Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
The July futures contract for West Texas Intermediate crude is down about $5/barrel so far this week.

The June futures contract for ULSD is down about 15 cents/gallon and RBOB gasoline down about 12 cents/gallon.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
If only they would stop diverting fuel taxes AWAY from roads to fund non-motor vehicle projects!
I was not asking you I was asking knucklehead. He is in Washington state and you are in Az. Also please explain where these fuel tax funds are being diverted to, non-transportation related.

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Actually I'm in the CPR but in the process of moving to AZ.

The recent massive fuel tax hike here that was to be spent SOLELY on roads for motor vehicles had almost 1/3 of it was diverted to NON-road projects like park beautification and job training for felons. The tax hike was sold on the promise it would be used to repair motor vehicle roads. The reason our roads in the CPR are in such poor shape is because the earlier fuel taxes paid for road maintenance and construction have been siphoned off for decades and spent for non-road purposes.

BTW, I was pretty much agreeing with BOTH of you; it is the diversions away from the reason for the fuel taxes in the first place that I consider robbery.

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Actually I'm in the CPR but in the process of moving to AZ.

1/3 of it was diverted to NON-road projects like park beautification and job training for felons.
Please show me this info/documentation. Otherwise, it's just heresy to me. Also, the citizens of the CPR must not have protested very hard at all or did they?

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Please show me this info/documentation. Otherwise, it's just heresy to me. Also, the citizens of the CPR must not have protested very hard at all or did they?

If you lived in the CPR, you would have known all about it as it was covered in the newspapers, local newscasts, etc.

There was a referendum on the gas tax increase but the Secretary of State here rewrote the description and ballot title to hide the fact it was a REPEAL of the tax hike and made it seem like a plan to destroy the roads. When this subterfuge was protested before the vote, the judge supported the change over the will of the people. So of course the repeal failed. The next step of the hike goes into effect and will make the CPR have the highest fuel taxes in the nation eclipsing Hawaii.

Note: anyone know why a double-space converts into a triple or quadruple-space when posted?

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
romad, hope you find some happiness with life in AZ, since CA seems to be touching a nerve. If you start looking with any intensity at taxes (both federal and state) collected for one purpose that are put to use for another, you'll find plenty of examples. Social Security withholding going into the general fund is one that immediately comes to mind.

Road use taxes have been going into general funds for many states for years. Doesn't make it right, but it's probably not going to change, either. In Massachusetts we're trained to be happy to pay taxes. That way we're not disappointed.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
romad, hope you find some happiness with life in AZ, since CA seems to be touching a nerve. If you start looking with any intensity at taxes (both federal and state) collected for one purpose that are put to use for another, you'll find plenty of examples. Social Security withholding going into the general fund is one that immediately comes to mind.
Well, I'm a Native Californian and I saw the downhill direction back in the 70s; I only came back to the CPR when I retired from the USAF because my parents were still alive. Now that they are gone, I'm getting the hell out of here. Oh, I agree with you on the mis-use of Social Security funds; then again it is a Ponzi Scheme.

Road use taxes have been going into general funds for many states for years. Doesn't make it right, but it's probably not going to change, either. In Massachusetts we're trained to be happy to pay taxes. That way we're not disappointed.
So that is why it is called "Taxachusetts"! :D

Where are John Adams, Samuel Adams, John Hancock, et al. when you really need them. As the t-shirts said during the Bicentennial, "1776 Taxation Without Representation 1976 Taxation With Misrepresentation"

BTW, does Massachusetts tax diesel at a higher rate than gasoline as does California? Here the tax/gallon on gasoline is 47.7¢ plus a 2.25% sales tax (calculated with all other taxes included); on diesel it is 67¢ plus a 9.25% sales tax.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Part of happily paying taxes is not knowing.:D

But I just looked, and gasoline and diesel taxes are the same.

Taxachuestts isn't really a fair label anymore. Our income tax is lower at 5.10% than a lot of states, and we are a flat rate tax state. Sales tax is 6.25%, also lower. And although property values here are generally higher than average, property tax rates aren't nearly as high as states like New Jersey, some counties in NY State, and, of course, CA.

No doubt it's expensive to live here. But not the most expensive. I have a lot of relatives in LA and cost of living there is pretty stunning.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
The July futures contract for West Texas Intermediate crude is down about $5/barrel so far this week.

The June futures contract for ULSD is down about 15 cents/gallon and RBOB gasoline down about 12 cents/gallon.
In colorado RUG has been on a steady rise for since march, from under $2 a gal to last week in the $2.66 range last week at it's highest at the lower price station near by. D2 has been holding from ~2.90-3.10 range, not really changing in weeks...

I did notice yesterday that RUG had dropped $0.10 since last weekend, $2.55 range in several places in the area....we will have to see if D2 prices drop in the coming weeks....

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
In most states, about half of the funds for infrastructure come from property taxes. I think it is Bike Law website that does a fairly good job at spelling it all out. The only time I saw the local government admitting to where they spent it all was about 30 years ago when we lived in Racine, Wi. They published where every dollar of your taxes were spent each year.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Saw it range from 3.08-3.15 crossing the northern end of Idaho down to Kalispell, MT.

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)
CoSprings, CO area
$2.99

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Filled up in Bellingham, WA at $2.89/g last week.
Locally (Vancouver Island), we're at $132.9/L (C$) or $3.77USD/gal.

RUG, though, is $1.50/L ($4.27USD/gal) locally, so on 10K km of driving (compared to Fuelly's average for an AllTrack of 26.5mpg (8.8L/100km) to my 44mpg (5.4L/100km), I'm saving ~$600CAD.

Winning! :D

legendman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5sp
Cali tax went up 6 cents today.

I won't complain about paying $3.09 a gallon for Diesel here in Eastern Connecticut, at least for a little while

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I was in SoCal in late April (guessed where you are by the In n Out across the street) and diesel was $4.49 at some stations. Yikes.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It actually went up higher for diesel, IIRC there was an additional hike of about 3¢ per diesel gallon. That explains why the diesel price jumped from $3.499 last night to $3.599 early this morning at the station around the corner.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I filled for $2.69 in SC last Friday. All fuel taxes went up 2 cents in SC yesterday. As we plan our trip to RAGBRAI in a few weeks, we know to avoid filling up in Illinois. They now have the greatest fuel taxes in the US.

CheapBastard

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
My Propel station is the same price as it was befor the .06 tax increase, just drove by it this morning and same price as last week

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My Propel station is the same price as it was befor the .06 tax increase, just drove by it this morning and same price as last week

IIRC, certain alternative fuels like E85 and renewable diesel are currently exempt from some of the fossil fuel taxes.

Baron VonZeppelin

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI, 81 VW Truck TiDi, 85 Jetta TiDi
$2.61 in Central/Piedmont N.C.
Regular Gas $2.49

Gas spiked last week from $2.29 to $2.65 overnight , putting it higher than Diesel for a few days. First time in ages that Diesel was cheaper than Gas.

Rotella Synthetic is down to $20 gallon.
Lowest price i can recall since 2007

Mobil 1 TDT Synthetic is around $24 gallon
(re: Walmart prices)