Soft Suspension Setup

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
Hey all, im thinking im in need of a suspension setup as mine are squeaking bad and the ride isnt smooth at all...What do you guys recommend for the smoothest ride possible but affordable

Im also getting new tires and going through new ball joints and CV axle boots as mine are torn all around. I will be getting an alignment done too as my tires are worn out to the wire on one side but i have a good amount on the outer part of the tire still...

Trying to see if its worth putting the money into this at this point so let me know what you guys say! Thanks so much!

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Definitely need suspension, inside wear on the tires is a sign of that.
Bilstein OEM ride should be your best bet for cost and longevity.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

Bengoshi2000

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf (0M1)
I put Billstein TC sports on my Golf and I'm very happy with them (30k on them now). I think the HD variant would be way too harsh, imo.

Check your control arm bushings... the donut shaped rear one. If that's failing you will have alignment problems (don't ask me how I know).

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
OEM dampers are Sachs, not Bilstein. Sachs ride much better then the Bilstein TCs.

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
Thanks so much ill order up the suspension tomorrow

Im ordering the full set; i take it i just use the same springs and rent a spring clamp?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
How many miles are on the car? If it's less than 250K and it seems to sit level, the springs may be OK. But if you have doubts, replace. Be sure to replace the strut and shock mounts.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Springs really aren't that expensive, and having to install them twice is a real pain. A new set of both front and rear can be had for less than $80.00 w/o shipping.

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
Good to know! Car has 201k on it and the suspension was changed on the front (not sure about rears or the springs)

I need to find out where i can order

strut and shock mounts
springs front and rear
front and rear suspension

Bolts are still good and they look like they've been replaced

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
thats perfect thank you! Im gonna do some more research though if its worth going with bilstein over sachs

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Just remember that Bilstein are low pressure gas and valved firmer. They ride harder than Sachs, especially in the light Golf rear. Lots of people like them, but not me.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Just remember that Bilstein are low pressure gas and valved firmer. They ride harder than Sachs, especially in the light Golf rear. Lots of people like them, but not me.
I do have a wagon and the Bilstein HD.
Never did anything with a Golf, so, IBW has far more experience with that.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk