during the auctions with the non-VW dealers getting what is left - they may be able to find exactly you what you want as the cars come out of purgatory.

Like someone above said make sure the A/C is cooling. Its a common enough problem for a TSB to be issued for cars equipped with the Sanden compressor where it will cool great once you plop on the freeway but won't cool at idle or stop and go speeds. (Denso equipped cars are apparently immune).

The only thing I will say is after owning two cars from the Northeast (PA and NY) I would say skip them, not worth it when there are plenty of southern cars to be had. My '99 Plymouth Neon that spent 3 years in Pennsylvania before I picked it up in Florida could not be aligned because no shop could break any of the suspension bolts loose and my '11 MB E350 had major corrosion all over the exterior engine block (just a visual issue) after spending 6-7 years in NY. Trust me - having family in Northern Minnesota I ask them year after year how they feel about having to throw their cars in the garbage because of rust. Being you are in Georgia go for a southern car.

S1C EM

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen
The DSG seems very proven but it is vital to service every 40k

My 11 is red. I love the color personally. I have both experienced and heard red oxidizes quicker than most. of couse if its always maintained it can last.

Test the a/c carefully the rcv on the compressor seems to be a common failure. Take a pocket thermo. and see how fast and low the temp. gets. if it only gets to 60+- it most likely is the rcv. Good news is CPO warrenty seems to have no issue covering this according to the post I've read here. I'll soon have to deal with mine

My vote 2014
lower mile
more/better features like rear suspention & b/u cam (only 14')
red
just get the price down, although that seems the going $ there.
Good info here, thank you. Tell me, is the rear suspension different? I thought so at first, but I’m reading up more on this, it seems only the sedan didn’t have the independent suspension in 2013. The change in 2014 supposedly didn’t apply to the JSW which already had it.

Here’s where I found the info on that and the power steering: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cars.com/amp/articles/2013/07/2014-volkswagen-jetta-whats-changed/

S1C EM

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen
Check out Stone Mountain VW - of the ATL area dealerships they had the best selection and prices for CPO cars.
As of this moment, they have three in stock (versus 11 or 12 at Jim Ellis) and pricing is pretty much identical. :(. I was hoping. I’ll keep my eyes peeled, but today is probably the day I decide.

Honestly, I’m really leaning toward the brown 2013 one. I’m concerned about the red one being from the north, having an owner trade it in on a Mercedes after a year and a half, and why the floor and cargo mats were ragged out after only 27k. It screams DOG. Nothing wrong with that, but if I have the option to purchase otherwise, why not?

The only negative on the brown one is no backup camera.

For those without a backup cam, has it been a major inconvenience for you, assuming you have had one before or have another car with it? I don’t want an aftermarket one installed, so if I don’t get one, I just won’t have it.

First world problems, I suppose.......:)

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
As of this moment, they have three in stock (versus 11 or 12 at Jim Ellis) and pricing is pretty much identical. :(. I was hoping. I’ll keep my eyes peeled, but today is probably the day I decide.
Honestly, I’m really leaning toward the brown 2013 one. I’m concerned about the red one being from the north, having an owner trade it in on a Mercedes after a year and a half, and why the floor and cargo mats were ragged out after only 27k. It screams DOG. Nothing wrong with that, but if I have the option to purchase otherwise, why not?
The only negative on the brown one is no backup camera.
For those without a backup cam, has it been a major inconvenience for you, assuming you have had one before or have another car with it? I don’t want an aftermarket one installed, so if I don’t get one, I just won’t have it.
First world problems, I suppose.......:)
Here is the link to oilhammer's post:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=5490412

Suspension is the same for all JSWs, only the Jetta sedans got the cheaper suspensions for a couple of years. I'm in the same boat, where I want a '14 mostly for the backup camera. I wouldn't care if my current car didn't have one, but I don't think I could go back to not having one haha

S1C EM

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=5490412
Suspension is the same for all JSWs, only the Jetta sedans got the cheaper suspensions for a couple of years. I'm in the same boat, where I want a '14 mostly for the backup camera. I wouldn't care if my current car didn't have one, but I don't think I could go back to not having one haha
Well, got a scare this morning. Went to look at the carfax for both vehicles and the brown one was gone. Found out they pulled it offline for me, though.....LOL

Here's the Carfax on the red one:

Detailed History

Owner 1
Purchased:
Type:
Personal
Where:
New Jersey
Est. miles/year:
12,878/yr
Est. length owned:
9/30/14 -
3/19/16
(1 yr. 5 mo.)

Low mileage! This owner drove less than the industry average of 15,000 miles per year.

Date:
Mileage:
Source:
Comments:
Not Reported

NICB
Vehicle manufactured
and shipped to New Jersey
05/19/2014
Gene Langan VW
Glastonbury, CT
860-633-0261
langanvw.com

42 Verified Reviews
Vehicle offered for sale
09/25/2014

Douglas Auto Group
douglasautonet.com
Vehicle offered for sale
09/29/2014
Douglas Auto Group
Summit, NJ
908-277-3300
douglasvw.com

49 Verified Reviews
Vehicle sold
09/29/2014
Douglas Auto Group
Summit, NJ
908-277-3300
douglasvw.com

49 Verified Reviews
Pre-delivery inspection completed
09/30/2014

New Jersey
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Maplewood, NJ
Registration issued or renewed
Vehicle color noted as Red
10/04/2014

New Jersey
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Lebanon, NJ
Title #GD20142770261
Title issued or updated
First owner reported
Titled or registered as
personal vehicle
Loan or lien reported
12/13/2014
Douglas Auto Group
Summit, NJ
908-277-3300
douglasvw.com

49 Verified Reviews
Tire condition and pressure checked
02/11/2015

Gene Langan VW
Glastonbury, CT
860-633-0261
langanvw.com

42 Verified Reviews
02/16/2015
Douglas Auto Group
Summit, NJ
908-277-3300
douglasvw.com

49 Verified Reviews
Tire pressure monitoring system checked
03/31/2015

Douglas Auto Group
Summit, NJ
908-277-3300
douglasvw.com

49 Verified Reviews
Tire pressure monitoring system checked
05/20/2015
Douglas Auto Group
Summit, NJ
908-277-3300
douglasvw.com

49 Verified Reviews
10,000 mile service performed
One tire replaced
07/31/2015

New Jersey
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Maplewood, NJ
03/19/2016

Ray Catena Mercedes Benz Union
Union, NJ
908-379-7200
raycatena.com
Vehicle offered for sale
03/21/2016
Auto Auction
Pennsylvania
Listed as a dealer vehicle
Vehicle sold at auction

Millions of used vehicles are bought and sold at auction every year.
03/21/2016

Ray Catena Mercedes Benz
Edison, NJ
732-549-6600
raycatenamercedes.co
m
Vehicle offered for sale
04/04/2016
Missouri
Inspection Station
Saint Peters, MO
Passed emissions inspection
04/12/2016

New Jersey
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Edison, NJ
Title #DA20161030352
Title issued or updated
Dealer took title of this vehicle
while it was in inventory
07/21/2016

Missouri
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Vehicle purchase reported
07/21/2016
Service Plan Co.
Saint Louis, MO
Service contract issued

Owner 2
Purchased:
Type:
Personal
Where:
Missouri, Michigan
Est. miles/year:
1/yr
Est. length owned:
7/28/16 -
3/13/19
(2 yrs. 7 mo.)

Low mileage! This owner drove less than the industry average of 15,000 miles per year.

VOLKSWAGEN
Date:
Mileage:
Source:
Comments:
07/28/2016

Missouri
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Saint Louis, MO
Title #TEN91835
Title issued or updated
New owner reported
01/11/2017

Missouri
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Saint Louis, MO
Title #TEN91835
04/12/2017
Michigan
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Auburn Hills, MI
Title #609F1011000
Title or registration issued
to manufacturer
03/13/2019
Dealer Inventory
Vehicle offered for sale
03/22/2019
Jim Ellis Volkswagen of Atlanta
Atlanta, GA
770-458-6811
jimellisvwatlanta.co
m/used-inventory/ind
ex.htm

149 Verified Reviews
Maintenance inspection completed
Four wheel alignment performed
Computer reprogrammed
Wiper(s) replaced
Emissions inspection performed
03/25/2019

Volkswagen
Emissions control software updated
EPA approved TDI emissions modification performed

