Doggie proofing a JSW

vw_leadfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
meowguy said:
As Temple Grandon said on NPR the other day "animals make us human". Five dogs, five cats, two kids over 42 years. Kids make you proud and crazy, animals keep you human. ;)
I spoke too soon..... mine puked up grass this morning right onto the new washed towels on the floor.....easy clean up....towels get rewashed.....

x43x

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 SW
We've been putting a towel over the backseat because he tends to drool on the headrests and seats after running around at the dog park. This was before said drooling.

fleuger99

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
We're just about to pull the trigger on a 4 year old retired racing Greyhound. We've been looking for a while and we've found this wonderful boy named Henry. Now I have to start thinking doggy proofing my JSW.

fleuger99

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
vw_leadfoot said:
Beauty of a dog....please don't kill it. :rolleyes: I hope you just picked some poor words....LOL
Ha! Ha! I could never do that to any animal and certainly not this wonderful boy.

My wife and I debated for weeks because I loved Henry and my wife wanted a female that was all white save a circular brown spot on her back. So, I think in a few months we'll end up with another Greyhound which isn't a bad thing :D

vw_leadfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
fleuger99 said:
Ha! Ha! I could never do that to any animal and certainly not this wonderful boy.

My wife and I debated for weeks because I loved Henry and my wife wanted a female that was all white save a circular brown spot on her back. So, I think in a few months we'll end up with another Greyhound which isn't a bad thing :D
GOOD! :rolleyes: Too many Greyhounds are being put down due to race track closures......I figured you were just typing fast...LOL

Our second Ridgeback was 'adopted' from our breeder....she had 7 dogs and started taking care of her ill mother and started working more hours so she ended up giving us one of her favorites, our puppy's mother!....she had had 3 litters over the years and was recently spayed and our breeder knew she would get oodles of attention at our house...and so she does :) and she gets out for long daily walks.....she is only 5 and is enjoying her early retirement! She has been an amazing addition to our family....she is the one front and centre in my avatar ....

Last edited:

JetPuf

Veteran Member
TDI
White '98 Bug, Gray 2010 GL350
fleuger99 said:
We're just about to pull the trigger on a 4 year old retired racing Greyhound. We've been looking for a while and we've found this wonderful boy named Henry. Now I have to start thinking doggy proofing my JSW.

Beautiful dog.

We have a big black (turning grey) greyhound. we always find it entertaining how many VW's show up at those events.

For years he rode in the back seat with a seat cover. he's a bit weary of jumping in and out of the wagon... but he'll get there. We have the clear bumper guard on order, and the cargo gate is installed now.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
fleuger99 said:
Good on you. We've got two retired racers (technically only one ever raced, the other was an 'accidental breeding' at the kennel but went straight to the rescue at 3 months old) and had another before these two. Great dogs and they love to go for a ride in the TDI.

This is more their natural habitat, however:

fleuger99

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
JetPuf said:
Beautiful dog.

We have a big black (turning grey) greyhound. we always find it entertaining how many VW's show up at those events.

For years he rode in the back seat with a seat cover. he's a bit weary of jumping in and out of the wagon... but he'll get there. We have the clear bumper guard on order, and the cargo gate is installed now.
Nice to meet another VW/Greyhound owner :D

I've owned several dogs in the past but none being Greyhounds so I've been reading everything Greyhound as they do have some unique things related to growing up at the race track.

Post a pic of your dog (and VW) to keep it legit ;)

fleuger99

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
scurvy said:
Good on you. We've got two retired racers (technically only one ever raced, the other was an 'accidental breeding' at the kennel but went straight to the rescue at 3 months old) and had another before these two. Great dogs and they love to go for a ride in the TDI.

This is more their natural habitat, however:
Beautiful dogs. My wife is a fan of the fawn and white colouring while I like the brindle.

We'll have to start a VW (with Greyhounds) club :D

fleuger99

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
JetPuf said:
Pictures:

Thanks for sharing, great pics. I love the sleeping on his back. Do you need to lower the rear seat in order to fit him into the rear compartment of the JSW?

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Here's the dogs in their natural habitat, coming back on the roadtrip we took to OKC to pick up the greyhound bastard puppy.

We had Mingus for 4 years before he got sick and was put down, and what a great dog he was.

malisa

TDI
'10 JSW
We've got this one

http://www.ohmydogsupplies.com/quilted-reversible-hammock-seat-covers.html

We tried several local places and no one had this type of thing (someone earlier in the thread said Petsmart. We tried, no luck.)

It works GREAT. We actually ordered a different model and it was backordered. The other one was lower priced and since we needed it for a trip, via chat I asked that they send this one for the lower price of the backordered one and they did. Good customer service.

However I see now that THIS one is on backorder, so I guess that is a somewhat common thing for them. :?

My only complaint is that I have to put the seat almost all the way up if I'm driving the JSW and it's a little taught on my side when that's the case.

bdisco

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 4dr Golf & '12 T-Reg.
Does anyone know if the OEM dividing grille for the JSW would fit the 2010 Golf? We are about to take delivery of our Golf and I think the hatch would be the safest place to ride for our 10 week old Golden Beaver.

vw_leadfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
bdisco said:
Does anyone know if the OEM dividing grille for the JSW would fit the 2010 Golf? We are about to take delivery of our Golf and I think the hatch would be the safest place to ride for our 10 week old Golden Beaver.
The wagen part number is 1K9 017 221 and the Golf hatchback is 1K0 017 221.....so there is something different....not sure what.....

