Trusted Mechanics, Boulder/Denver area?

MSWhite

TDI
'02 Jetta TDI
I have had my Jetta for slightly over two years now. I have done all of the maintenance on my own. Changing filters, oil, brake pads, bulbs, relay switches, etc... hasn't been a problem (with much help from the TDI Club), until the front turn signal bulbs both went out. I can't find the bulbs at any of the local auto-parts stores (though I have only briefly looked), and I hear that they are rather difficult to access. Also, since I have had the car for two years and it hasn't seen an experienced TDI mechanic, I think it might be time to bring it in to have things like the timing belt and clutch looked at. This winter, my mileage has dropped dramatically. It seems to be steadily decreasing from tank to tank. I put new tires and brake pads on in July, and got 47 mpg, then I hovered around 45 for most of the fall, and have been dipping down to 42 mpg on the last few tanks. This could be due to several factors including winter fuel, ultra-low sulfer fuel and the ski-rack on top (though the bike rack was there in the summer). So I would appreciate any advice you may have on which Boulder/Denver area mechanics are masters of the TDI. Thanks.

Matt

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Regional TDI-Club "Guru" is Steve Carroll in Aurora... I wouldn't go anywhere else for a timing belt in that vicinity...

His UserID here is "SCarroll"... send him a Private Message...

How many miles on the car ??? (the 2002's have an 80,000 mile rating on the timing belt...)

Yuri.

PS: the low mpg could be due to winterized fuel... but it wouldn't hurt to check the timing, either...

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
YES! Wolfsburg north of Amante coffee, Broadway and Lee Hill road (west)
Here is MARK's # 303/998-1859
He IS a great guy and will show how is done... and WHY. This is super feedback for our own sake and $ spent!

Hans already suggested Wolfsburg and I second it!

John

B4 Variant w/269K and wanting to burn some fuel..."road trip" anyone? :D

MSWhite

TDI
'02 Jetta TDI
Thanks for all the info. I got a recall noctice in the mail yesterday, so I'm going to swing by the dealer tohave them replace the brake light relay and the turn signals. But I'll go to either Aurora or N. Boulder to get the actual engine stuff looked at. Thanks again!

Matt W.

Mike_Van

Veteran Member
TDI
(SOLD) 2010 Golf, 2 door
Mark Frey in Boulder is also an option. He's worked on my former VW's (Jetta MK2, and Vanagon), and knows TDIs as well. If something breaks that I cannot fix, he'll be my first stop. I do not have any experience with the gent on Lee Hill Rd.

crzyjt

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI
I'll give another recommendation for Mark at Wolsberg. My car turned into a nightmare and he was able to sort it out.