ACTUAL purchases of '15 USED (buyback) TDIs

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
And dont forget to cancel the friggin "trial" Sirius subscription on day one.
Huh? Why not make use of it. I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would. Still on the fence if I'll pay when it's expired.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Huh? Why not make use of it. I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would. Still on the fence if I'll pay when it's expired.
Therein lies the rub. It doesnt "expire". They auto enroll you, at bazillion dollars a month, unless you cancel well in advance of "trial" expiration date :)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Therein lies the rub. It doesnt "expire". They auto enroll you, at bazillion dollars a month, unless you cancel well in advance of "trial" expiration date :)
I don't think this is correct. On both my '12 and now my '15 I just ignored enrollment emails and never used Sirius. Wasn't ever charged.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
Sure hope they changed their devious ways, but I got nicked by this crap a while back.

I got the bill. Called them. They wuz like "sorry, but it plainly states you will be auto-enrolled at the end of trial period, at the rate we choose, in 4 point font on page 53 of the trial agreement that was in your car document package"

I am sure dealers are richly compensated for suckering ppl in

Last edited:

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
Huh. So they enroll me and then send me a bill?

I've already created an entry in my calendar for a week before it expires to give them a call. Apparently you can get it for $6.25 a month (for 6 months) if you threaten to leave. At that pricepoint I'll consider it. Not for $16.

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
Be prepared for a long talk. They don't like to give up. Even afterwards you will have to deal with calls/junk mail/emails.
100% agree, I still get junk emails/ mail 2 years after I bought my car.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
I don't think this is correct. On both my '12 and now my '15 I just ignored enrollment emails and never used Sirius. Wasn't ever charged.
Ditto, and they don't have any way to charge me anyway. Same happened when my wife bought her Mustang five years ago. Occasionally my Sirius receivers go active for a few weeks (for a trial), and then go back off. I do get mail from them, which goes right into the trash.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
That's my point. They don't have a payment method. I don't open any of their mail or respond to their emails. And I won't ever use Sirius in my car.

VWMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6M RIP, 2015 GSW SE TDI 6M, 2015 Q7 TDI
I you never set up an account with Sirius they cannot charge you for anything. Some of these cars are coming with the Sirius already active. If you have no account and the Sirius is active, go ahead and use it, it's free. At some point it will stop working, could be a few weeks or a few years, you never know.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
they have your address, will bill you, pile late charges on, send it to collection. That will wipe out ~100 points off your FICO. There goes that house you wanted etc etc etc.

So be careful !

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
they have your address, will bill you, pile late charges on, send it to collection. That will wipe out ~100 points off your FICO. There goes that house you wanted etc etc etc.
(citation needed).

I've bought two cars within the last year that came with a Sirius trial subscription. I've gotten plenty of junk mail asking me to subscribe, but nothing that looks at all like a bill. Stop spreading FUD.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
(citation needed).

I've bought two cars within the last year that came with a Sirius trial subscription. I've gotten plenty of junk mail asking me to subscribe, but nothing that looks at all like a bill. Stop spreading FUD.
This is correct.

I believe the salesman 'activated' my account for the free trial on my 2016 GSW. I never used it, got many, many mailings warning me of the expiration. Ignored all of them, never received a bill. No CC on file for them to charge. No issues. Just wasted paper on the mailings on their part.

If YOU [r11] signed up for a "free trial" and gave them your CC, that's on you.

toneman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW

So be careful !
I pay annually by check and so get a renewal notice once a year. Don't ever give them a credit card number or they will auto-enroll you. I think when you pay by credit card there's fine print saying you agree to auto re-enrollment.

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
Sirius does not automatically enroll you in anything at the end of the 3 month trial period. The radio just turns off. Besides if you haven't given Sirius any checking or credit card information, how can they charge you "at bazillion dollars a month". I have had 3 trial periods that the dealer activated and all I got at the end of the trials was a lot of junk emails trying to get me to sign up. Also to say they "they have your address, will bill you, pile late charges on, send it to collection". I never got a bill from them and if you read the trial fine print on Sirus, they legally can't bill you for anything unless you call or go on line to sign up for a subscription. We just purchased a 2017 Passat TSI with Tech. and the 3 month trial ended and nothing but email promotion offers.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Sure hope they changed their devious ways, but I got nicked by this crap a while back.

I got the bill. Called them. They wuz like "sorry, but it plainly states you will be auto-enrolled at the end of trial period, at the rate we choose, in 4 point font on page 53 of the trial agreement that was in your car document package"

I am sure dealers are richly compensated for suckering ppl in
The trial subscriptions have changed over the years. For one car, we had to provide a CC number up front that would then auto renew. For the latest one, no CC and the trial was turned on by the dealer while doing the final prep. At the end of the trail, Sirius channels just stopped working.

CTD_Chevrolet

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta S DSG, '02 Jetta ALH 5spd
My new one came pre-activated. The last new vehicle I dealt with was my dad's '08 chevy, and I believe I did have to provide a CC upfront. When the expiration date on the card changed they cut it off, and I had to pay for the last month of service when I went to reactivate it. They aren't going to turn you into collections over it, they will just charge you a reactivation fee and crap to renew.

