TDI WVO Damage survey

JeffNLisa

TDI
98 Jetta
Fortuna Wolf said:
JeffnLisa, what do you consider to be a proper kit? I see there are some disparaging remarks about greasecar here. I bought my greasecar kit last August and haven't installed it. I really can't change the tank or solenoids, but I'm willing to modify the kit I have in any method within reason to attain the best results.

Hi Fortuna-

Sorry I was not in this thread for a few weeks. I was just going to link to some other discussions on the Greasecar forum and the Frybrid forum. But since a fair number of people have been in this thread, I'll answer everything you ask here, and hopes that others will see it here too.

Much of the disparaging stuff about Greasecar comes from earlier versions of their system, which honestly deserved the criticism. They have improved many aspects of it. Others are still lacking, and if you have seen my posts about this, I am pretty straight about these areas. But they can be made to work correctly.

The biggest problems that I have seen with a Greasecar system can easily be rectified, and while they have not advertised it, they actually have solved some of the problems.

One of the two biggest problems that you will get over time, and what has caused the greatest amount of grief, I think, for Herm, Jason, drivebi, et al, comes from improper and/or incomplete purge of the WVO from your IP when stopping the car. How you plumb the lines and how you stick to operating procedures will solve that. Here is the best way to plumb the GC system:

Diesel tank - diesel fuel filter - supply valve Normally Open (NO)
WVO tank - WVO fuel filter - (FPHE if you have one) - supply valve Normally Closed (NC)

Supply valve Common (COM) - LP/IP - Return Valve Common (COM)

Return valve NO - to diesel tank
Return Valve NC - to tee in WVO line before WVO fuel filter

I am not a fan of looped return, but it does put less stress on your IP. And plumbed this way, the only drawback is potential for an air bubble to get trapped in the loop. This plumbing does NOT backflush your WVO filter with diesel, and as long as the filter is adequately heated, which GC is, that is totally not needed. Some other loop plumbing methods cannot purge completely, and many systems are incorrectly plumbed. If you plumb the way I showed, then at purge, the WVO is sent down the WVO supply line back to the WVO tank, and you MUST time it to see how long a purge cycle is needed to get the WVO past the return valve and all replaced with diesel.

The way to do this is with a sight glass. Use a piece of clear tubing and put it in right after the return valve in the VO return line. After testing, take the clear line out. From my experience, you need to put it vertical, not horizontal, and with the fuel flowing down, not up. This will make it the easiest to see the change in the appearance of the fuel. You either need dyed diesel or warm WVO in the WVO tank. You can get dye to dye diesel a dark color and put that in the WVO tank (I've found that red diesel is not dark enough to be accurate), or if you use WVO, you need to drive the car on DIESEL ONLY until it's fully warmed up before testing this, because you DON'T want cold VO in there. I prefer the latter method.

With the vehicle idling, you switch back and forth between WVO and purge. BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO LAND ON DIESEL DURING THIS TEST. When you switch to WVO, it will take a minute or so for the fuel in the loop to become mostly WVO, and you will see the change in the look of the flow in the sight glass as it becomes more WVO (the diesel flows in a "jittery" flow, the WVO flows in a more straight flow). When you see it, you will know it. Once you can be sure it's WVO, then switch to purge and start your stopwatch (or carefully note the second hand on your wristwatch. Then walk back around to look at the sight glass, and look until the flow has completely changed to the diesel, and mark the time. On an 02 TDI, if your lines between the IP and valves are not abnormally long, this should take about 12-15 seconds, but each car will vary. I urge you to do the test multiple times. The first time we did it, we repeated it TEN times to be SURE. Just switch to WVO mode, let it idle a minute or so til it's back to WVO in the glass, and then switch back to purge and time it again.

Once you know the time, I would add about 5-10 seconds to that for my regular purge time, because when you see the fuel completely changed to diesel, there will still be trace amounts of WVO blended with it, which will gradually build up in your diesel tank. So let's say you timed 13 seconds, and you add 7, then that would indicate you should purge for 20 seconds if you purge at idle. Once you know the times and have purged correctly, then you can switch back to diesel.

Now once the IP is purged of WVO, there will still be some unused WVO in the injectors themselves. If you will not be starting the vehicle for an hour or more, you want to let it idle for another 20 seconds or so to finish burning the WVO out of the injectors, leaving only diesel in them.

If you purge while you are still a block or so from the house, while the motor is driving, the purge time can thoretically be shortened to about half (because at 2300 rpm the pump is passing the fuel thru a lot faster than at 800 rpm). But since there is no way to see the sight glass while driving to test it, I wouldn't shorten it more than a few seconds. All that means is a few more ounces of diesel in your WVO, which hurts nothing and is cheap insurance to protect your TDI.

The other biggest problems will come from if you switchover too soon, before the engine is hot enough, and/or more importantly, before the VO is hot enough. The GC system will get you good and hot, but it does take longer than in a Frybrid system.

If you haven't yet installed it, I would recommend you get some aluminum tube to use in your HIH instead of the PEX tube that comes with it. Copper will do fine but is harder to work with, and *can* be susceptible to cracking inside you HIH. Aluminum does not do this. You can get the aluminum tubing here
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...03versatube.php
or from McMaster Carr, part #5177K15 will take you to the page, and you can select the size that matches you PEX there.
AircraftSpruce give a 20% discount on a 50 foot roll, and then you'll have enough in case you want to also put an aluminum line in the coolant return hose from the tank to make another HIH for a WVO fuel return, that you can plumb later, either manually, or with a third solenoid valve (which not required, but is a good idea).

After changing to aluminum tubing, the heat on the filter is adequate if not terrific, and if you already got one of Omar's FPHEs you will have all the heat you need.

Put the FPHE right after the outlet of the filter, and before the switch valve. Plump so the coolant goes into the FPHE first, then thru the filter, then to the HIH to the tank.

I also cannot stress enough how important a fuel temp gauge and a fuel vacuum gauge are. I don't use in my car, but here do as I say, not as I do. The gauges will tell you immediately and constantly if you have adequate heat and/or if the IP is having to pull too hard to get fuel (which is then usually an indicator of a plugging fuel filter, or air leak in the lines).

It bears mention to be CERTAIN you tighten the flare fittings in the tank correctly. If you get them wrong, or under or over tighten them, they will leak coolant into your WVO fuel, and THAT will be catastrophic if any big slugs of coolant get into your IP. I wish GC would re-design that part, but they have had great success with it when it's done correctly, just make sure you don't do that part wrong!!

Other things I've seen with a GC system are bothersome, but not catastrophic.

Unless they have changed it, the access hatch is attached with sheet metal screws, which can easily strip, leaving the gasket loose, and resulting in some fuel weeping around the gasket. Some sealant solves this issue, but be aware of it.

Some have a fuel tank cap designed to vent thru the cap, and some of these will work great on a fuel of consistent viscosity like diesel, but on a sticky fuel of varying viscosity, like WVO, they will stick and not vent. Then you get suction in the tank. which will cause it to pull in. Then with the fuel weeping around the gasket, you will get little puddles of WVO on top of the tank, and when you open the cap it will "whoosh" air in, popping up the top of the tank, and splattering WVO all over your trunk.

This can be solved if you go to any tire store and get a new rubber tire valve, and remove the stem. Open the access hatch, drill a hole the correct size in the top of your tank (taking care not to let any of the aluminum shavings fall in the tank), and from the inside of the tank, pull the valve in with a pair of pliers so it "snaps" into the hole, exactly the way they snap them into the wheel at the tire shop. Attach a piece of rubber fuel line to that valve with a hose clamp, and you now have a perfect tank vent. I recommend running that over to a quart size Canola bottle and feeding it snugly into a hole in the lid and down to the bottom of the bottle, and then feed another piece snugly into another hole in the lid, just in about an inch or so, and vent that under the car. Now you have an overflow bottle, which will get a surprising amount of WVO in it, but it won't drip under the car and splash on the back of your car. And if the one hose goes all the way to the bottom, later the vacumm created in the tank by fuel being used will pull that overflow VO back into the tank.

Some foam pipe insulation to wrap the lines is always a good thing. It will help you switchover again faster after short-medium length shutdowns.

Then, the only thing you need to do is PRACTICE PROPER PROCEDURES!!!!

We are human, and occasionally you will flip the switch back to diesel instead of to purge. It happens, and sooner or later it will happen to you. To help alleviate problems if you get some cross-contamination, you can drive your diesel tank down to way in the red zone before refilling it, and this will HELP get out any small amounts of WVO that get in the diesel tank.

Different types of WVO will cause different problems in the diesel.

If you do not de-water it well, then more FFAs will stay in the VO, and if you have appreciable amounts of this in your diesel, it will dissolve and not clog anything, but will cause "fruit-roll-up" or "chicken-skin" to form in your IP, and this is NOT good!! I'll add a brief talk about de-watering in a moment.

If you use any Partially Hydrogenated shortening or any tallow (or if the restaurant cooks a lot of meats that leave animal fat in the VO), these things will melt fine in the Greaecar system, and burn just like any other VO in the motor. But if you get cross-contamination of this stuff in the diesel, the diesel cools it and cold it will make small blobs of solids that will plug up the diesel lines and the diesel filter. And these solids take a LONG time to dissolve in apassing flow of diesel, so trace amounts can go undetected, and eventually wash away. But large amounts will clog you.

So be VERY careful not to forget to purge correctly!!

As to filtering and de-watering:

2 empty drums to settle in is a good thing if you have the space. Time and temperature are your friends. The longer it can settle, and the closer you keep it to 90-100*F, the more stuff wil lsettle to the bottom. But pull from a few inches below the top, and go down with the level. Always pull off the top.

The settling of unfiltered oil is good, but you won't get the best settling until you have filtered to somewhere between 15 and about 80 microns. Larger stuff tends to inhibit settling, and smaller than 15 micron tends to not settle as well. Some cotton cloth will accomplish this perfectly, and what I use for that is blue jean. A jean leg can be made into a sock filter real easy, and while not reliable for finished fuel, for pre-pre-filter they are perfect. They are about 15-30 micron.

Then once you have pulled from the top of the settling barrels, thru the cotton cloth, NOW it's VERY IMPORTANT to treat this next step correctly.

Here, you have WVO that is filtered to around 30 micron. At that level of filtration, it will settle PERFECTLY if you can keep it around 90-100*F for a 8-12 hours. Nearly all of the water and any other sediment will fall to the bottom. If you can't keep it consistent at 90-100, then heat it to about 140 or so in an insulated barrel, and let it cool overnight. As it drops past 90-100, you'll get the same settling effect.

Then you have well settled and de-watered WVO on the top of that barrel. It is safe to draw the top 70% off of this. Then that goes thru an automotive fuel filter, to filter it below 10 microns, and you have perfect fuel.

The most concise way to make that system is with Dana Linscott's "Simple Handpump Prefilter Unit" that he sells the complete plans to make it on his website at www.vegoilconversions.netfirms.com and look for the "How To" files. One of the best $30 I ever spent.

If you want to then store that fuel, I have never needed any biocide, but it doesn't hurt. What you DEFINITELY want to do though, is fill the storage container FULL, and SEAL it so it is airtight. Clean vegoil cubies are great for this. Ifthere is no air, nothing can grow. I have used VO stored this way for 6 months with no issues, and Dana has used VO stored over 2 years this way with no issues.

I do have a short-term storage tank I use, and if the fuel will be used within a few weeks, that is fine. But if you do this, unless it is filled FULL, and SEALED TIGHT, do not put that VO straight into the car's tank without passing it thru a filter again on the way into the tank. I have a pump on my storage tank, and I just have an automotive fuel filter in the line after that pump, so any stuff that may have gotten into the VO will be filtered out on its way to the car's tank.

But if you pump from the Dana filter barrel straight into the car's tank, or into clean cubies that you fill full and seal, you don't need anymore than the one filtering barrel.

