++ 2011 JSW 6MT Build ++

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT (and several others in the past)
The good news: Installing Audi S3 intercooler in prep for CR170 Stage 3.

The bad news: Been without my wagen for a month as it's getting fixed to the tune of $2,500 from an amazing amount of damage due to one little piece of rebar at the gun range (see images below).

Yes, chief range safety office was made aware and that one piece of protruding rebar has been ground off now :mad:.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
The good news: Installing Audi S3 intercooler in prep for CR170 Stage 3.

The bad news: Been without my wagen for a month as it's getting fixed to the tune of $2,500 from an amazing amount of damage due to one little piece of rebar at the gun range (see images below).

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/13/298c2f4335679773f3e117f6a0222684.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/13/13cad641f5a9fdf35f725f5c81506253.jpg

Where did that rebar snag on the bumper? :eek:

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Where did that rebar snag on the bumper? :eek:
It actually got a hold of the intercooler, that's why it must be replaced. I never even saw the rebar. It blended in really well with the dirt and old timber. The car drove over it ok, settled in the dirt parking lot, later when I backed out.... BOOM... and then pieces all over the ground lol. It was the only piece of rebar in the entire place! Just not my day.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
It actually got a hold of the intercooler, that's why it must be replaced. I never even saw the rebar. It blended in really well with the dirt and old timber. The car drove over it ok, settled in the dirt parking lot, later when I backed out.... BOOM... and then pieces all over the ground lol. It was the only piece of rebar in the entire place! Just not my day.

Total bummer!
I see why you upgraded the IC now :cool:

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Total bummer!
I see why you upgraded the IC now :cool:
Yup. My tentative plan is to go from Stage 2 to CR170 Stage 3 next year. I talked to Les at GDM and he said the only extra supporting modification I have to do is the intercooler. If I was dragging & tracking I'd be looking at flywheels & clutches. So.. assuming that's true then now all I need is an $800 turbo :cool:.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Yup. My tentative plan is to go from Stage 2 to CR170 Stage 3 next year. I talked to Les at GDM and he said the only extra supporting modification I have to do is the intercooler. If I was dragging & tracking I'd be looking at flywheels & clutches. So.. assuming that's true then now all I need is an $800 turbo :cool:.

From what I've seen and read with others that have stage 3 the stock clutch is OK so long as you're easy on it and don't hammer the throttle at peak torque (1800-2300rpm). The DMF is really the only thing to worry about for daily driving.

Mdub707

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Great build, looks like a lot of fun!

I know the engineer you speak of from ISSPRO, he's been a great guy to deal with and is also the main reason I use ISSPRO for damn near everything. Some of the best customer service I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with in all of the diesel industry.

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Been a while since an update...

Finally "finished" my custom emblems - getting lots of compliments and "what kind of car is that" from people:

Just ordered some stuff:
Powerstop Front Brake Kit (on sale till the end of October)

USB Charging

Garage Door Opener:

ECS Under seat drawers (both sides)

OSIR Gauge Pod

Almost forgot this guy on the steering wheel:

Got windshield replaced (though they installed the wrong windshield so we'll do it again on Monday). CR170 is still on the radar (S3 intercooler is installed). I just need to phone up Les @ GDM and put in an order. I also plan on purchasing his subframe kit as well as some Whiteline components.

Last edited:

relegate

TDI
2014 Sportwagen
Is the S3 stock location or front mount? These IC get a ton of heat soak and I've been contemplating a new one. The performance difference between cool and hot is dramatic.

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Is the S3 stock location or front mount?
Stock location, direct bolt on, in preparation for CR170 Stage 3.5.

Where did the USB and garage door setups come from?
I am guessing they came from Double Apex. Several vendors carry their stuff. I love the USB ports myself...
http://www.doubleapex.co/
Yup, DoubleApex. Got the garage door opener and USB charging switch done tonight along with relocating my boost & pyro to the OSIR center console pod.

So much better than that New South column pod rubbing and squeaking all the time.

I strongly recommend the DoubleApex kits. They are very nice, everything you need, good instructions.

Also installed both ECS underseat drawers last night. Those are pretty cool... wife's sun glasses and lip balm in her's... anti-terrorist solutions in mine :cool:.

Got my torque arm insert too but haven't installed that yet. Our 2nd son should be coming home this week from the NICU. After that happens I'll be letting JD Autosports take over installation duties.

Been really thinking about a GTI seat swap (interlagos). Has anyone done this? I think it could be really easy. Not totally sure what I would do with the rears though.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Been really thinking about a GTI seat swap (interlagos). Has anyone done this? I think it could be really easy. Not totally sure what I would do with the rears though.
I believe that it's a straight swap so long as it's the same generation car that the donor seats are coming from. MKV & MKVI should be interchangeable.

You might need to redo the seat airbag connectors and use the connectors from your old seats if it doesn't have the same style connector on the new seats.

Just so you know the standard golf tdi seats have the same side bolstering as the gti seats. The fabric on the golf tdi seats is actually grippier then the gti seats.

Last edited:

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Just so you know the standard golf tdi seats have the same side bolstering as the gti seats. The fabric on the golf tdi seats is actually grippier then the gti seats.
That's interesting. Do you know if the same is true for the Sportwagen? I swear the Sportwagen has softer seats but not as much lateral bolstering. There seemed to be a big difference between my wagen and a buddy's 2010 TDI Cup edition which I believe rocks interlagos also (at least they looked like interlagos).

Anyway, my complaint is when I drive "spiritedly", i.e. like a tool, those leatherette Sportwagen seats do nothing to hold you still.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
That's interesting. Do you know if the same is true for the Sportwagen? I swear the Sportwagen has softer seats but not as much lateral bolstering. There seemed to be a big difference between my wagen and a buddy's 2010 TDI Cup edition which I believe rocks interlagos also (at least they looked like interlagos).

Anyway, my complaint is when I drive "spiritedly", i.e. like a tool, those leatherette Sportwagen seats do nothing to hold you still.

The sport wagons have the same vinyl seats as the standard Jetta. So your findings are indeed true and exactly what I also found in that the lateral support they give aren't that great.

The gti seats are the same as the golf tdi seats. I found this out on a test drive of a mkvi gti after owning my car for a year.

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Received the Powerstop Evolution Front Caliper kit in the mail. Just placed the other half of the "Master Plan" order which is Tyrolsport Caliper Stiffening Kit, braided stainless lines, Master cylinder stiffening bracket, and 500mL of RBF600 Motul fluid.

I really don't think [even at CR170 Stage 3.5 and the type of driving I 'mostly' do] that I need a $2,800 BBK solution. So, I'm giving this setup a try which should pencil out to around $850.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Received the Powerstop Evolution Front Caliper kit in the mail. Just placed the other half of the "Master Plan" order which is Tyrolsport Caliper Stiffening Kit, braided stainless lines, Master cylinder stiffening bracket, and 500mL of RBF600 Motul fluid.

I really don't think [even at CR170 Stage 3.5 and the type of driving I 'mostly' do] that I need a $2,800 BBK solution. So, I'm giving this setup a try which should pencil out to around $850.
I think that you're on the right track. However, while they'll help with brake feel I don't think that the braided lines or the Master cylinder stiffening bracket is really needed for a street car.

The TyrolSport Brake Caliper Stiffening Kit is a must have from all I've read about it. I am actually planning to buy it so that when I bleed my brakes I can replace the crappy rubber bushings with the solid ones.

For brake pads check out the stop tech street performance pads. I had them on my previous car and found reviews right on point after I installed them... Cold stopping power was very good, much better then the OEM pads! I don't think that I ever was able to get them to fade. Even after about 10 hard (threshold braking) stops from 60-10mph (don't worry it was on a road with no traffic).

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
That DoubleAPEX stuff is slick!

When you go stage 3 what clutch are you planning on going with?

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
For brake pads check out the stop tech street performance pads...
I was targeting StopTech 309 pads but I'm going to try the ones that come in the Evolution kit first and see how they do. Thanks for the input! This is my first "performance focus" on brakes.

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
That DoubleAPEX stuff is slick!

When you go stage 3 what clutch are you planning on going with?
Thanks!

I talked to Les @ GDM and explained my driving applications and he said I'd be fine with my stock DMF & clutch. I plan to run them until I have problems and then just buy whatever is working best for Stage 3.5 guys.

There's a dude at work with a MKIV TDI Golf running a Stage 4 clutch. It was all that would hold up to his build. He went through (2) South Bend clutches. He won't go back to those again. I forget what brand this other one is but it was pretty cheap! But it's real stiff and grabby. Ughh.. just don't know yet lol.

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Quick update:

I've never been much of a tint guy but I went for it anyway (sorry for the crappy garage pic):

I definitely like the privacy and the shading when sunny. Also, I spent a little extra to get a new product that allegedly blocks like 80% of the heat coming in. Being this car is like a thermonuclear fish bowl in the summer time, I'm hoping I can truly feel the difference when I drive home at 4pm on a 90 degree Tuesday.

I bought the Powerstop Evolution kit for the front brakes. Turns out the front calipers are not meant for the wagen. So far that I can tell, they are meant for VW's with smaller rotors (we have the big boys on the wagen). So, I have to return them. And, I don't mind after seeing them in person as you can tell they are just OEM calipers painted Ferrari red. I did, however, install the drilled and slotted rotors up front, ceramic pads, stainless lines from Tyrol Motorsport (unfortunately the rear lines didn't fit so I'll need to exchange those), Tyrol caliper stiffening kit, Tyrol MasterBracket, and Motul RBF660 fluid. At this point, other than swapping out the rear lines when I get them, I think I'm done with brakes until I do some track days and find that I really wish I had more.

Lastly, I'm a big fan of Matt Farah's videos and especially his One Takes. I've even contacted him to review my wagen. Well, the bad news is he probably won't ever do it because the good news is he just reviewed damn near my exact build (Video for Austin Cabot's wagen and here's Austin's Wheel Well Page).

Last edited:

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Non-Update:

Been busy lately. Bought a Tundra to do everything the Wagen can't. I have Shadowline Black window trim covering and new front lip to have painted later this month. Stage 3.5 is indefinitely postponed :(

DieselCooter

TDI
2013 VW Jetta TDI 6MT
Love the build, sorry to here about the Stage 3.5 delay. Wondering how you like that S3 intercooler on stage 2? That's what I've got installed and have been considering it. Notice any throttle improvement?

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Love the build, sorry to here about the Stage 3.5 delay. Wondering how you like that S3 intercooler on stage 2? That's what I've got installed and have been considering it. Notice any throttle improvement?
I haven't dyno'd it again with just the S3IC, but it made really good numbers without it (171/317). Les at GDM claims we only need the S3IC because the stock connections on the stock IC are so poor they just blow off at the higher boost. I've had it happen to me on just Stage 2. I just need to save up the $1,200 or so for Stage 3.5. Really looking forward to it :). Thanks the kind words.

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
In talks with FixMyVW for CR170 kit and Stage 3.5. Just got a price quote... hashing out some final details and hopefully pulling the trigger soon.