Golf hatchback:
http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/assets/common/pdf/accessories/golf-vi-accessories.pdf

Wagen:
http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/assets/common/pdf/accessories/golf-estate-a6-accessories.pdf

It will be very tight in a hatchback...only about 14 in" from the divider to the glass of the back window....not sure if a Golden would even be able to turn around.....unless you fold your seats down, then perhaps look at the mesh options behind the drivers seat.

Last edited:

fleuger99

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
scurvy said:
Here's the dogs in their natural habitat, coming back on the roadtrip we took to OKC to pick up the greyhound bastard puppy.

We had Mingus for 4 years before he got sick and was put down, and what a great dog he was.
They are totally out! :D

Moltenburn

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 B7 Passat 2.0 TDI
I haul a South African Mastiff and a Weimeranier in the back of my Golf. I fold the seats down, put a blanket of the whole thing. 2 doggie beds, and my rear tailgate I had clear bra put on just in case. So far so good.

vw_leadfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
Like I said already, I agree with JetPuf....any dog in a collision will send a flimsy tubular pressure-fitted bar system forward and the dog will go through the windshield....keeping a dog back there away from someone driving on a regular day is one thing, but always expect the unexpected....I do not regret one bit getting the OEM one....had one in my Passat, bought used for $200, and sold 3 years later for $200....they will always sell later on if you don't want it...Solid as a rock....

fleuger99

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Like I said already, I agree with JetPuf....any dog in a collision will send a flimsy tubular pressure-fitted bar system forward and the dog will go through the windshield....keeping a dog back there away from someone driving on a regular day is one thing, but always expect the unexpected....I do not regret one bit getting the OEM one
I just ordered my VW cargo area divider. It was MSRP of $371 and after the Keffer VW discount to VW Vortex members I got it for $287. It is a little pricey but I like that it fits perfectly for our JSW's and is solid as you mentioned above in the event of an accident.

BTW. Where in T.O. do you live? I lived in Thornhill for about 8 years, Bayview just South of HWY 407. My parents live in Richmond Hill.

vw_leadfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
I just ordered my VW cargo area divider. It was MSRP of $371 and after the Keffer VW discount to VW Vortex members I got it for $287. It is a little pricey but I like that it fits perfectly for our JSW's and is solid as you mentioned above in the event of an accident.

BTW. Where in T.O. do you live? I lived in Thornhill for about 8 years, Bayview just South of HWY 407. My parents live in Richmond Hill.
Excellent....that is cheaper than what I paid even with my friend's employee discount of 25% so I would imagine Keffer may have made $7 from you on that sale.....:D

I live Northwest of the city about 15 minutes north of Bolton (near Hwy 9 & 50), but before 2008, for 20 years, we lived across from High Park on Bloor Street West. We still have our condo there which we are currently renting....I work in Markham at the 404/Hwy 7, and thus why I bought a TDI, 65km commute one way....but getting home to my dream house that I designed on 5-acres of treed undulating forested rural land, and of course my two Ridgebacks (since we are in a doggie thread), makes it all worthwhile :)

fleuger99

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Excellent....that is cheaper than what I paid even with my friend's employee discount of 25% so I would imagine Keffer may have made $7 from you on that sale.....:D

I live Northwest of the city about 15 minutes north of Bolton (near Hwy 9 & 50), but before 2008, for 20 years, we lived across from High Park on Bloor Street West. We still have our condo there which we are currently renting....I work in Markham at the 404/Hwy 7, and thus why I bought a TDI, 65km commute one way....but getting home to my dream house that I designed on 5-acres of treed undulating forested rural land, and of course my two Ridgebacks (since we are in a doggie thread), makes it all worthwhile :)
I'm glad to hear it was a good deal. I buy all my VW parts from there because that 28% discount is good. So does it come with all the mounting hardware that you showed in your pics?

I know exactly where Bolton is, a friend lives "next door" in King City area. Sounds like you have a nice setup with 5 acres which is opposite of GTA homes where one can almost touch the house next door. We're in a similar setup here in Norfolk. It is about 30 miles (about 50 Kliks) to Boston. We have 1.75 acres of wooded land with a small stream running through it on one end. It was a great excuse to buy myself a new John Deere X300 this spring ;)

vw_leadfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
I'm glad to hear it was a good deal. I buy all my VW parts from there because that 28% discount is good. So does it come with all the mounting hardware that you showed in your pics?

I know exactly where Bolton is, a friend lives "next door" in King City area. Sounds like you have a nice setup with 5 acres which is opposite of GTA homes where one can almost touch the house next door. We're in a similar setup here in Norfolk. It is about 30 miles (about 50 Kliks) to Boston. We have 1.75 acres of wooded land with a small stream running through it on one end. It was a great excuse to buy myself a new John Deere X300 this spring ;)
Yup all the hardware should be there.....much more complicated than the Passat was but once it is all together it makes sense :D

Funny on the JDeere....I convinced my wife to "let" me buy an ATV with a utility trailer so I got a new Honda FourTrax 420cc this past February.....of course this had a lot to do with a 600 ft driveway that needs plowing in the winter so the main reason was plowing....beats paying a guy $60 a shot for 15 minutes and he makes a mess of the driveway and in the Spring I spend a full day getting gravel off the grass and relevelling the surface....in two years the plow part will pay for itself. Hauling rocks and logs all over the property in the trailer has been a godsend! Now being over 40, my back can't take all the lifting anymore!

Yeah the houses are stupid up here with the cookie-cutter subdivisions being inches from your neighbour....very different when I almost moved to Alpharetta north of Atlanta and for a fraction of the house cost up here I could get a country estate....

Email sent.

Last edited: