Help with BHW head gasket on ALH

RCPaul

Veteran Member
TDI
none yet
Upgrading to BHW pistons in my ALH and can't seem to find the measurements for the BHW head gasket I need.

The highest protrusion I saw was .040" or 1.016mm, does anyone know which gasket will work for me or can you tell me where I can find the ranges for the 1, 2, and 3 hole BHW gaskets?

Also, does it matter if I am running arp head studs with final torque of 70 ft lbs?

Thanks!
Paul

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Why only torquing your head studs to 70? IIRC mine were at 125 ft/lbs.

To answer your question,
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=306773
says a 2 hole ALH head gasket should do the job, and they're at 1.53 to 1.57mm depending on the manufacturer (only looking at rockauto here)
looking at a bhw head gasket (2005 passat 2L TD application), their 2 hole ones are specced to the same thickness.

No idea if it has the right holes in the right places, I seem to remember another thread on it a bit ago, so you've probably already got that answer in your head.

RCPaul

Veteran Member
TDI
none yet
[486] thanks for the reply and the reminder about the torque on the arp studs, I was using a really old thread for the 70 ft/lb spec but I do remember the 125 ft/lb being correct.

I did see a thread (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=427652) talking about the holes but as far as I know I should be using the BHW head gasket.

This thread (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=327177) shows "before compression" measurements but I was wondering how much clearance your supposed to have between tdc piston to head.

If I use the 2 hole 1.53mm the clearance would be around .53mm right?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Huh, strange that your chart doesn't line up with the thickness of the BEW gasket that I saw on rock auto. Their supplier might just be crossing over the ALH gasket to reduce the stock they have to keep.

ETA: To go off on a tangent, on my engine with two bent rods and a lot of miles afterwords, the two with excessive piston/head clearance had a bunch of carbon buildup, and the two that were normal did not have any buildup. Might be a case for arguing against lowering CR with a thicker gasket.

Last edited:

RCPaul

Veteran Member
TDI
none yet
Huh, strange that your chart doesn't line up with the thickness of the BEW gasket that I saw on rock auto. Their supplier might just be crossing over the ALH gasket to reduce the stock they have to keep.

ETA: To go off on a tangent, on my engine with two bent rods and a lot of miles afterwords, the two with excessive piston/head clearance had a bunch of carbon buildup, and the two that were normal did not have any buildup. Might be a case for arguing against lowering CR with a thicker gasket.

I was going to order the 2 hole, you don't think it will work?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I was going to order the 2 hole, you don't think it will work?
No idea. Go by the thickness measurement listed rather than the number of holes. Seems that they aren't the same from engine to engine.