DieselBurps on the Frybrid forum uses multiple barrels, and settles and pulls the top 70% or so off into another barrel, thru as many cycles as he has barrels to put them. He refers to that as "racking" from the beer brewing industry, that's how they refine it. But he has space for a dozen barrels, and he lives in Florida where its warm year-round, and usually needs no electricity to do this.

I use a water heater element in my Dana filter barrel. It stays at 90-100*F 24/7, all the time. It uses about $5 a month worth of electricity. Maybe $10. Electricity is more expensive here in the summer, but the barrel uses almost none in the summer. In the winter when it uses a little more, electricity is cheaper.

Since the 20th was this past weekend, I hope you got to meet some other WVO users. Regardless, if you look on the Frybrid or Greasecar forums, GolfTDI and HJAlbert both post, and they live in NC. Both have been very helpful to me and to others, and may be willing to give you some help.

Installing the kit is very straightforward, and there are many pictures of different TDI installs on the Frybrid forum, Although a Frybrid works a little different than a Greasecar, the important details will be apparent.

If you've decided to grease, just do it right and best of success!!

Jeff

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Auto Sedan
Thank you for the great reply Jeff. The bit about plumbing was especially helpful and I'll make sure to follow it and the aluminum hose suggestion.

I'm also planning on replacing the rubber fuel hose with clear polyurethane hose since it should have better biodiesel resistance (and I may fill up the aux tank with that before I have enough grease). Will this be a problem?

To confirm, I do have one of Omar's FPHEs. The Greasecar Kit I have is nearly a year old and has two solenoids. The tank is as you described it and came with a small amount of silicone sealant to seal the top with. I do think that I'll have to modify the tank as you said for venting.

When I get in to drive again I will use vag-com and get you numbers on the injection quantity of the fuel. At coasting in gear its imperceptible. At idle its around 9mg, and when cruising its about 4x that, IIRC. I'll get you the actual numbers though. It sounds like if I purge a minute before I reach my destination the system will be fully cleaned.

I have plans to let it settle and filter down to 1 micron. I happen to have a bit of calcium chloride that I'll try using to dewater with. Any commentary on adding salt to veg oil to dewater it? I saw a thread by ForrestGump/Brian on it in the Greasecar forums. I'm just not sure about the possiblity of adding a hard mineral to the fuel that may pass through filtration.

Again, thanks very much!

PS, I was moving and didn't get to go down to the TDI meet. :(

Last edited:

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Drying salts work because their solubility in organic phase is next to nil (low ppt or less range.) Just make sure the salt is anhydrous first so it can absorb the maximum amount of water--do that by gentle roasting (unless it was kept tightly sealed, then this isn't necessary.)

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
I was actually thinking about making a saturated solution up of the salt and mixing that in so that there would be no solids that could become suspended in the oil. I'm not worried about the salts dissolving in the oil, but rather suspended crystals.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Fortuna Wolf said:
I was actually thinking about making a saturated solution up of the salt and mixing that in so that there would be no solids that could become suspended in the oil. I'm not worried about the salts dissolving in the oil, but rather suspended crystals.
Making a brine solution and pouring it in with bioD will also dry it, just make sure that it is a super-saturated solution (recall HS chem...heat it up to b.p. add salt until it will take no more, s-l-o-w-l-y cool and don't disturb; it will stay supersaturated). That's the definition of a 'brine': it is a supersatured salt solution of any inorganic salt/water.

You dont' need to worry about suspended cyrstals. They're way to heavy and will precip. out.

Both methods work great for drying, but anhydrous salt is more economical because you need a lot less. It's good for long-term storage and can be regenerated by roasting. Supersaturated brine solutions cost more because you use more salt to make them, but they are also reusable, without having to roast; but occasionally you have to re-supersaturate them by adding more salt at b.p.

Last edited:

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
You'll make a brine by adding it to the grease. I figured that all I would need to do is take the brine and concentrate it until crystals started to precipitate. Impurities should either crystallize before or after the choice salt (calcium chloride). Expect me to take a month or two to build the filtering setup and get some grease.

JeffNLisa

TDI
98 Jetta
A salt bath will help remove water, but it will also help remove solids. This is good, as the WVO left after that will be fully liquid down to at least what the ambient temp was when it was settled. Also, since any FFAs in the WVO are holding on the water, they will be gone too, and done correctly this WVO is very safe in an IP or injection system. It does still want to be hot though, because of the viscosity.

For WVO use, this is somewhat overkill, because the solids will melt fine in your Greasecar system, and will burn fine in the car. However, it will further reduce the ill effects of getting any cross-contamination in your diesel.

You do still want to avoid cross-contamination for the heat/viscosity reason.

I have seen a procedure posted for doing the salt bath by someone who has been doing it for nearly 25 years. Look in this thread for a discussion of that.

Clear hose would be nice for several reasons. However, I don't know about polyurethane, but some clear hoses will brittle and crack. For BioD safety, any of the stock VW lines that you replace, you can use "fuel injector hose" which is made by many companies and will say "SAE J30R9" on the side of it. I have not long-term experience with this hose, and so until I have years of running it I can't say from my own experience, but others who have 5 years and more have told me about that hose. I do know that if you wash the BioD properly, you can use regular fuel line and it won't hurt a thing. But if you ever get BioD from someone else -- including many commercial establishments -- you can get a HUGE variety of different qualities of fuel. And even though the stuff is $5 a foot, you only need about 6 feet of it or so, and it's a good insurance against surprise leakage or even broken-down rubber in your IP!!

If you post here and I dont see it for says, feel free to email me anytime. My email is in my profile.

Do keep us all posted!!

Jeff

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
JeffNLisa, do you have any data by any chance on the cetane rating of RUG, or the lubricity and cetane of WVO (minimum?).

Just curious about blending. I'm drawing up a plan on paper. Mix 3-10% RUG with WVO and blend well. Mix with salt bath and heat and allow to settle for several days.
Or salt bath it and then blend with RUG.

(and yes, I had that idea before reading the thread that you linked)

JeffNLisa

TDI
98 Jetta
Fortuna Wolf said:
JeffNLisa, do you have any data by any chance on the cetane rating of RUG, or the lubricity and cetane of WVO (minimum?).
Not much.

I know that even 5-10% WVO in diesel adds more than enough lubricity, even hot. But if it's cold, even 5-10% WVO can lead to upper ring land coking if you inject it cold.

I have read that WVO has a cetane rating somewhat below that of diesel, but as I recall it was only about 5-7 points different.

RUG has octane, which is counterproductive to cetane. At 3% of RUG, it's negligible, and the RUG does help thin gelling. More than about 5% of RUG, and you will want a cetane booster additive, over about 20% RUG, and I don't know what kinds of problems you might have.

I would not add any RUG before doing a salt bath. If adding some RUG, I'd do that at the end, just before putting in the tank. But I think I would mix it first before putting in the tank, as opposed to just putting in the tank and letting it mix itself.

On these issues I have no experience, only what I've read.

Jeff

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Jumping in late here, but once you take the WVO, and clear it up, and put a brine in it, and add RUG, if you tally up the gear, the time, and the supplies, aren't you spending more than you would just buying Bio ?

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, maybe it'll cost as much as just doing bio... but there's something oddly romantic about running a car on WVO.

JeffNLisa, I know that the lower the octane the more likely it is to self ignite. So, the lower the octane the higher the cetane. I don't know their relationship past that. Gasoline might have a cetane rating that's rather higher than diesel which would sort of turn it into a cetane booster.

Anyhow, I figure that once the engine has warmed up and you're injecting hot WVO the cetane doesn't matter quite so much.

Audi5000TDI

Banned
TDI
Passat, 1996, Grey
Less hassle to just go 400 yds from my home to the Shell station on the corner, put my credit card in the pump, pump filtered D2 into my fuel tank, get my credit card bill, and pay them online with online banking.

Everything else you suggest is a HUGE waste of time, money and resources.

YMMV, of course. For the miles I travel, this works best for me in terms of convenience in all factors.

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey, that's a great suggestion Audi! Can you send me a card too and I'll do as you do?