If you do enjoy the service, you can ask for the promotional rates when you're up for renewal and they will give them to you. $14 a month is insane, but for $6 a month it's worth it to me.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I received a letter from Sirius yesterday encouraging me to sign up. Said my system was pre-activated for the trial period. I haven't tried it. Subscription they offered is about $200/year. I don't think so.

vee-uu

TDI
('99 Cabrio), '06 Golf HB 5MT, '15 GSW 6MT
Pardon me if this has been answered elsewhere, but what warranty are they providing with the used 2015's? It's not the same as the "new" 2015's is it?
Just signed contract yesterday. Used 2015 GSW 6MT includes remainder of original 3/36 warranty, then standard 2/24 CPO warranty kicks in. Purchased concurrent nine-year extended warranty, so effectively vehicle is covered bumper-to-bumper into 2024. Plus VW's emissions warranty, which brought down the price of the extended warranty. :)

Last edited:

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
you mind sharing the price of xtended wty ? was thinking about it the other day. With emissions covering the bulk of REALLY 'spensive stuff, this one should be just the fraction of what it'd normally cost ?

vee-uu

TDI
('99 Cabrio), '06 Golf HB 5MT, '15 GSW 6MT
you mind sharing the price of xtended wty ? was thinking about it the other day. With emissions covering the bulk of REALLY 'spensive stuff, this one should be just the fraction of what it'd normally cost ?
$2k, normally $3.5k, $100 deductible. SE trim, so panoramic roof and lots of other 'spensive stuff prone to failure over next 7 years.

Last edited:

toneman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW
Just signed contract yesterday. Used 2015 GSW 6MT includes remainder of original 3/36 warranty, then standard 2/24 CPO warranty kicks in. Purchased concurrent nine-year extended warranty, so effectively vehicle is covered bumper-to-bumper into 2024. Plus VW's emissions warranty, which brought down the price of the extended warranty. :)
Never mind :eek:

jibberjive

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 GSW
On the SirusXM conversation, I deal with this every 5 months on multiple cars. You can get 5 months for around $25 if you talk to the cancellation team. When they ask why you are cancelling, just tell them that you can't afford it. Then take the $25 for 5 months offer that they give you and pay by credit card over the phone. At the end of the call, have them take the credit card you just paid with off the account, because, as was mentioned, they auto-enroll you at the regular rate at the end of the 5 months. Make note in your calendar to contact them just before the 5 months expires, and call them to 'cancel' again for another 5 month offer. I've been doing this for a couple of years now.

keith102

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6spd
On the SirusXM conversation, I deal with this every 5 months on multiple cars. You can get 5 months for around $25 if you talk to the cancellation team. When they ask why you are cancelling, just tell them that you can't afford it. Then take the $25 for 5 months offer that they give you and pay by credit card over the phone. At the end of the call, have them take the credit card you just paid with off the account, because, as was mentioned, they auto-enroll you at the regular rate at the end of the 5 months. Make note in your calendar to contact them just before the 5 months expires, and call them to 'cancel' again for another 5 month offer. I've been doing this for a couple of years now.
I've been doing the same thing for the last few years as well

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, took my baby home :) - '15 Passat SE 6MT TDI.

About 100 miles drive, lots of stop'n'go - 56 (!!!) MPG

They brought another one back from The Edge of the Abyss. Same candy white, also low mileage. So they do deliver, big time.

Jeff Griffin, Executive VW of North Haven CT. Man's been selling them for about 40 years now, gentleman and a scholar.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
What did you pay for it with the 8K miles on the clock?

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
$8K+ less than the BB price for that year/model/mileage. You do the math :), she's pretty easy.

Could I have waited another 6m and bought for le$$ ?
Could another problem surface with my '12 (with 108K on it) that would nick me for lotsa money ? I was definitely looking at suspension overhaul and TB job next year. Thats ~$3K right there, or $1K+ DIY

What really spooked me was the fact they DONT (yet) have a fix for GenII MT. Even with GenIII, you see them list .190 combined NOx+MNog for MT vs .160 for DSG.

But I slept like a baby last nite, knowing I am all set for next 8 years :)

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
BTW, somewhat of PSA:

- the BB is blackholed in Carfax. Simply doesnt show up

- VW apparently wont provide Carfax reports for TDI BBs (like they claim they do for all the CPOs). but worry not, buy a Carfax report for $4 on Ebay, get it in minutes

- Seems like mine came back from LotOfNoReturn in Michigan. I see this in Carfax:

05/22/2017** xxxx** Michigan*
Motor*Vehicle*Dept.*
Auburn*Hills,*MI*
Title*#xxxxxxxxxxxx
Title*or*registration*issued
to*manufacturer

-

Last edited:

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
got the title, just under 2 weeks.
Amazingly, took just about 10m at the DMV to register and title it.
Kept the plates and reused the registration from my '12, that was bought back .

STLTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI SE
Have been looking at used Sportwagen TDIs around here, but the dealers are treating them like gold plated chariots.

Dealers are marking up the SEs or SELs to $4-$5 above KBB value and then refusing the budge more than a few hundred dollars.

I literally had a dealer tell me today they won't sell theirs for less than $500 off asking, and that was for a '15 SEL with 20,000 miles on it. $27k and they won't budge. Amazing. Maybe it's just too early and there aren't enough getting on to the lots. With that kind of sales strategy, I'll be looking solely for "new" '15 TDIs.