Covered by Volkswagen Extended Emissions Warranty
03/26/2019

Volkswagen Certified Dealer
Atlanta, GA
Offered for sale as a Volkswagen Certified Pre-Owned vehicle

Tornado red exterior
Beige interior

Certification includes:
100+ -Point inspection
2 yr/24-hour roadside assistance
Model Specific Limited Warranty Coverage
05/08/2019

myCARFAX
Manufacturer Recommended Maintenance Schedules

Last edited:

S1C EM

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen
Sorry, I know that was a lot. Trying to trim this one down a bit. Here's the brown one:

Detailed History

Owner 1
Purchased:
Type:
Personal
Where:
North Carolina, Michigan
Est. miles/year:
6,016/yr
Est. length owned:
7/11/13 -
4/6/19
(5 yrs. 8 mo.)

Date:
Mileage:
Source:
Comments:
Not Reported

NICB
Vehicle manufactured
and shipped to North Carolina
06/25/2013

Keffer Jeep Chrysler
Charlotte, NC
704-532-1050
kefferjeep.com

41 Verified Reviews
Vehicle offered for sale
06/26/2013

Keffer Volkswagen
Huntersville, NC
704-766-2121
keffervw.com

41 Verified Reviews
06/27/2013
Keffer Volkswagen
Huntersville, NC
704-766-2121
keffervw.com

41 Verified Reviews
Vehicle sold
07/11/2013

North Carolina
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Huntersville, NC
Title #779619131924218
First owner reported
Titled or registered as
personal vehicle
08/06/2013
Keffer Volkswagen
Huntersville, NC
704-766-2121
keffervw.com

41 Verified Reviews
Recommended maintenance performed
11/06/2013
Keffer Volkswagen
Huntersville, NC
704-766-2121
keffervw.com

41 Verified Reviews
11/15/2013

Keffer Volkswagen
Huntersville, NC
704-766-2121
keffervw.com

41 Verified Reviews
06/09/2014
Keffer Volkswagen
Huntersville, NC
704-766-2121
keffervw.com

41 Verified Reviews
No-start/hard start condition checked
06/30/2014

Keffer Volkswagen
Huntersville, NC
704-766-2121
keffervw.com

41 Verified Reviews
No-start/hard start condition checked
07/28/2014
Griffin Brothers Tire and Auto
Cornelius, NC
704-896-8473
griffinbrothers.com

22 Verified Reviews
Oil and filter changed
Tires rotated
Safety inspection performed
Fluids checked
07/28/2014

North Carolina
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Huntersville, NC
Title #779619131924218
10/28/2014
Keffer Volkswagen
Huntersville, NC
704-766-2121
keffervw.com

41 Verified Reviews
20,000 mile service performed
Alignment checked
07/01/2015
Cornelius, NC
704-896-8473
griffinbrothers.com

22 Verified Reviews
07/01/2015

North Carolina
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Huntersville, NC
Title #779619131924218
01/20/2016
Keffer Volkswagen
Huntersville, NC
704-766-2121
keffervw.com

41 Verified Reviews
30,000 mile service performed
06/29/2016
Cornelius, NC
704-896-8473
griffinbrothers.com

22 Verified Reviews
06/29/2016

North Carolina
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Huntersville, NC
Title #779619131924218
04/28/2017
Michigan
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Auburn Hills, MI
Title #609F1172296
to manufacturer
04/06/2019

Dealer Inventory
Vehicle offered for sale
04/29/2019
Atlanta, GA
770-458-6811
jimellisvwatlanta.co
m/used-inventory/ind
ex.htm

149 Verified Reviews
Air filter replaced
Cabin air filter replaced/cleaned
Fuel filter replaced
Four tires balanced
Four tires mounted
Computer reprogrammed
Wiper(s) replaced
Rear wiper blade replaced
05/08/2019

myCARFAX
Manufacturer Recommended Maintenance Schedules

S1C EM

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen
And here is a darkhorse brown one I found from Tampa (that ironically started out being sold from Jim Ellis where I'm going). More mileage, but is a '14. Records are clean, but pics of the engine bay and interior didn't look nearly as clean as the one up here. I'd have to have it shipped sight unseen. However, it's $2,700 less......hmmm.....

Detailed History

Owner 1
Purchased:
Type:
Personal
Where:
Georgia, Michigan
Est. miles/year:
10,574/yr
Est. length owned:
12/31/13 -
3/22/19
(5 yrs. 2 mo.)

VOLKSWAGEN
Date:
Mileage:
Source:
Comments:
Not Reported

NICB
Vehicle manufactured
and shipped to Georgia
09/26/2013
Atlanta, GA
770-458-6811
jimellisvwatlanta.co
m

149 Verified Reviews
Vehicle offered for sale
09/30/2013

Atlanta, GA
770-458-6811
jimellisvwatlanta.co
m/used-inventory/ind
ex.htm

149 Verified Reviews
12/31/2013
Atlanta, GA
770-458-6811
jimellisvwatlanta.co
m/used-inventory/ind
ex.htm

149 Verified Reviews
Vehicle sold
12/31/2013

Georgia
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Vehicle purchase reported
Titled or registered as
personal vehicle
01/07/2014

Georgia
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Doerun, GA
Title #772569140078963
Title issued or updated
First owner reported
Loan or lien reported
Vehicle color noted as Brown
01/20/2014
Service Facility
Vehicle serviced
01/20/2014

O'Steen Volkswagen Subaru
Valdosta, GA
229-242-9920
valdostavw.com/

13 Verified Reviews
Vehicle serviced
01/23/2014
Robert Hutson Ford Lincoln
Moultrie, GA
229-985-6603
roberthutson.com

33 Verified Reviews
Vehicle serviced
04/19/2014
AutoNation Volkswagen Columbus
Columbus, GA
706-522-2148
autonationvolkswagen
columbus.com

26 Verified Reviews
Vehicle serviced
08/20/2014

Georgia
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Doerun, GA
Title #772569140078963
Loan or lien reported
09/13/2014
Columbus, GA
706-522-2148
autonationvolkswagen
columbus.com

26 Verified Reviews
20,000 mile service performed
05/09/2015
Columbus, GA
706-522-2148
autonationvolkswagen
columbus.com

26 Verified Reviews
Oil and filter changed
Tires rotated
07/16/2015

Service Facility
Oil and filter changed
Tires rotated
Fuel filter replaced
07/16/2015

O'Steen Volkswagen Subaru
Valdosta, GA
229-242-9920
valdostavw.com/

13 Verified Reviews
Oil and filter changed
Fuel filter replaced
Tires rotated
08/28/2015

Georgia
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Doerun, GA
Title #772569140078963
Loan or lien reported
11/07/2015
Columbus, GA
706-522-2148
autonationvolkswagen
columbus.com

26 Verified Reviews
07/14/2016
Langdale Chevrolet
Sylvester, GA
229-776-3473
langdalechevrolet.co
m
Oil and filter changed
09/09/2016

Georgia
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Doerun, GA
Title #772569140078963
Loan or lien reported
09/01/2017

Georgia
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Doerun, GA
Title #772569140078963
Loan or lien reported
04/13/2018

Georgia
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Doerun, GA
Title #772569140078963
Loan or lien reported
06/02/2018

Georgia
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Doerun, GA
Title #770809181530970
Title issued or updated
Loan or lien released
06/22/2018
Michigan
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Auburn Hills, MI
Title #609G1720127
to manufacturer
03/22/2019

Kuhn Volkswagen
Tampa, FL
813-872-4841
kuhnvw.com

92 Verified Reviews
Vehicle offered for sale
04/04/2019
Kuhn Volkswagen
Tampa, FL
813-872-4841
kuhnvw.com

92 Verified Reviews
Four tires balanced
Four tires mounted
Wiper(s) replaced
Alignment checked
Front wiper blades/refills replaced
Front brake rotor(s) replaced
Front brake pads replaced
Brake rotor(s) replaced
Rear brake pads replaced
Rear brake rotor(s) replaced
04/06/2019

Volkswagen Certified Dealer
Tampa, FL
Offered for sale as a Volkswagen Certified Pre-Owned vehicle

Brown exterior
Beige interior

Certification includes:
100+ -Point inspection
2 yr/24-hour roadside assistance
Model Specific Limited Warranty Coverage
04/09/2019

Volkswagen
Emissions control software updated
EPA approved TDI emissions modification performed

Covered by Volkswagen Extended Emissions Warranty

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
Interesting, that's a lot to look at. Sounds like you're leaning toward the brown one. I personally would be cautious about buying one of these sight unseen. But, it could be worth it. Especially if it is a certified car. Any issues will be covered I suppose. But yes, a thorough inspection seems necessary for these cars.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
http://forums.tdiclub.cdom/showthread.php?p=5490412
My understanding is the 14 has independent. I love my 2011 ride anyway

Last edited:

S1C EM

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen
For what it's worth, I'm likely sticking with my original pick, which is the brown one here near me. I'll know for sure tonight.

Service history was good (had a few thousand added to the odometer prior to storage), one owner, only documented issue on the carfax was the early hard/start issue. Their VW may not have fixed it since it went to a non-dealer a few hundred miles later for the same thing, but it never popped up again after that. Was owned and driven in NC and likely stored close by, perhaps Atlanta. I'm going to look it over good this evening based on Oilhammer's recommendations in his thread (thanks for sharing that, BTW!).

The ONLY thing I am likely to ask them to do is service the tranny. It has 5k miles to go before the 40k interval, but having been sitting for two years, it can't be a bad idea. I won't get the backup camera, but I'll live.:)

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
For what it's worth, I'm likely sticking with my original pick, which is the brown one here near me. I'll know for sure tonight.
Service history was good (had a few thousand added to the odometer prior to storage), one owner, only documented issue on the carfax was the early hard/start issue. Their VW may not have fixed it since it went to a non-dealer a few hundred miles later for the same thing, but it never popped up again after that. Was owned and driven in NC and likely stored close by, perhaps Atlanta. I'm going to look it over good this evening based on Oilhammer's recommendations in his thread (thanks for sharing that, BTW!).
The ONLY thing I am likely to ask them to do is service the tranny. It has 5k miles to go before the 40k interval, but having been sitting for two years, it can't be a bad idea. I won't get the backup camera, but I'll live.:)
awesome! Sounds like you've got a good plan. I would definitely see if you can urge them to throw in the DSG service before you buy. I hope it all goes well, seems like you've found the car!

S1C EM

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen
awesome! Sounds like you've got a good plan. I would definitely see if you can urge them to throw in the DSG service before you buy. I hope it all goes well, seems like you've found the car!
I hope so! I did just call their servicing dealer about the hard start thing. It only showed up once in their system (I misread earlier...they took it to that dealer twice according to carfax, not a third-party). They said the battery was charged for an hour and a half, tested and worked. Left it overnight and tested it the next morning and it worked again. It was also in June, so I don't think there was an intercooler freezing issue at play there.

The last oil change was done at 23,000ish miles. They did services early, which is good. First at 3,500, then 8,000 (10k service), 14,800, 17,500 (20k service), and lastly 23,200 (30k service).

No oil change was listed as part of the reconditioning at the current dealer so I'll ask to have the oil change and DSG serviced. Then I will do oil at 5k intervals. I assume I could then let the DSG go to 80k (5k over 40) and do the next service at the proper mileage? Dealer did already replace the fuel filter.

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
I hope so! I did just call their servicing dealer about the hard start thing. It only showed up once in their system (I misread earlier...they took it to that dealer twice according to carfax, not a third-party). They said the battery was charged for an hour and a half, tested and worked. Left it overnight and tested it the next morning and it worked again. It was also in June, so I don't think there was an intercooler freezing issue at play there.
The last oil change was done at 23,000ish miles. They did services early, which is good. First at 3,500, then 8,000 (10k service), 14,800, 17,500 (20k service), and lastly 23,200 (30k service).
No oil change was listed as part of the reconditioning at the current dealer so I'll ask to have the oil change and DSG serviced. Then I will do oil at 5k intervals. I assume I could then let the DSG go to 80k (5k over 40) and do the next service at the proper mileage? Dealer did already replace the fuel filter.
Gotcha. Most of the cars I've seen have had oil changes done as part of the service, but I would definitely verify. It's also worth asking to see if they'll do a brake fluid flush, which should likely be done anyway, and check tires for dry rot. At 27k, tires may be likely near replacement anyway. I've read that VW has authorized dealers to do oil change, brake fluid flush, tires, and brakes as part of the fix if the cars need it. I'm not sure about letting the DSG service go to 80k, it's probably fine, but I'm not too familiar with DSG.