Oh, you won't give me your credit card? Well, keep out if you're not going to add anything.

passatwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon- sold, 2009 Passat Wagon 2.0T, 2010 Jetta sedan DSG
Fortuna Wolf said:
Well, keep out if you're not going to add anything.
Hey now, it seems to me that what he added was LEVITY, oh and a small dash of REALITY.

:)

Nitrowolf

Veteran Member
TDI
White 2003 Jetta TDI
passatwaggin said:
Hey now, it seems to me that what he added was LEVITY, oh and a small dash of REALITY.

:)
Could you point out where he added that? I can't seem to find it. All I found was a bunch of inane rhetoric... but it's entirely possible I missed it.

passatwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon- sold, 2009 Passat Wagon 2.0T, 2010 Jetta sedan DSG
Nitrowolf said:
Could you point out where he added that? I can't seem to find it. All I found was a bunch of inane rhetoric... but it's entirely possible I missed it.
Its satirical, isn't it?

JeffNLisa

TDI
98 Jetta
Gothmolly said:
Jumping in late here, but once you take the WVO, and clear it up, and put a brine in it, and add RUG, if you tally up the gear, the time, and the supplies, aren't you spending more than you would just buying Bio ?
I wouldn't know.

All I do is pour the WVO into a filter sytem, add nothing, and pump fuel out the other end. Costs about .06 a gallon.

Audi5000TDI said:
Less hassle to just go 400 yds from my home to the Shell station on the corner, put my credit card in the pump, pump filtered D2 into my fuel tank, get my credit card bill, and pay them online with online banking.

Everything else you suggest is a HUGE waste of time, money and resources.

YMMV, of course. For the miles I travel, this works best for me in terms of convenience in all factors.
And actually Audi5000, it's less hassle than even going to the corner, because my Shell station is also about 400 yards away, but my garage is only about 10 yards away. Takes me less time, and I can fill up in my pajamas.

Oh, and paying that pesky little credit card bill every month? I really do miss that part. But I had to be willing to give up something for the convenience of filling up at home. ;)

Jeff

Last edited:

nukefission

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Just read this whole thread and it's a good read. Thanks for all the input from all sides. I've been contemplating a grease conversion myself for the past year or so.

This might be oversimplfying things, but looking at those pics of clogged up IPs, couldn't that have been avoided by simply increasing the amount of time you run on regular diesel prior to shutting down the engine? With the distances I drive (140 mi/day) I would have no qualms about switching over to diesel 5-10 minutes before reaching my destination vs. ~30 seconds, if it means being absolutely sure that no VO will sit in the IP while the car is off.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
number are good

I did the math and .17 for VO and 1.5 for diesel thats a 1.70 a day to work figure 42 MPG and 140 miles. 2400 for diesel vs 450 for diesel and VO. thats apx 1950 a year savings - all you have to do is make it 4 years and the numbers will really snowball in your favor. In 6 years you could throw the engine away and be ahead. It really makes sense for you 140 miles and 240 working days. GOOD LUCK - keep records and keep us posted. I will be rooting for you.

BioDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
My fip seal leaked after one week on wvo. Seal shrinkage. Search here for more. Otherwise check the link in my sig.
One chipped Elsbett had total engine destruction.
One single-tank Elsbett sufured crankase oil polymerization.

I know another grease car owner who had two fips replaced while running wvo, but the failure was not traced to wvo ( repl. under warranty actually ). A couple greasecars and greasels also got coolant in their fuel.

Most failures have occured with DIY conversions. I'd say 90%.

Old Chinese proverb:
"He who says it can't be done shouldn't get in the way of she that is doing it!"

[advertisement]

Elsbett makes a dual tank kit for your P-D TDI. It's about $1250 USD
They will warranty your kit AND engine if you follow their guidelines.
They've sold thousands of kits in Germany.
vwrobert will like the fact that it comes with it's own fuel pump for the viscous wvo.
http://www.elsbett.com/us/about-us/introduction.html
[/advertisement]

I've saved $4500 so far , and am currently saving at a rate of $3000/year.
[vs my previous '96 Dodge Stratus]
You'd have to shoot me to take out my kit. :)

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
Biodiesel: interesting.

With regards to the coolant getting into the fuel, there's only 1 O-ring between the coolant and the fuel, and its not even viton. At least, it doesn't have the same colour as the viton O-rings I bought to replace it. I'll be using a fair bit of silicone sealant on it too.

I have everything for my WVO install except for the column pod to hold my gauges now. :)

Mainiac

TDI
2005 Passat, 2003 Jetta Wagon
2003 TDI Running WVO

I converted my 2003 Jetta, non-PD, to waste vegetable oil about 8 months ago, using the kit from Greasecar. I have about 10,000 miles on it since then, perhaps 7,000 running straight WVO.

So far so good. No problems to report. The extra fuel filter gets clogged every once in a while, necessitating a spin-off-spin-on change. Performance is identical on dino-diesel or veggie oil.

I am careful about maintenance, change oil with synthetic frequently, use injector cleaning additives regularly. I filter the WVO to 1 micron, and it is never stored outside, so water contamination is minimized.

Am I immune from damage? No. No doubt there is that potential. But, there are TDIs I am aware of with 60,000 trouble-free WVO miles on them. I suppose some may have been damaged and those stories likely never make it to the forums. But so far the fleet, if you will, is not suffering on a wholesale level.

WADR to those who tell you not to do it, not every converted TDI is going to face premature disaster. But, the jury is still out, and I realize I have experimented with an expensive car.

Time will tell.

DarrenUK

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Octavia 1999
Looks like we will be doing a PD single tank Elsbett coversion soon. It involves chip tuning, presently the ECU will have to be sent to Germany for modification. I'll post more as it happens. Pricing is to be similar to the non PD TDIs

Best

Darren

BioDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
As for WVO vs. biodiesel, I won't bother to counter some twisted 'analysis'
but can note that two friends who have or are currently making biodiesel are now switching to wvo.

WVO is definately easier than homebrew.
I can make 10-15 gallons / week with $0 and 1 hour of time.
I challenge any homebrewer to post their REAL numbers.

And it misses an important point.
Commercial B100 biodiesel is simply not available in 90% of the country.
WVO is everywhere.

bioTDInBENZ

Veteran Member
DarrenUK said:
Looks like we will be doing a PD single tank Elsbett coversion soon. It involves chip tuning, presently the ECU will have to be sent to Germany for modification. I'll post more as it happens. Pricing is to be similar to the non PD TDIs

Best

Darren
im curious about this...how about the in-tank pump. Supposidly these things cant take high viscosity fuel. WVO even mixed with K1 or RUG will still be way thicker then biodiesel.

DarrenUK

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Octavia 1999
Elsbett PD

I have no details at present - except that the conversion requires 'chipping' from my understanding of the PD engine (which is not complete) I would think that injector modification is not necessary. AFAIK the ECU can control the injection perameters necessary for a good SVO combustion.

Elsbett will offer conversions for 1.9 & 2.5 PD only - I guess the other engines will be covered in time.

I think that the vehicle we are going to convert will be the first PD Elsbett completed outside of the factory, almost certainly the first single tank PD in the UK.

I'll post more details as I have them.

Darren

BioDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
Darren,

very much interested (as an Elsbett dealer in the USA).
PLease post info on the PD 'eine-tank'

Elsbett provides an electric fuel pump with dual tank kits, so they may provide one with the single tank PD kit as well.

You can be sure they'll do it right.

rake

TDI
Transporter 1200 2.5 TDi
OK guys - Just read the entire thread after having put WVO/Dino 80.20 blend in my 5Pot ACV Code Common Rail TDi....

Need to ask....

When blended to this consistancy - wont the Dino thin the WVO to the required viscosity ?

Do you advise the same for blends as for WVO - I.e - dont do it ?

Cheers for any replies.

Ron.

BioDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
" When blended to this consistancy - wont the Dino thin the WVO to the required viscosity ?"

A mere 20% wont. 75% diesel / 25% VO is about the viscosity of B100, and is therefore safe.